Travel

AC itinerary now cheaper, was a slight schedule change. Recommendations for best way to get back price difference?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 2nd, 2022 3:09 pm
Feb 22, 2009
988 posts
668 upvotes
Ottawa

AC itinerary now cheaper, was a slight schedule change. Recommendations for best way to get back price difference?

Hello,

At the beginning of May, I had originally bought basic, non-refundable round-trip Air Canada tickets with a 15% promo code for 4 of us (2 adults, 2 kids) from YOW-Ottawa to YYG-Charlottetown for later this summer.

Today I noticed the total price is cheaper (in airfare+ a new 15% promo code) for the exact same flights (by enough that I'd like to try to rebook under the new price).

A week after I originally bought the tickets, I received a slight schedule change that the flights will arrive about ~20mins later in both directions and ~5mins earlier departure on the return than the originally booked flights which I have not acknowledged/accepted under 'My Bookings' yet.

• Would there be a way to leverage the flight schedule changes (even if they were only changed +20mins) to request a refund in my original payment form and then be able to re-purchase from scratch at the new price?
  • I believe if I try to do a "free change" (COVID policy), for a more expensive fare they state you pay the difference however it's not clear what happens if you change to a cheaper fare...likely they keep your money?
  • If neither of those options are viable, I assume the last option is to request a cancellation of my original flights and wait for the full amount to be returned to me into a travel credit (COVID travel policy), then use the travel credit to re-purchase at the new price and save the difference for future AC flights?

Would just like to get the opinion of some of the seasoned travelers who may know better how to navigate this to my benefit?

Thanks!
8 replies
Apr 30, 2021
652 posts
569 upvotes
YHM
The price may rise by the time they issue the voucher to you. The number of seats available may also be less (e.g, 3 seats left at a certain price).

The same situation happened to me, so I canceled my original itinerary for a travel voucher, and repurchased the same itinerary at a lower price.
Feb 22, 2009
988 posts
668 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks I'm finding canceling for travel voucher seems to be the best way to go. I checked their COVID "Change and Cancellation" policies and refunds are only provided if the schedule changes by 3hrs or more so my schedule change by ~20mins wouldn't qualify.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/hom ... id-19.html#/
Feb 22, 2009
988 posts
668 upvotes
Ottawa
VWDriver wrote: The price may rise by the time they issue the voucher to you. The number of seats available may also be less (e.g, 3 seats left at a certain price).

The same situation happened to me, so I canceled my original itinerary for a travel voucher, and repurchased the same itinerary at a lower price.
How long did it take for them to issue you the travel voucher? They say "up to 6 weeks" after you cancel.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2002
8187 posts
9554 upvotes
Vancouver
stevewk wrote: How long did it take for them to issue you the travel voucher? They say "up to 6 weeks" after you cancel.
It can take a while.. I'm waiting on one from a cancellation 2 weeks ago.

What are the options when you click on 'Cancel Flight' in Manage my booking?

Ron.
100% Upvote to post ratio! :)
Apr 30, 2021
652 posts
569 upvotes
YHM
I have waited up to 4-5 months at its peak last year. My typical response times have been 1-3 weeks.
Feb 22, 2009
988 posts
668 upvotes
Ottawa
newfbc wrote: It can take a while.. I'm waiting on one from a cancellation 2 weeks ago.

What are the options when you click on 'Cancel Flight' in Manage my booking?

Ron.
Wasn't possible to "rebook" on the exact same flights. If I changed to completely different flights and there was a balance leftover, they would provide a credit for the balance in the form of a non-expiring gift card.

I ended up re-purchasing the same flights again and then cancelling my original ones...will continue to monitor for my voucher for the full original amount I paid. Guess I'm stuck with AC for wherever we go next.

For 4 of us the price today is $950 cheaper vs. when I had booked at at the beginning of May (with a 15% promo code at the time). With all rental cars booked out in PEI maybe flights out East aren't getting booked so they dropped the price?
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2005
2204 posts
227 upvotes
Sorry to barge in but were you able to cancel your flight and get a travel voucher for the full amount of your Basic fare tickets? Asking because when booking the website indicates that they are not refundable nor can you get a credit for them.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
2916 posts
4473 upvotes
West
ShopperfiendTO wrote: Sorry to barge in but were you able to cancel your flight and get a travel voucher for the full amount of your Basic fare tickets? Asking because when booking the website indicates that they are not refundable nor can you get a credit for them.
Yes. https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/hom ... id-19.html#/, under "changes and cancellations". Temporary policy.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)