Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
2079 posts
470 upvotes
St. Johns

AC travel credits

Are Air Canada travel credits only good for a single use or can they be used multiple times until you have depleted the value? I have a decent sized credit from a cancelled trip in March that I'm considering using for a short trip to Halifax. I would rather not lose a chunk of it if the credit is only single use.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1976 posts
1012 upvotes
Alberta
I think it depends on which rules you got the credits under. My flight got canceled and the initial terms was a credit with 2 year validity and single use (if credit is for $1500....you book $1000 flight, AC keeps the rest). The newer terms from about a month ago are no expiration and full value redeemable over multiple uses. I don't know if they convert old credits into new. I am still waiting for my credit to arrive, they said up to 30 days and I think I got another couple of weeks before that time comes up. Got a $1600 ecoupon coming
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
2079 posts
470 upvotes
St. Johns
eblend wrote: I think it depends on which rules you got the credits under. My flight got canceled and the initial terms was a credit with 2 year validity and single use (if credit is for $1500....you book $1000 flight, AC keeps the rest). The newer terms from about a month ago are no expiration and full value redeemable over multiple uses. I don't know if they convert old credits into new. I am still waiting for my credit to arrive, they said up to 30 days and I think I got another couple of weeks before that time comes up. Got a $1600 ecoupon coming
Thanks for that!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
2079 posts
470 upvotes
St. Johns
So after calling multiple times over last couple weeks, I finally spoke with an AC agent.

The original email I received when the flight was cancelled stated Air Transportation charge for $632.40 and then $264.64 in fees/taxes for a total of $897.04.

The agent said it was a one time use credit for 24 months and the value was for the Air Transportation charge only ($632.40).

Does that sound correct? I thought the full fare paid was held as a credit but I can't seem to verify that as they have changed the policies since Mar 16th.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2009
1272 posts
681 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
RyanS219 wrote: So after calling multiple times over last couple weeks, I finally spoke with an AC agent.

The original email I received when the flight was cancelled stated Air Transportation charge for $632.40 and then $264.64 in fees/taxes for a total of $897.04.

The agent said it was a one time use credit for 24 months and the value was for the Air Transportation charge only ($632.40).

Does that sound correct? I thought the full fare paid was held as a credit but I can't seem to verify that as they have changed the policies since Mar 16th.
The problem these days is that even the agents don't know the rules. The rules change so often and a lot of the more experienced agents have taken a layoff package.

If you cancelled a previous booking you need to convert it to a gift card. You can do this by entering your booking reference number into the Air Canada site and you should get a page offering you either Aeroplan miles + 65% bonus or a gift card.

Gift cards never expire and can be used more than once. Gift cards can be used for other people.

The old rules (which the agent kind of got correct) is that if you spend less then you lose the difference and SOME taxes may need to be paid again (if you say had a domestic flight and you changed to an international one). However, if you convert to a gift card then you get (somewhat) more flexible rules.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
2079 posts
470 upvotes
St. Johns
dr_torch wrote: The problem these days is that even the agents don't know the rules. The rules change so often and a lot of the more experienced agents have taken a layoff package.

If you cancelled a previous booking you need to convert it to a gift card. You can do this by entering your booking reference number into the Air Canada site and you should get a page offering you either Aeroplan miles + 65% bonus or a gift card.

Gift cards never expire and can be used more than once. Gift cards can be used for other people.

The old rules (which the agent kind of got correct) is that if you spend less then you lose the difference and SOME taxes may need to be paid again (if you say had a domestic flight and you changed to an international one). However, if you convert to a gift card then you get (somewhat) more flexible rules.
Is the gift card option available now? I can't seem to find any links and the information I'm getting says "you will soon be able..."

Id rather take the gift card option as it gives me way more flexibility.
Dec 11, 2013
444 posts
351 upvotes
Vancouver Island
I got this email this morning.
As the global impact of COVID-19 continues to evolve, so do our flexible travel solutions.

We noticed that you have a future travel credit on file for original travel between March 1, 2020 and July 31, 2021, and we wanted to let you know that we recently introduced two new flexible options.

As of today, you’re able to convert your travel credit to one of the following:

1. An Air Canada Travel Voucher that’s fully transferable with no expiration date.

2. Aeroplan Miles with an additional 65% bonus miles.

If you’d like to convert your travel credit today, simply click on the link below.
I voluntarily canceled my economy standard tickets in March and my credits were set to expire in December (12 months after initial book date). I chose the voucher with no expiry.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2009
1272 posts
681 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
RyanS219 wrote: Is the gift card option available now? I can't seem to find any links and the information I'm getting says "you will soon be able..."

Id rather take the gift card option as it gives me way more flexibility.
This worked for me:

Go to aircanada.com
Click on My bookings
Enter your PNR that you have already canceled.

You should then get the options.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
2079 posts
470 upvotes
St. Johns
bob5593 wrote: I got this email this morning.

I voluntarily canceled my economy standard tickets in March and my credits were set to expire in December (12 months after initial book date). I chose the voucher with no expiry.
Interesting, I never received an email like that but I'll keep an eye out.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
2079 posts
470 upvotes
St. Johns
dr_torch wrote: This worked for me:

Go to aircanada.com
Click on My bookings

Ya tried that but it said my booking couldn't be retrieved.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4831 posts
1490 upvotes
I didn't receive any email either, but when checking my booking reference I do get a new screen saying:

The remaining value from your cancelled flight is ready to be transferred
You can now transfer the remaining value of all tickets and associated services into Aeroplan Miles or an Air Canada Travel Voucher.

From https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/hom ... chers.html :

Electronic travel vouchers are issued in the form of a letter. Within the letter is your 13-digit electronic travel voucher number.
Both paper and electronic travel vouchers can be redeemed to cover the base fare of a new booking. Any taxes and surcharges must be paid separately.
Mar 25, 2010
252 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
dr_torch wrote: This worked for me:

Go to aircanada.com
Click on My bookings

Worked for me too. Up to 6 weeks for processing.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
2413 posts
1653 upvotes
Just FYI, AC is now planning to screen for Covid pre-flights. Those credits you're holding right now are now lower in value because there's no way they're retaining the "Same" prices pre-Covid.

This is in case you haven't been keeping up with the news.