Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2017
1346 posts
435 upvotes

ac refill kits??

hey,

my 2017 kia forte isn't blowing any cool ac anymore.
been looking online at some ac refill kits on youtube.
wanted everyones thoughts on them and if anyone has ever used them.
any tips?? also wondering where the best and cheapest place to obtain them is.

thanks in advance.
28 replies
Banned
Jul 8, 2017
628 posts
698 upvotes
NA
There could be a leak somewhere so refilling it is not going to help. Bring it back to your dealership to get it fix, a 2017 vehicle should still be under warranty.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16048 posts
8919 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
+1

But if you are set on buying a kit, you will need to know what type of refrigerant your car uses. Most new cars use R-134a... unfortunately, consumers can't buy it in Canada... only available in the US.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2017
1346 posts
435 upvotes
totally forgot i got 5 year warranty on the car.
thanks i will go to the dealership tomorrow.
Silver1234 wrote: There could be a leak somewhere so refilling it is not going to help. Bring it back to your dealership to get it fix, a 2017 vehicle should still be under warranty.
what do you mean? you can buy the r134 kits on amazon canada.
also 12a is a perfectly fine replacement for r134.
craftsman wrote: +1

But if you are set on buying a kit, you will need to know what type of refrigerant your car uses. Most new cars use R-134a... unfortunately, consumers can't buy it in Canada... only available in the US.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16048 posts
8919 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
techjedi wrote:
Those are sold in the Amazon marketplace by US sellers. You'll notice that all of those prices are either inflated or they charge a lot for shipping.
techjedi wrote: also 12a is a perfectly fine replacement for r134.

R12a can only be used as a replacement if all of the R-134 is removed from the system first. You shouldn't be mixing R-12 with R-134.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3427 posts
1004 upvotes
Edmonton
I have used the kits. Very diy friendly

First step is to find the leak, so I use nitrogen and fill it up to 175psi or so. Leave it on and check the gauges. Then if that's successful pull a vacuum. Once you fix the leak the put the evacuator onto reverse so it will put back anything you had left and then top up as needed.
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Apr 8, 2010
779 posts
430 upvotes
toronto
careful with the R12a. In a nutshell it's propane/ butane so be careful with that stuff.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1915 posts
1123 upvotes
Last time I was in the US, the ready cans with built in gauge and hose was pretty expensive from Autozone/walmart. I think it worked out to $50C a can or something. Not to mention, you're only adding freon, no vacuum or oil which will damage your system down the road.

I have a leak somewhere in my system and going to a shop to get it filled with dye, finding the problem and fixing it myself and recharging again, the 2x charging will cost around $140-150.

I priced out on amazon the *proper* way to recharge with a gauge set with pump, PAG100 with dye, 6x Dupont 134a (3 charges for my car), and can adapter valves will cost $215.53U.

Edit - forgot to add UV light. Add another $8.00U
Images
  • amazon.JPG
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2017
1346 posts
435 upvotes
took it to kia.
under warranty they just refilled the freon.
no charge and they said the leak was minor if it took 2 years to deplete.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4027 posts
4158 upvotes
GTA
lol talk about the dealer cheaping out. There are 10-20 year old cars on the road without leaking A/C. Yours leaking out in 2 years is not normal. But of course, it would have cost the dealer more to properly diagnose and repair the leak. So a quick, cheap top-up and off you go.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5954 posts
1430 upvotes
???
derass wrote: lol talk about the dealer cheaping out. There are 10-20 year old cars on the road without leaking A/C. Yours leaking out in 2 years is not normal. But of course, it would have cost the dealer more to properly diagnose and repair the leak. So a quick, cheap top-up and off you go.
This is basically the answer. Techs not paid for diag warranty work.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13126 posts
1958 upvotes
Toronto
There was a place on nugget Avenue in Scarborough that had r134a kits with the gauge for $25. Picked one up for my dad and filled up his car. Worked like a charm.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16048 posts
8919 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
derass wrote: lol talk about the dealer cheaping out. There are 10-20 year old cars on the road without leaking A/C. Yours leaking out in 2 years is not normal. But of course, it would have cost the dealer more to properly diagnose and repair the leak. So a quick, cheap top-up and off you go.
vaportech wrote: This is basically the answer. Techs not paid for diag warranty work.
Time to talk to the Service Manager or even Kia Canada. It's like saying an oil leak is normal for a new car - just bring it in when you need a refill under warranty.... afterwards, don't call us as it won't be our problem anymore.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4027 posts
4158 upvotes
GTA
Yeah, that is sub-par service. The situation should be escalated.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2017
1346 posts
435 upvotes
thanks guys.
just spoke to the service manager and he agreed with me.
they are keeping the car overnight to inspect.
derass wrote: Yeah, that is sub-par service. The situation should be escalated.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4027 posts
4158 upvotes
GTA
Good on you AND the service manager. I wasn't expecting that. Keep us posted.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
2193 posts
676 upvotes
techjedi wrote: thanks guys.
just spoke to the service manager and he agreed with me.
they are keeping the car overnight to inspect.
Suggest you keep the receipt in case it leaks again in the future.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3524 posts
2181 upvotes
Walmart has some of these ac cool kits in the auto section.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16048 posts
8919 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Kursor17 wrote: Got a 2017 Ford Focus Electric in October 2017 at East Court Ford in Scarborough.

Turned on the AC for the 1st time in May 2018 and it was blowing hot air. So I took it to Erinwood Ford in Mississauga, since it's closer to me. EF said the AC liquid was completely empty.

EF pointed the finger at the original dealer, East Court and that I should've really taken it back to EC to get it fixed under warranty. It's my understanding that I can take the car to any Ford dealership. But from my experience with Ford HQ and the Ford dealerships thus far, the attitude seems to be the same "not my problem attitude". Nevertheless, Erinwood Ford said they'd do me this favour and 'fixed it' under warranty by adding the AC liquid and it was ICE cold for the summer of 2018.

Now 2019 May, AC is blowing hot air again. Will see what EF says this time, around.
If you get any push back, you should take it up with the media and let them blast it all over the airwaves.
Jun 8, 2019
73 posts
15 upvotes
GTA
techjedi wrote: totally forgot i got 5 year warranty on the car.
thanks i will go to the dealership tomorrow.

also 12a is a perfectly fine replacement for r134.

I would be extra careful buying any do it yourself refill kit. The last time I looked there was an outfit selling 16oz cans of propane as "R12A". Sure this will work, but it will cause more friction in the moving parts of your compressor and undue stress on your rubber seals. Also, the warranty might work. However if they find a pin size hole in your condenser they will blame you for roadside debris causing the damage and refuse to honor the warranty. Good luck.