Parenting & Family

Academic Resources During School Closure

Sr. Member
Mar 6, 2015
681 posts
50 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/ontari ... -1.4900935

The iPads are being purchased and distributed by Ontario school boards to students of low-income families, the province said, and will be equipped with free wireless data plans provided by Rogers. The device will also come pre-programed with resources to help support learning.

The data plans will be available until the end of June.
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!😃
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
Newbie
Apr 9, 2018
62 posts
15 upvotes
GTA
I believe Nelson access is ending soon.

Is there an easy way to download some of these textbooks as pdfs (where available) without individually downloading the chapters, which takes forever. In other words is there a way to download textbooks for offline reading.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3217 posts
1064 upvotes
Woodbridge
Hashim85 wrote: I believe Nelson access is ending soon.

Is there an easy way to download some of these textbooks as pdfs (where available) without individually downloading the chapters, which takes forever. In other words is there a way to download textbooks for offline reading.
I don't think so. I'm sure they intentionally made it very tedious to download entire resoruces.

What do you need the textbook for? Schools may have digital licenses to share with students. I know that I share PDF versions of any textbooks that I use with my students so that they can access them from home without having to take the physical book back and forth.
Newbie
Apr 9, 2018
62 posts
15 upvotes
GTA
As you said, my school provides the access to the textbook for the class I teach. But for example if I'm teaching 10 math and I want to digitally access 9 math I wouldn't normally have access.

In any case, after speaking to a few people there is essentially no easy way and I will be using hard copies of textbooks from colleagues/the school.

Thanks.
OntEdTchr wrote: I don't think so. I'm sure they intentionally made it very tedious to download entire resoruces.

What do you need the textbook for? Schools may have digital licenses to share with students. I know that I share PDF versions of any textbooks that I use with my students so that they can access them from home without having to take the physical book back and forth.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3217 posts
1064 upvotes
Woodbridge
Hashim85 wrote: As you said, my school provides the access to the textbook for the class I teach. But for example if I'm teaching 10 math and I want to digitally access 9 math I wouldn't normally have access.

In any case, after speaking to a few people there is essentially no easy way and I will be using hard copies of textbooks from colleagues/the school.

Thanks.
You might have some success with http://alternativeresources.ca/Aero/Pub ... ePage.aspx if you have any students with needs that would require a digital, large print, Braille, Kurzweil etc. versions of a text. Their library is fairly large and includes textbooks, student workbooks, novels etc.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16565 posts
2283 upvotes
Does anyone have a recommendation for a "standard" (i.e. normal) home schooling cirriculum for Senior Kindergarten and Grade 4 that follows the Ontario Cirriculum?

I'm looking for something that provides lesson plans, activities, for all subjects of study, ideally day by day. Yeah, a bit "teach by numbers" I guess.

Any recommended resource?
Member
Oct 10, 2005
329 posts
19 upvotes
Hashim85 wrote: I believe Nelson access is ending soon.

Is there an easy way to download some of these textbooks as pdfs (where available) without individually downloading the chapters, which takes forever. In other words is there a way to download textbooks for offline reading.
The login no longer works. It stopped working as of Aug.

Is there other places where I can download textbook?

I'm looking into homeschooling my children but want access to textbook so I can follow through the curriculum.

Thanks
Newbie
Apr 9, 2018
62 posts
15 upvotes
GTA
Unfortunately, none that I know of at this moment. Can anyone else share?

I will post again if I find something.
jasira wrote: The login no longer works. It stopped working as of Aug.

Is there other places where I can download textbook?

I'm looking into homeschooling my children but want access to textbook so I can follow through the curriculum.

Thanks
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3217 posts
1064 upvotes
Woodbridge
jasira wrote: The login no longer works. It stopped working as of Aug.

Is there other places where I can download textbook?

I'm looking into homeschooling my children but want access to textbook so I can follow through the curriculum.

Thanks
Hashim85 wrote: Unfortunately, none that I know of at this moment. Can anyone else share?

I will post again if I find something.
If the textbook(s) are used by the school your child(ren) attend, their teachers may be able to provide a PDF version for use at home. Are you looking at homeschooling your children completely on your own or will you be accessing the remote learning option offered by your school board?
Sr. Member
Mar 6, 2015
681 posts
50 upvotes
Maximum number of tags is exceeded. More links to tags are placed below:
Nelson Education
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!😃
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3217 posts
1064 upvotes
Woodbridge
Google Read and Write is a tool that we train some students to use if they need it. Particularly, students with an identified exeptionality that provides them access to a special education laptop to support their writing. It's definitely helpful for those who are unable to type/write at a fast pace and end up getting frustrated or losing their train of thought before they get their ideas down on paper. It's also useful for those that have particularly strong verbal communication skills. It also reads text aloud which is useful for students whose auditory processing exceeds their reading comprehension skills.

Top