Automotive

ABS, power steering and battery light came on..whats the issue?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 8th, 2021 6:31 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
4594 posts
19428 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

ABS, power steering and battery light came on..whats the issue?

Anyone know whats going on? 2007 Mazda3. Battery, ABS and power steering light all came on while driving. Power steering light came on and off randomly so I would lose power steering sporadically which is dangerous. When I drove home later though, the lights went off. But I drove it the next day and the lights sporadically went on and off again.

Battery was changed 2 years ago (Costco). Battery connections were tight. Battery test was fine.

Update: So I had my alternator replaced a couple weeks ago due to having the power steering, ABS and battery light come on. Now the car is struggling to start. It'll take several seconds of cranking with the key and then itll start. One a couple occasions when the car initially starts, the speedometer needle would flip to 220km/hr then drop back to zero.

Battery was replaced Aug 2019 (from Costco). I'm wondering if I should try a new battery and see if thats the problem?

Any thoughts are appreciated!
Images
  • 20210209_092433.jpg
Last edited by stovetop on Mar 6th, 2021 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
44 replies
Jun 21, 2006
860 posts
502 upvotes
Probably the alternator or a really bad battery you should tow it in a shop since it can stall while driving
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
4101 posts
6125 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Any recalls for this car? Quick Google search shows that you're not alone with this issue.
Sep 25, 2018
969 posts
1987 upvotes
Rodent got to your electrical wires?
Before you speak: THINK
T = is it True? H = is it Helpful? I = is it Inspiring? N = is it Necessary? K = is it Kind?
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
4594 posts
19428 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
mxthor3 wrote: Any recalls for this car? Quick Google search shows that you're not alone with this issue.
Just checked, no recalls. Sounds like an alternator problem from what I am reading online.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
2214 posts
3798 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
stovetop wrote: Just checked, no recalls. Sounds like an alternator problem from what I am reading online.
Yup. Electrical power steering assist will stop working if the alternator fails.
When I was young, I was poor. Now, after years of hard work, I'm no longer young.
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
3019 upvotes
keenland
Deepwater wrote: Yup. Electrical power steering assist will stop working if the alternator fails.
first thing you check is did your fan belt break? ,..if not ..alternator..most scam garages will sell you a battery first..do your due diligence
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
It's a common misconception that the "battery light" has anything to do with the vehicle's battery. The manufacturers don't make it any any easier by making it look like...a battery. It's a charging system light and is related to low system voltage which typically means the alternator. I guess the thing is if they made the light look like an alternator, the same people that think it means "the battery", would have no idea what the icon was depicting lol.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6991 upvotes
GTA
I had a 2004 mazda3 that had the same symptoms a decade ago. It was the alternator.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
4594 posts
19428 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Deepwater wrote: Yup. Electrical power steering assist will stop working if the alternator fails.
cardguy wrote: first thing you check is did your fan belt break? ,..if not ..alternator..most scam garages will sell you a battery first..do your due diligence
ES_Revenge wrote: It's a common misconception that the "battery light" has anything to do with the vehicle's battery. The manufacturers don't make it any any easier by making it look like...a battery. It's a charging system light and is related to low system voltage which typically means the alternator. I guess the thing is if they made the light look like an alternator, the same people that think it means "the battery", would have no idea what the icon was depicting lol.
coriolis wrote: I had a 2004 mazda3 that had the same symptoms a decade ago. It was the alternator.
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like the alternator then. Is it still best to pay for "diagnostics" or should I just bring it in and tell them to change the alternator. Reason I ask is because the dealership charges $158/hour for labor and they said it'll be about 30 mins to diagnose based on my complaints. I was quoted $842 all in (tax, labour, parts) to change the alternator. OEM part itself is $500 but I can get 10% off from them so it would be $450. I called Lordco and they have an AC Delco for $425....I'll stick with OEM if its only $25 more. If I have them diagnose it would probably be an additional 30 mins labour and they may just come to the same conclusion: that my alternator needs replacement.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
2188 posts
1682 upvotes
If you have a multimeter then you can diagnose yourself in 5-10 minutes (including learning how to use the multimeter).

If you are in the GTA I highly recommend @iGarage (first to respond to this thread).
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
2188 posts
1682 upvotes
stovetop wrote: Thanks for the replies. Sounds like the alternator then. Is it still best to pay for "diagnostics" or should I just bring it in and tell them to change the alternator. Reason I ask is because the dealership charges $158/hour for labor and they said it'll be about 30 mins to diagnose based on my complaints. I was quoted $842 all in (tax, labour, parts) to change the alternator. OEM part itself is $500 but I can get 10% off from them so it would be $450. I called Lordco and they have an AC Delco for $425....I'll stick with OEM if its only $25 more. If I have them diagnose it would probably be an additional 30 mins labour and they may just come to the same conclusion: that my alternator needs replacement.
If you are comfortable taking it to an independent mechanic, you could probably get it done for $400-450 all in using a quality aftermarket part.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4615 posts
3080 upvotes
On another car something similar happened to me a few years back and it was a chewed up plastic pulley which shredded the serpentine belt.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9503 upvotes
Winchester
stovetop wrote: Anyone know whats going on? 2007 Mazda3. Battery, ABS and power steering light all came on while driving. Power steering light came on and off randomly so I would lose power steering sporadically which is dangerous. When I drove home later though, the lights went off. But I drove it the next day and the lights sporadically went on and off again.

Battery was changed 2 years ago (Costco). Battery connections were tight. Battery test was fine.
What codes did you pull up with your scanner?
Upvoting respectful and helpful RFDers since 2007
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1791 posts
1181 upvotes
Vancouver
stovetop wrote: Thanks for the replies. Sounds like the alternator then. Is it still best to pay for "diagnostics" or should I just bring it in and tell them to change the alternator. Reason I ask is because the dealership charges $158/hour for labor and they said it'll be about 30 mins to diagnose based on my complaints. I was quoted $842 all in (tax, labour, parts) to change the alternator. OEM part itself is $500 but I can get 10% off from them so it would be $450. I called Lordco and they have an AC Delco for $425....I'll stick with OEM if its only $25 more. If I have them diagnose it would probably be an additional 30 mins labour and they may just come to the same conclusion: that my alternator needs replacement.
I know it gets said alot, but don't go to the dealer. If it's something straightforward an independent won't charge for a diagnostic in my experience.
Jun 21, 2006
860 posts
502 upvotes
if you havent changed the belts best to get them changed together but it will be bit more than other cars becuase the alternator belt is underneath the AC stretch belt
our alternator price parts and labour is $400 rebulit incs recharging the battery with 1 year warranty
and drive belts $160
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
4594 posts
19428 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
bizzyseller wrote: If you are comfortable taking it to an independent mechanic, you could probably get it done for $400-450 all in using a quality aftermarket part.
I don't mind independent shop but not.sure how it can be done for $400-$450 considering i got a quote for just an AC Delco alternator for $425. Not sure how much other brands cost.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)