• Jul 9th, 2020 7:04 pm
[OP]
Oct 17, 2007
81 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto

Above ground pool - permit confusion

RFD brain-trust!

We recently lucked-out and finally found an above ground pool available in stock at one of the big-box stores ... we've been looking for the past month+ ... Pool has been paid for but not picked up yet.

Now I was doing further research into the requirements and attempting to parse the City of Toronto bylaws - was hoping someone here could provide some guidance. I did search through the forum and didn't see this question asked, but I apologize if it's a repeat.

The pool is 48" deep, i.e. more than 1.2 m. As I understand it, the minimum height for a pool enclosure is 1.2 m, and the pool itself (if it's above ground) can count towards that total if it isn't climbable. However, looking more closely at the bylaws here: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/municode/1184_447.pdf - it says the following:

"Subsections A through E do not apply to an above-ground pool erected before July 6, 2000 if the pool complies with the following standards: [Amended 2018-12-13 by By-law 54-2019](a)The pool is not less than 1.2 metres above grade;"

So where does that leave me? What about pools erected now that still meet the 1.2 m height requirement?

Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
5 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1183 posts
2097 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
48" is only 1.219 meters. No one is going to say anything about 1.9cm. Don't worry about it. Set it up and enjoy!
[OP]
Oct 17, 2007
81 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the reply!

Just to clarify my question - the 1.2 m is a minimum, not a maximum, so I'm just above the minimum amount ... all good, there!

I'm just not sure how to interpret "before July 6, 2000" ... what if it's after that date but still has this minimum height??
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11738 posts
6928 upvotes
Paris
I think you need a fence and gates no matter what if deeper than specified.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4741 posts
2000 upvotes
WFH
Why not call the city and ask? At the end of the day, it's over 600mm so it's defined as a pool and therefore needs an enclosure. Even if you are planning to use the pool wall as the enclosure you will still need a permit and you will need to have it inspected before filling it.
Last edited by dirtmover on Jul 9th, 2020 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1307 posts
874 upvotes
London, On
movingout wrote: Thanks for the reply!

Just to clarify my question - the 1.2 m is a minimum, not a maximum, so I'm just above the minimum amount ... all good, there!

I'm just not sure how to interpret "before July 6, 2000" ... what if it's after that date but still has this minimum height??
It's to grandfather existing pools that don't meet current regulations. Yours is new so that doesn't apply to you, your pool fence must meet whatever the regulations say.