Academic Resources During School Closure

[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3219 posts
1065 upvotes
Woodbridge

Academic Resources During School Closure

This is a list of resources that parents and students may find helpful to maintain some continuity of learning while we're going through this unprecedented school closure. Remember that physical and mental health need to be prioritized. For tips on how to talk to your child about the current situation, see this link provided by YRDSB. Here are some resources from the Canadian Mental Health Association as well as the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health which may help you support your mental health and that of loved ones during this stressful time. I hope that you are all safe, healthy, and in good spirits. We will get through this.

Math
  • University of Waterloo Centre for Education in Mathematics and Computing Grade 7-12, Ontario curriculum The CEMC at U Waterloo has put together hundreds of lessons that cover basically the entire math curriculum from Grades 7-11, as well as the Advanced Functions and Calculus Grade 12 courses. They also include coding activities and math problem-solving activities. Lessons include videos, practice opportunities/check-ins, and opportunities for written questions.
  • CEMC At Home Grade 4-12, Ontario curriculum "Most weekdays, the CEMC will post something for each of four grade levels: Grade 4/5/6, Grade 7/8, Grade 9/10, and Grade 11/12. The goal is to provide a wide variety of fun and educational ways to do mathematics and computer science while at home practicing social distancing. The resources will include games, new problems to solve, applications, videos, pointers to existing materials and more."
  • Knowledgehook Grade 3-10, Ontario curriculum Knowledgehook allows teachers, parents and students to access questions and create activities that align with specific expectations of the Ontario Grade 3-10 (including academic and applied) math curricula. Free premium teacher accounts for the rest of the school year.
  • Mathletics Grades 1-8, ON, BC, AB, QC, MN, NS, NB, NL, SK Curriculum Mathletics is offering four weeks free trial for educators through the link to the left. Parents might have luck signing up as an educator. There is a link to the at-home site if parents can't sign up as educators. The at-home site includes a free trial. You can also visithttps://www.3plearning.com/resources/ some free resources there for younger children.
  • DreamboxGrades K-8, ON and Western Provinces Curriculum Free 90-day trial. It's a comprehensive game-based math program that many Ontario schools/boards use. It adjusts to the kid's ability level. Read the comments below for parents' experiences. It's been reported that questions start easy but increase in difficulty to reach your child's grade level.
  • Youcubed at Home K-12 Activities "In these times of uncertainty, youcubed is here to help students at home continue to explore and learn maths in rich and creative ways. We are collecting here modified versions of our tasks to be more home-friendly, as well as some new explorations designed for learners at home." Youcubed is a resource that I use in my classroom and it's put together by a Stanford neuroscience professor. It includes a variety of activities that develop mathematical understanding, thinking, and creativity in a hands-on and experiential way.

Reading
  • Audible Stories All Ages A collection of free audiobooks ranging from the youngest readers to young adults (e.g., Whinnie-the-Poo, diary of a 6th grade ninja, Jane Eyre and includes books in French, Spanis, German, Italian and Japanese
  • Ready Theory Grades 1-12 When you sign up, there will be an 8 question placement test. The reading level ranges from Grade 1 to 12. Placement test starts at 6 and gets easier or harder as students answer questions wrong or correctly and calibrated to their level. Subsequent quizzes provide feedback on incorrect answers and will get easier or harder based on performance. Parent and teacher accounts can track quizzes completed and level.
  • Epic! 12 and under Epic! offers digital books that students can read themselves or listen to before answering comprehension questions.
  • Teach Your Monster to Read Young Readers Teach Your Monster to Read is a fun app for beginning readers. It is always free on a computer but the app is usually paid. It is free for iOS right now ($0.99 on Google Play because they can't make it free due to a previous sale).
  • The Free Reading Program K-6 (from their site:) The Free Reading Program is a free online literacy program. The program serves children and improves literacy through fundamental skills reinforcement activities. Students can begin learning at any level and progress when they feel confident. The Free Reading Program is a robust Kindergarten to Grade 6 online learning program. 266 learning units and over 3600 interactive learning activities are designed to engage young learners and instill confidence through a quiz and success based teaching approach.
  • The Canadian Reader Grades Grades 3+ LesPlan has several periodical publications which support reading through current events. If you go to the link and click on Free Downloads at the top to access some sample issues. Each issue has four articles with several sections of questions ranging from basic reading comp to making inferences to research and additional activities. I use these in my class throughout the year as one of the weekly literacy centres. Canadian Reader is Grades 3+. What in the World? Level 1 is Grades 5+ and Level 2 is Grades 8+. I haven't used the Building Bridges but it includes Indigenous perspectives and issues.
  • PebbleGo K-3 “PebbleGo is a curricular content hub specifically designed for K-3 students. Packed with informational articles, ready-made activities, and literacy supports for students of all abilities, it boosts engagement and fosters independent learning in core subject areas. Your students will love exploring PebbleGo time and time again.”"

