Parenting & Family

Academic Resources During School Closure

Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3930 posts
3478 upvotes
The NORTH
At the Ontario news conference today Premier Ford just said "kids won't be returning to school April 6th"...

This thread is going to be a life saver for stay at home parents. I'm a good dad but a terrible educator...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3219 posts
1067 upvotes
Woodbridge
kr0zet wrote: At the Ontario news conference today Premier Ford just said "kids won't be returning to school April 6th"...

This thread is going to be a life saver for stay at home parents. I'm a good dad but a terrible educator...
I'm hoping that the Ministry will work with school boards and teachers to develop a more comprehensive plan moving forward. Hopefully, all parents would be receiving resources that are specific to their child's learning expectations. Personally, I'm creating a document to share with students and parents with all of the Grade 8 math curriculum expectations, organized by expectations we've already covered in-depth, expectations we've touched on, expectations that we haven't covered yet, and indications for expectations that, in my opinion, are the most critical for success in Grade 9. I'll also be providing links to some of the resources I posted here as well as chapter/page numbers from the PDF versions of the textbook and workbook that students have access to to support each expectation. I'll need to find a way to make myself available for live chat with students. I'm waiting for direction from my board for things like that, as this type of communication with students needs to be done on a platform that is board approved. This is my plan for the moment anyway, pending any further direction from my principal or board. I've seen dozens of posts from teachers that are doing even more than what I'm doing. We're all going to have to work together. Not all teachers have the technological knowledge to make this shift quickly and not all have access to the tech required - think two parents working from home with three children all doing their own work. There are also challenges faced by kindergarten and primary teachers, teachers of the arts and Phys ed, special ed teachers etc. I'm only about a quarter of the way through my career as an educator and I sincerely hope that I will never have a year more memorable than this one. Flexibility, patience, and cooperation are going to be critical to finding some sort of continuity of learning.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3219 posts
1067 upvotes
Woodbridge
Does anybody know how to add a space between each of the bullet items? I feel like it's too cultured right now. If a mod is so inclined, feel free to make that edit, or let me know how to do it :)
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2028 posts
1282 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
@smartie Not too bad but somewhat U.S.A. centric. What I would still like to see is the levels each grade is at in the various subjects, ie- Mathematics - What level should they be at this point in time? I have my grandsons doing simple equations, each question encompassing at least two of the four disciplines, subtraction, addition, multiplication or division.

144 / 6 X 10 +7 As we all know that without special characters (brackets) this would be solved from left to right. The problem with such a question is that my grandsons have learned a completely different way to do division or multiplication from the way I was taught. This is incidentally for Grade 3.

I guess we all have to wing it for the 3 Rs. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Inklings & Clues accumulated'"
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3219 posts
1067 upvotes
Woodbridge
rcmpvet wrote: @smartie Not too bad but somewhat U.S.A. centric. What I would still like to see is the levels each grade is at in the various subjects, ie- Mathematics - What level should they be at this point in time? I have my grandsons doing simple equations, each question encompassing at least two of the four disciplines, subtraction, addition, multiplication or division.

144 / 6 X 10 +7 As we all know that without special characters (brackets) this would be solved from left to right. The problem with such a question is that my grandsons have learned a completely different way to do division or multiplication from the way I was taught. This is incidentally for Grade 3.

Grade 3 students learn multiplication to 7x7 and division to 49/7. You can find the expectations for each grade here - http://www.edugains.ca/newsite/math/tar ... ation.html (dropdown menu at the top - Grade 1 - 8 Curriculum Expectations."

The way that multiplication and division is (or rather, is intended to be but often isn't) taught in Ontario is through the use of concrete manipulatives and visual models in order to develop an understanding of place value and the basics of our number system. If I were to do 478/36 for example in my head, I'd work my way through it like this - 10 (360, 118 left over), 36, 72, 108 is 3 more with 10 left over. So 13 and 10/36, which is about half way between 1/3 and 1/4 so it's about 13.29. But the understanding and flexibility required to work something like this out can't be developed using long division. Long division was created to solve problems quickly and accurately. The thing is, if speed and accuracy are the goal, we have even better tools to do that. If understanding and automaticity are the goal, long division will do nothing.

Many people scoff at "new math" or things like area models for multiplication which break numbers down by place value, yet area models are used in high school classrooms to teach multiplication of polynomials. It breaks down the different terms in a polynomial the same way it breaks down the different place values in a number. The problem is that you either need to be a mathematician or have an interest in math to be able to understand how to develop understanding. For most people, math is an "answer getting" subject. But it's far, far more than that.

