• Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2021 5:13 pm
[OP]
Jun 14, 2011
78 posts
19 upvotes
EAST YORK

AC trips after every 15 minutes

My AC trips (1000 BUT-LG Brand) after every 15 minutes. I plugged AC breaker with extension wire and automatically AC turnoff after every 15 minutes then I turn ON from Extension wire's button not from AC's Turn ON button because I can only turn ON the AC from Extension wire's button. What could be cause? Is it overheating? Should I buy anything to avoid this trip problem? Please advise. Thanks
15 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
4564 posts
4287 upvotes
Toronto
shakilhyd wrote: My AC trips (1000 BUT-LG Brand) after every 15 minutes. I plugged AC breaker with extension wire and automatically AC turnoff after every 15 minutes then I turn ON from Extension wire's button not from AC's Turn ON button because I can only turn ON the AC from Extension wire's button. What could be cause? Is it overheating? Should I buy anything to avoid this trip problem? Please advise. Thanks
Try asking in the Home & Garden forum
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
2457 posts
1421 upvotes
SW ON
shakilhyd wrote: My AC trips (1000 BUT-LG Brand) after every 15 minutes. I plugged AC breaker with extension wire and automatically AC turnoff after every 15 minutes then I turn ON from Extension wire's button not from AC's Turn ON button because I can only turn ON the AC from Extension wire's button. What could be cause? Is it overheating? Should I buy anything to avoid this trip problem? Please advise. Thanks
It sounds like it's not your AC that trips but your "AC breaker". What is this "AC breaker"? Remove it and see how your AC works without it. If you need an extension cord make sure it's a good one and rated for maximum 15-18 A.
[OP]
Jun 14, 2011
78 posts
19 upvotes
EAST YORK
alpovs wrote: It sounds like it's not your AC that trips but your "AC breaker". What is this "AC breaker"? Remove it and see how your AC works without it. If you need an extension cord make sure it's a good one and rated for maximum 15-18 A.
"AC breaker" means AC Power Plug. Should i change the extension cord for maximum 15-18 A?
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1633 posts
1089 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I'm guessing what is being asked here... that's not very clear.

If you have a wall AC unit on an extension cord, you probably aren't feeding the proper voltage the AC needs. If this is your only way to setup the AC (no outlet close enough) with an extension cord, you better buy the industrial rated cord so the AC gets the proper voltage.

Have you cleaned the filter and the condenser? Is it draining properly?

My best guess from that unclear question.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3707 posts
2308 upvotes
Gibsons wrote: I'm guessing what is being asked here... that's not very clear.

If you have a wall AC unit on an extension cord, you probably aren't feeding the proper voltage the AC needs. If this is your only way to setup the AC (no outlet close enough) with an extension cord, you better buy the industrial rated cord so the AC gets the proper voltage.

What do you mean proper voltage? Eitherbits 110v or 240v? I think you mean amperage.
[OP]
Jun 14, 2011
78 posts
19 upvotes
EAST YORK
Gibsons wrote: I'm guessing what is being asked here... that's not very clear.

Which is industrial rated cord so the AC gets the proper voltage? How much emp? Can you send me the link from home depot/lowes website to buy online?
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
2457 posts
1421 upvotes
SW ON
cristianosham wrote: What do you mean proper voltage? Eitherbits 110v or 240v? I think you mean amperage.
If an extension cord has high resistance when it's rated for lower amperage and made of thin wires there will be a voltage drop at the end of it.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
2457 posts
1421 upvotes
SW ON
shakilhyd wrote: Which is industrial rated cord so the AC gets the proper voltage? How much emp? Can you send me the link from home depot/lowes website to buy online?
This is an example of a good extension cord for your purpose: https://www.amazon.ca/Perfpower-Go-Green-Appliance-12-Feet/dp/B00NY3R5SA

Keep the length to a minimum and don't plug anything else into the same outlet. Compressor needs a lot of current when it starts up, uses less when it's running.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21926 posts
2745 upvotes
What is the setup?

(AC) - (Extension) - (Outlet)?

The entire circuit that Outlet is on must have little, if any load. For this to be safe the Extension must support the AC load, and the circuit must be below 15A.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5837 posts
2385 upvotes
Debtario
Get an extension cord that's 16 gauge or better, (14 is thicker, 12 is thicker yet,overkill)

Shortest length possible is preferred.

Sounds like you have a power/surge bar and it trips when AC is plugged in.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Dec 6, 2020
447 posts
423 upvotes
M1K3Z0R wrote: Get an extension cord that's 16 gauge or better, (14 is thicker, 12 is thicker yet,overkill)
14 gauge is the absolute minimum for an air conditioner as it is the smallest gauge capable of carrying 15 amps and is most likely the same gauge as the wiring inside the walls.

16 gauge will be a fire hazard.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5497 posts
3017 upvotes
Toronto
Plug the AC directly into a wall outlet to rule out the power bar/extension cable being the cause.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2711 posts
1441 upvotes
London
shakilhyd wrote: "AC breaker" means AC Power Plug. Should i change the extension cord for maximum 15-18 A?
make sure its at least a 14 gauge cord. make sure u run it on an outlet that has nothing else on the circuit.
Apr 22, 2015
264 posts
178 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Is this on an AFCI breaker? My new LG inverter AC was doing that.

It's called nuisance tripping

Is the extension cord getting hot?