Other/Multiple Subjects
  • Ministry of Education Learn at HomeGrade 9-12 Ontario Courses As of this edit, includes material for 22 high school credit courses with 15 courses listed as "coming soon."
  • Toronto Catholic District School Board Daily Activities Ontario Curriculum K-12 Activities The link takes you to a Google Site which will link to Google Docs for K-2, 3-6, 7-8, and 9-12 activities in Numeracy, Literacy, STEAM, Physical Activity and Visual Arts. Includes Religion and Family Life activities as well if you're interested.
  • Khan Academy Daily Schedule and Tasks (will open in Google Docs)All Subjects - Preschool - 12 - US Curriculum? (not sure) Khan Academy is a comprehensive library of videos and activities in a variety of subject. This links to daily schedules broken down by age with online and offline tasks for preschool through Grade 12.
  • Resources Shared by YRDSB This is a link that was provided to parents by YRDSB. It contains a variety of resources similar to the ones posted above.
  • Scholastic Learn at Home PreK-Grade 9 "Day-by-day projects to keep kids reading, thinking, and growing."
  • BrainPOP K-6+ It seems to be a collection of videos, interactive activities, lessons and worksheets to support a wide range of subjects. Free access for parents, educators, and schools. They also have BrainPOP Jr. (K-3), BrainPOP ELL and BrainPOP Francais. They seem to have some good COVID19 resources as well with videos for younger kids about hygiene and primary/junior kids about the virus.
  • Nelson Textbooks Ontario 4-12 FREE access to ALL Nelson textooks. Grade 4-8 username: ontario48 Grade 9-12 username: ontario912. Password for both is NelsonON123

Please add anything else below and I'll add to this post.
Last edited by OntEdTchr on Mar 31st, 2020 12:43 pm, edited 18 times in total.
57 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8317 posts
3764 upvotes
Markham
OntEdTchr wrote: I was JUST coming here to add that. Thank you!
thanks for keeping us updated!
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2010
1343 posts
338 upvotes
I've heard great things about the Uwaterloo courses that OntEdTchr posted.... the elearningontario is a wasteland right now for the Senior Math and Science Courses "coming soon". I reviewed the SPH4C material and it's like they stripped the overviews out of the regular e-learning courses. I guess they're just supposed to be a stop-gap right now.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2025 posts
1281 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
@OntEdTchr Kudos to you for this list. I am presently taking care of my grandsons during this shutdown but without the knowledge of what they have learned thus far, etc. This morning I was sent the link provided by the local school board for online learning and suffice it to say I was extremely disappointed. It would appear they have just sloughed this off onto TVO and YouTube. Your list is definitely far superior.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Inklings & Clues accumulated'"
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3219 posts
1065 upvotes
Woodbridge
rcmpvet wrote: @OntEdTchr Kudos to you for this list. I am presently taking care of my grandsons during this shutdown but without the knowledge of what they have learned thus far, etc. This morning I was sent the link provided by the local school board for online learning and suffice it to say I was extremely disappointed. It would appear they have just sloughed this off onto TVO and YouTube. Your list is definitely far superior.
Thank you. I'd send an email to your grandsons' teachers and ask if they're able to briefly mention which topics have been covered so far or which topics they'd recommend should be focused on at home. I'm sending that information to all of my students and their parents tomorrow afternoon. If you let me know their ages I could give you a general idea of the topics/skills that are relatively more important.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2025 posts
1281 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
@OntEdTchr Thank you for the kind offer. As the school is communicating with my daughter and her husband I will approach her on this tomorrow. No need to overburden the teachers with another email from indirect guardians.