You want an idea for tasks to do with a third grader? Forget worksheets. Bake some cookies. See how many cookies you get from a recipe. See how many people are in the house. Can you each share those cookies? If not, what could you do? Change the number of cookies? Change the size of cookies? What would the implications be on the recipe? A Grade 7 or 8 students would learn the math required to calculate the ratios of ingredients in the recipe and calculate the mass or volume of each cookie and figure out how to proportionately adjust the recipe or the mass to reach a desired number of cookies, but a Grade 3 student could certainly thing and talk about how they think they could solve these problems. They don't need exact numbers to say that you can put less batter in a cookie, or put more flour in the batter, and that if you need more flour you also need more sugar etc. etc.

Whenever people talk about Canada's math performance they often site the PISA assessment. It's an assessment of 15-year-olds from around the world in reading, math and science. It occurs every three years. The 2018 results were just published. We do pretty well as a country and as a province. The best? Singapore. Their method? CPA. They start by introducing a concrete representation of a concept. Fraction tiles. Three-dimensional models of shapes. Nets. Even an abacus has its place. Then, they move into a pictorial representation. Draw a model that represents some process. Only after those two steps do they move onto the abstract - the formula or algorithm. Formulas and algorithms are shortcuts, and once we give our brains a shortcut there is no incentive for it to use up energy and resources trying to figure out why the shortcut works. The problem is that shortcuts are easily forgotten and usually only work in specific circumstances, whereas the understanding that can potentially be developed through concrete and pictorial representations of concepts is far more resilient and adaptable.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2028 posts
1282 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
@OntEdTchr Thank you for the above. All Greek to me Face With Tears Of Joy and definitely something I am not going to even try. I did check the first page of your link and went directly to Grade 3 summary (Targeted Implementation), again too much for me as I only want to keep them occupied and learning/practicing until they are over their quarantine and go back home.

I did find this web site, which I found easy to navigate and print out specific worksheets for mathematics:
https://www.k5learning.com/free-math-worksheets

Great job you are doing though.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Inklings & Clues accumulated'"
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2010
1345 posts
342 upvotes
rcmpvet wrote: @smartie Not too bad but somewhat U.S.A. centric. What I would still like to see is the levels each grade is at in the various subjects, ie- Mathematics - What level should they be at this point in time? I have my grandsons doing simple equations, each question encompassing at least two of the four disciplines, subtraction, addition, multiplication or division.

There is only one correct answer to that expression: 247. If your kids have learned to do it with any other answer then their teacher has done it wrong. I would be surprised if that is a grade 3 question though.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2028 posts
1282 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
@Clacker That question was only an example and yes it was too complicated, which is why I am here. The school itself has been no help to me as they will only communicate with my daughter, privacy reasons. As we all should know: when instructions get passed verbally the message can get distorted down the line. As for my grandsons using a different way to solve I probably explained it wrong and after talking with my daughter and the boys I still do not understand how they are arriving at their solutions without showing all the work I would do to illustrate the solution.

As for the question having only one right answer and no other way to solve I only meant to illustrate a simple question using only the "accepted" function indicators (X, /, -, +), for example:

9 X 6 + 3 -17 = 40 as opposed to 9 X (6+3) - 17 = 64 (the multiplication is superfluous)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3219 posts
1067 upvotes
Woodbridge
Just wanted to point out this site from the Toronto Catholic District School Board - https://sites.google.com/tcdsb.ca/tcdsb ... authuser=0

They say it will be updated daily with activities for K-2, 3-6, 7/8, 9-12 to support math, literacy, STEAM, physical education, visual arts, and religion/family life.
Feb 21, 2007
51 posts
36 upvotes
Ottawa
@OntEdTchr , thank you for putting together such a great list of resources in your original post. I also like the link you added in post #21 (expectations for each grade). The link you provided is very useful. Would you happen to have a similar list of resources, but in French - my three kids go to French shcool? I know I'm asking for a lot. Or maybe you know a colleague as dedicated as you are, but who works for a French school board and happens to have put together a similar list already?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3219 posts
1067 upvotes
Woodbridge
julienf wrote: @OntEdTchr , thank you for putting together such a great list of resources in your original post. I also like the link you added in post #21 (expectations for each grade). The link you provided is very useful. Would you happen to have a similar list of resources, but in French - my three kids go to French shcool? I know I'm asking for a lot. Or maybe you know a colleague as dedicated as you are, but who works for a French school board and happens to have put together a similar list already?
It's my pleasure. I'm happy that some people are finding some utility in it. I don't know of any French resources but I will keep an eye out. For now, I found this document shared by TCDSB - you can access it by following the Toronto Catholic District School Board link on the main page and clicking not he French tab across the top - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qCZ ... jkpaY/edit

If I find anything else I will add it. I know that French resources are in particular demand.