Home & Garden

ABS Sewage Pipe -- Is this Connected Right?

• Last Updated:
  • May 20th, 2015 11:10 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2010
1044 posts
121 upvotes
London

ABS Sewage Pipe -- Is this Connected Right?

We had a handyman come in to install a new, small bathroom in the upper floor. I am concerned about the waste pipe and how to connects with the existing pipe.

I've attached a photo below. Thee old piping ran horizontally from left to right of the image connecting to the older rusted looking iron pipe (which runs out of the house -- not shown). There was no vertical running pipe.

After the handyman was complete he added the vertical ABS pipe which comes directly down and connects with a Tee to the main sewage pipe (see photo). My biggest concern was the perfect vertical drop into the Tee; there is no angled bend to direct the waste toward the cast iron direction. Wouldnt the waste just smack directly at the bottom of the Tee and "maybe" decide to run left (back into the house) instead of right (to the city sewer)?

There is a slight pitch on left side though (not shown) but seems to level off at the area shown in the photo. I do notice on the exterior of the Tee there is a curving whoosh implying the waste "should" shoot to the right but i dont know how it is actually handled on the inside nor how affective it is. Should i be concerned in how this toilet / sink waste pipe is connected?

[IMG]http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff85 ... 9kb7lf.jpg[/IMG]
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
5398 posts
3658 upvotes
It should be a Y and a 45 elbow instead of a TY.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2005
5080 posts
1495 upvotes
Kitchener
Your concerns are valid, There will be solids building up at the bottom of the T over time if there's nothing upstream to flush it out. The Y should be the same way as the other one in your picture
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1079 posts
444 upvotes
Grimsby
I remember reading once that a sanitary tee cannot be installed on it's back as yours is in the picture.

As others have mentioned, should be a Y fitting.
The worst part about prison was the Dementors. - Michael Scott

My Basement Reno Project
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1027 upvotes
Toronto
pootza wrote: It should be a Y and a 45 elbow instead of a TY.
This. A tee wye such as the one pictured is not allowed to be installed horizontally unless used as a vent as per plumbing code