Wheels and Tires

About to pull the trigger on a new SUV, last minute advice.

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 5th, 2020 1:45 pm
[OP]
Jul 2, 2015
257 posts
261 upvotes
Dartmouth

About to pull the trigger on a new SUV, last minute advice.

Last edited by LindsayD156134 on Feb 5th, 2020 6:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
32 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9651 posts
9180 upvotes
Don't 2nd guess yourself on RFD after you have signed something. You will feel worse.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
6740 posts
6434 upvotes
Ottawa
LindsayD156134 wrote:
Two questions though: Two upsales I'm somewhat curious about, one is the 6 year maintenance package that covers breaks, rotors, wipers(was told they replace every 6 months) and fluids for 2600 i think. Which seems like a good deal on paper when factoring in one break job and 6 years of oil changes. .
That seems expensive tbh.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38220 posts
24397 upvotes
Center of Universe
Go for the Ranger and stay the f away from the Edge.
Don't buy any extra BS except for ESP, which you can buy from the US if you have a mailing address.
Banned
Apr 27, 2019
406 posts
289 upvotes
What is need vs want? Will $100/month pay down mortgage faster?
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
891 upvotes
the service plan is a rip off..the rust inhibitor is snake oil sales...completely debunked scientifically
[OP]
Jul 2, 2015
257 posts
261 upvotes
Dartmouth
Konowl wrote: That seems expensive tbh.
I did the rough math of $100 an oil change every 6 months, so $1200 over 6 years.

Then 1 brake job could put me near mid 2k.

2 Brake jobs and I've made my money back.

Not factoring in any other freebies I can score with it, wipers, fluids, etc.
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
891 upvotes
if you only put on 30k km in 4 years(so 45k km over 6) you will get about 5-6 free oil changes at $70 = approx $420 and full brake job on an escape ?? if you shop around about $800 or so....$2600 is a joke....
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19738 posts
23150 upvotes
GTA
vkizzle wrote: Go for the Ranger and stay the f away from the Edge.
Don't buy any extra BS except for ESP, which you can buy from the US if you have a mailing address.
Why do you say that? Ranger is in first year of production so likely more quality issues. Edge hasn't changed significantly since 2015 I think?
Ranger sucks if you put anyone in the back. The cab is very small. It does look cooler than the Edge, which just looks like all of the other generic SUVs. Edge will have better comfort and nicer interior. The never version of the Ranger should be much nicer, since the current model was designed for poor countries.
Personally I'd pick the Edge, unless I specifically need the bed to haul stuff.
Really though, both will suck to drive compared to any sports car. I love the winter with my RWD coupe, even rides potholes/speed bumps better than my wife's SUV, unless they're crazy deep.
Fjr2005 wrote: the service plan is a rip off..the rust inhibitor is snake oil sales...completely debunked scientifically
+1, if you want to keep it a while and protect it, get CorrosionFree treatment.
LindsayD156134 wrote: I did the rough math of $100 an oil change every 6 months, so $1200 over 6 years.
Then 1 brake job could put me near mid 2k.
2 Brake jobs and I've made my money back.
Not factoring in any other freebies I can score with it, wipers, fluids, etc.
lol, who pays $100 for an oil change for a Ford? That's a $30 DIY, even less if you buy on sale.
DIY brake job is $200, $400 if you bring the parts to an indy mechanic.
Wipers are $10 or less on sale.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1731 posts
1772 upvotes
Which one are you going with, Edge or Escape? 2020 Escape has been completely re-designed, that's why 2019s have such big discounts. I'd turn down the extra packages. They're not worth it at all.

What was the deal like, are you leasing or financing? Did you check out Honda, Toyota?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7676 posts
909 upvotes
Toronto
650 a month for 7 years for an Edge? About 55 grand? That seems like a lot.
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
891 upvotes
LindsayD156134 wrote: I drive more, maybe 12k a year. Reason why my car was so low is I was storing it for 6 months a year. But I'll still be getting oil changes every 6 months, not every 8k.