P.S. - If not for the fact they are my grandsons, my daughter and her husband would owe me big time for this school shut-down.Face With Tears Of Joy
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Inklings & Clues accumulated'"
Jan 8, 2011
500 posts
122 upvotes
London
Dreambox currently has a free 90 day subscription for parents. It's a comprehensive game-based math program that many Ontario schools/boards use. It adjusts to the kid's ability level. https://www.dreambox.com/canada

Teach Your Monster to Read is a fun app for beginning readers. It is always free on a computer but the app is usually paid. It is free for iOS right now ($0.99 on Google Play because they can't make it free due to a previous sale). www.teachyourmonstertoread.com

https://www.freereadingprogram.com/ is currently offline for some reason, but it was working a couple days ago and will hopefully come back!
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2010
1343 posts
338 upvotes
Not sure what's going on in other boards right now, but in my board at the Secondary level we've been ordered not to start teaching our classes until given further instruction. It's very strange, and I hope it's just because they're going to come out with guidelines for everybody across the province tomorrow.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3219 posts
1065 upvotes
Woodbridge
Clacker wrote: Not sure what's going on in other boards right now, but in my board at the Secondary level we've been ordered not to start teaching our classes until given further instruction. It's very strange, and I hope it's just because they're going to come out with guidelines for everybody across the province tomorrow.
The direction that ETFO provincial sent to all members is that we should wait for direction from the ministry and/or our boards before communicating with parents/students. I'm taking the word "should" literally, i.e., not must. I guess they want to be consistent with what's going out, but given the circumstances, I feel compelled to provide a brief check-in.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2010
1343 posts
338 upvotes
Our direction came from our board office.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2004
1858 posts
338 upvotes
Toronto
Thank you OP- appreciate this list. Going to try the UW math for my son in gr 6.

Question: any feedback on DreamBox before I create an account?

Initial reaction to DreamBox from my gr 6 son. So I setup everything and he was just testing the platform. It gave him some math (pattern recognition) that designed for gr 2....wtf. IE: pattern recognition game. He was like...umm, I learned this in gr 2. We upped his grade to 9 and the questions were geared towards his gr 4 lessons.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2010
1343 posts
338 upvotes
If I understand correctly it's supposed to be adaptive, so it'll start very easy and then ramp up. I'm going to look at it for my sons too. Keep posting if you find any tips/tricks to make the experience better for your son.
Dragon120 wrote: Thank you OP- appreciate this list. Going to try the UW math for my son in gr 6.

Question: any feedback on DreamBox before I create an account?

Initial reaction to DreamBox from my gr 6 son. So I setup everything and he was just testing the platform. It gave him some math (pattern recognition) that designed for gr 2....wtf. IE: pattern recognition game. He was like...umm, I learned this in gr 2. We upped his grade to 9 and the questions were geared towards his gr 4 lessons.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2010
1343 posts
338 upvotes
A little more feedback on the dreambox. I'm using it for an SK (set to Grade 1) and a Grade 4 (currently leaving it at Gr 4). It definitely starts out on easier stuff (pattern recognition), I did it with my youngest and over the hour that we did it the difficulty did start to ramp up. I think this is partially to build confidence, and also to make sure you're not starting out too difficult. I'm happy with the usage for Grade 1 so far, and will update if it stays too easy or adapts well for each boy.

Thanks sn02py for the suggestion!