• Last Updated:
  • Apr 19th, 2012 1:42 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1020 upvotes
Impossibles wrote: I'm appalled at people who keep calling retention departments of various providers asking for discounts, then complain when they don't get what they want. ;)

I'm also appalled at people who abuse retention promotions and ruin things for the rest of us so they can save $5 a month.

You're right. They should just put up an antenna and save even more.

GVR does have excellent reception results.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Apr 18, 2011
60 posts
5 upvotes
Hands down, the worst customer service of any company I ever dealt with. Add the 1 hour wait time,it doesnt get any better. I was so disgusted with my previous encounter with cs rep, told me i cant cancel my services without returning my pvr first, i told her otherwise, then she hung up on me. I had no problem with the next rep canceling my services. Deal with telus is expiring, dont know if i wanna sign up with shaw again.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1632 posts
703 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
NG wrote: Isn't that the guy who went psycho a couple years ago and started yelling and swearing at his own shareholders at a conference?

He was the CEO until he retired.
Apr 25, 2009
138 posts
3 upvotes
Sunshine Coast BC
Wow, I must be the only person here who is happy with Shaw's service. CS and tech support have both been great, very polite and helpful when I call. I have cable and internet with them. I used to have internet with telus and expressvu for tv, and I like Shaw better than both of them. Maybe the reps in Kelowna are nicer??
Jun 22, 2011
113 posts
7 upvotes
What I would like to know is what it is that you do when you encounter a rude rep. I would think the way to deal with it is to tell them at the first hint of rudeness to not use that tone with you or something along those lines. They only do it because they get away with it.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
2547 posts
234 upvotes
Calgary
caltran wrote: I know a few people that used to work at Shaw. Jim Shaw once had an employee take the corporate jet to pick up some furniture for him from the US.

so?
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
2547 posts
234 upvotes
Calgary
Impossibles wrote: I'm appalled at people who keep calling retention departments of various providers asking for discounts, then complain when they don't get what they want. ;)

I'm also appalled at people who abuse retention promotions and ruin things for the rest of us so they can save $5 a month.

I am glad you are. Why don't you send some cash to Shaw so they break even on discounts.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
2547 posts
234 upvotes
Calgary
Kasrielle wrote: Wow, I must be the only person here who is happy with Shaw's service. CS and tech support have both been great, very polite and helpful when I call. I have cable and internet with them. I used to have internet with telus and expressvu for tv, and I like Shaw better than both of them. Maybe the reps in Kelowna are nicer??

You don't address the wait time. You think the reps are in Kelowna ??
Apr 25, 2009
138 posts
3 upvotes
Sunshine Coast BC
Pointseeker wrote: You don't address the wait time. You think the reps are in Kelowna ??

The reps for northern BC are in Kelowna. And my wait has been anywhere from none to 30/45 minutes depending on when and why I'm calling. However, if the wait is more than 5 or 6 minutes I do the "call me back" option. I always get called back.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9639 posts
1800 upvotes
Victoria
Kasrielle wrote: Wow, I must be the only person here who is happy with Shaw's service. CS and tech support have both been great, very polite and helpful when I call. I have cable and internet with them. I used to have internet with telus and expressvu for tv, and I like Shaw better than both of them. Maybe the reps in Kelowna are nicer??

I used to be on telus. There wait times were short and their customer service reps were nice enough. The downside is I ran in circles with them. When I got it installed they lost my order, and tried to tell me I'd be without internet for two weeks when the next available date came up. I called back a few times nothing. Had to ask for a supervisor then they finally got it running the next monday.

Then I've upgraded a few times. It never goes smoothly. When I tried to go from 15 to 25mbps I got nothing but problems. They kept sending out techs. The techs would do a quick test on the line, say there was nothing wrong and leave. Promised to get back to me because it wasn't on my end. Never did. Finally The 3rd tech I pushed harder and be begrudgingly did something about it. I spent hours with phone support, staying at home for these techs, it was horrible. They gave me a month to make up for it.. but I probably spent 4-6 hours working on it. Which is worth more then 40 dollars.

Shaw has been great for me. I switched last summer after bb50 came out (I already hd tv though.. i used to just have internet/phone with telus). They told me they were out of modems and gave me the option to call back in August or use slower internet for now. I waited, called back, they had a tech out in a few days. They set the modem up in bridge mode just as I asked on the phone. Everything went smooth. No problems since.

Any time I've needed to tweak my packages I use the concierge chat. It's brilliant. Its always less then a 5 minute wait.

I hadn't used shaw in nearly a decade for my internet/phone, but i've been finding them far easier to deal with than telus.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
2547 posts
234 upvotes
Calgary
caltran wrote: That's some good corporate governance!

Its his money. Makes no difference to me if he kept it in the bank or went shopping. You and I get none of it. We do pay however for him to have all that money. :evil:
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2011
2547 posts
234 upvotes
Calgary
Kasrielle wrote: The reps for northern BC are in Kelowna. And my wait has been anywhere from none to 30/45 minutes depending on when and why I'm calling. However, if the wait is more than 5 or 6 minutes I do the "call me back" option. I always get called back.

That's great. Move not to Calgary. ;) you may need to wait a bit longer here like 2 to 3 hrs, call backs are that long too. I care less to wait for them to call for that long.

update....

Just had a chance to experience a relatively fast service call pickup. The actual communication was too long as it must have been a training rep but the overall it was faster. Will see the results of the call. Did find that my bundle is now 10 $ more and other services are higher than last year. Maybe I should have not called.
[OP]
Jul 1, 2005
323 posts
31 upvotes
zod wrote: It sounds like you're making an assumption that shaw gets the programming they sell for free.

I would think the biggest cost to Shaw is the carriage fees. The intro packages probably charge below what shaw has to pay to the broadcasters to carry the channels. With ad revenue decreasing, its been carriage fees making up the difference. I'm guessing intro packages charge below the monthly carriage fees. Hence why shaw can't keep people on intro packages indefinitely.
Good point. I'm not familiar enough with Cable to know how those charges work. But it makes perfect sense.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1632 posts
703 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
Pointseeker wrote: Its his money. Makes no difference to me if he kept it in the bank or went shopping. You and I get none of it. We do pay however for him to have all that money. :evil:

What on earth are you talking about? Shaw Communications is a publicly traded company, and executives have a fiduciary duty to their shareholders.