Also most places charge closer to $100 here for an semi synth oil change, well most the quicker places.

Most are saying its a rip so I probably wont go with it.
ford service rec is every 12k so you will only need 6 oil changes over 6 years...6 mth/6,000 km is redundant for semi synthetic
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
891 upvotes
[quote=engineered post_id=32113499 time=1580861558 user_id=82363
Why do you say that? Ranger is in first year of production so likely more quality issues. ]

CURRENT model Ford Ranger has been in production for over 4 years in Europe...is actually due for a full refresh soon
[OP]
Jul 2, 2015
257 posts
261 upvotes
Dartmouth
frogger wrote: 650 a month for 7 years for an Edge? About 55 grand? That seems like a lot.
Yeah It's 4% interest. Also taxes here are 15%
Sep 16, 2015
666 posts
1332 upvotes
Calgary, AB
engineered wrote: Why do you say that? Ranger is in first year of production so likely more quality issues.
LOL. The current T6 Ranger was introduced in 2011.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38220 posts
24397 upvotes
Center of Universe
engineered wrote: Why do you say that? Ranger is in first year of production so likely more quality issues. Edge hasn't changed significantly since 2015 I think?
Ranger sucks if you put anyone in the back. The cab is very small. It does look cooler than the Edge, which just looks like all of the other generic SUVs. Edge will have better comfort and nicer interior. The never version of the Ranger should be much nicer, since the current model was designed for poor countries.
Personally I'd pick the Edge, unless I specifically need the bed to haul stuff.
Really though, both will suck to drive compared to any sports car. I love the winter with my RWD coupe, even rides potholes/speed bumps better than my wife's SUV, unless they're crazy deep.

+1, if you want to keep it a while and protect it, get CorrosionFree treatment.

lol, who pays $100 for an oil change for a Ford? That's a $30 DIY, even less if you buy on sale.
DIY brake job is $200, $400 if you bring the parts to an indy mechanic.
Wipers are $10 or less on sale.
New Ranger is based off Ford's existing engine and tranny.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19738 posts
23150 upvotes
GTA
LindsayD156134 wrote: Thank you for taking the time to respond to each of my concerns in great detail. You are making me feel a lot better about my decision to go with the Edge.
Unfortunately I am not that agile anymore so I can't really do my own Oil Changes, I'll always be paying someone else for them.
I'm going to scratch getting any of the 'up sales' which will keep my monthly down. I'll just have to shop around for oil changes.
I keep my cars pretty clean, almost monthly getting them a fully body wash. Sometimes more if it is really dirty. So i'll probably look at third part anti corrosion options.
I do plan to keep this car until its 'dead'. I wouldnt be getting another car at this point if I originally got a SUV.
Also I do agree with the ranger should of been 'Nicer' It is just an out of market ranger with an extra coat of lipstick. I fully expect the next ranger to be a significant upgrade.
That's fair about the oil changes and brakes, you can still go to a good indy shop and have it done for less than most dealers.
Fjr2005 wrote: [quote=engineered post_id=32113499 time=1580861558 user_id=82363
Why do you say that? Ranger is in first year of production so likely more quality issues. ]
CURRENT model Ford Ranger has been in production for over 4 years in Europe...is actually due for a full refresh soon
jaybeeg wrote: LOL. The current T6 Ranger was introduced in 2011.
Yes, the Ranger is an older platform, but they modified it for NA production and started building in Michigan last year. An all new plant is a huge change and can introduce issues, just like an all new model.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7676 posts
909 upvotes
Toronto
LindsayD156134 wrote: Yeah It's 4% interest. Also taxes here are 15%
Yeah your "discounts" are due to them getting kickbacks from Ford finance thinking they are making a killing on this deal, 7 years at a high rate.
Sep 22, 2014
418 posts
167 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I'd get the ranger because I cant stand the edge. The ranger will have better resale because everyone loves pickup these days.

It does seem like you're paying a lot in the long run.