Dec 23, 2009
214 posts
89 upvotes
Montr

Acanac 100/30mbit cable internet yearly plan 407$ (33,92$/month) Québec only

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Acanac
There has been lately a little Bell vs Vidéotron price war for internet in Québec. Bell recently bought EBOX and Distributel (who owns Acanac) wholesalers and is literrally cutting prices on some of these wholesalers' internet prices. Not that I approove the sale of wholesalers to big telcos (I even oppose them) but there are some nice bargains to look for as customers in this price war.

The glitch is you have to choose QC / FR on the top of the page to get this 407$/year or 37$/month price. If you choose QC / EN, it will show up at 59$/month. Acanac gives you a free month if you pay for a year upfront so if you do the math, 407/12 = 33,92$.

This is the price you see usually for 10-30mbit internet, not 100mbit and definitely not for 30mbit upload. This is unlimited bandwith internet and not a "first year promo price". This offer is valid for existing customers and whoever owns his own equipment too!

Last edited by julienvf on Jan 9th, 2023 3:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
39 replies
Penalty Box
Jun 20, 2020
17136 posts
22932 upvotes
Toronto
Acanac is part of the Distributel family.

Distributel acquired Acanac in 2011, and integrated them in its business as their discount Internet service provider brand.
Destiny is all
May 7, 2007
176 posts
1094 upvotes
Montreal
Fizz is way more better deal
Free modem + $100 referral promo + 200 Mbps
Jun 27, 2011
150 posts
329 upvotes
Has anyone had both this and TekSavvy and can speak to reliability? I've been waiting for over a year for someone to undercut the crazy increases from Teksavvy, I'd happily switch if it's similar reliability.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
3192 posts
2832 upvotes
Montreal
9$/month modem rental kills the deal.
And how reliable is this ISP?

virtuman1980 wrote: Haha...pretty interesting fellow indeed...but it was this persistence/stubbornness of his that got him the positive result in the end.
datako wrote: ... Although, I'm a little surprised you went against what everyone advised ,op. You've got balls and absolutely crazy at the same time to do this.
Jan 24, 2011
889 posts
731 upvotes
Montreal / Laval
407$ for the first year then 407$ afterwards Face With Rolling Eyes weird. Another weird thing is if you choose monthly on 100/30 Mb, Acanac assigns to 400 Mb plan and it will cost you 84$/mo. Otherwise, 9$ modem+router renting kill the deal, but it's still a good deal. I'm paying 50$ for 120/30 Mb plan with IVC Telecom, good service until now.

I was with Acanac 10 years ago, the network went down a couple of time yearly but the issues would be rather related to Vidéotron infrastructure IMHO.
-------------
Public Mobile Cell + Data: Unlimited talk and text + 2GB - 18$
IVC Internet : 100/30M Videotron cable - 40$
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
8756 posts
8497 upvotes
nicknam4e wrote: 407$ for the first year then 407$ afterwards Face With Rolling Eyes weird. Another weird thing is if you choose monthly on 100/30 Mb, Acanac assigns to 400 Mb plan and it will cost you 84$/mo. Otherwise, 9$ modem+router renting kill the deal, but it's still a good deal. I'm paying 50$ for 120/30 Mb plan with IVC Telecom, good service until now.

I was with Acanac 10 years ago, the network went down a couple of time yearly but the issues would be rather related to Vidéotron infrastructure IMHO.
Yeah, I don't trust them not to raise the price after a year one bit.
Sep 27, 2017
85 posts
153 upvotes
hee jae shin wrote: Fizz is way more better deal
Free modem + $100 referral promo + 200 Mbps
Fizz is $53 for 200 Mbps
Acanac is $42.92 (including $9/month modem rental fee) for 100 Mbps. Can you purchase modem to save in the long run?

Both are good deals, it depends if you need the extra 100 Mbps or not.

Strangely, it seems the 100 Mbps option is not available everywhere. Some addresses offer only 60 or 400 Mbps.
Feb 7, 2018
4 posts
4 upvotes
I was with Acanac a few years ago. They have very bad and unresponsive customer service.

Their service is also unreliable.

I would strongly recommend to avoid this ISP.

1/10
Feb 29, 2016
174 posts
87 upvotes
I just subscribe, the price of 407$/year includes the modem wifi rental + installation, no hidden fees. Hardware return fees after a year is included too.
It was a little bit a pain to subscribe because the girl over the phone was "new" but hopefully it'll be the only time I'll speak with somebody.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2014
4358 posts
10262 upvotes
45° 36' 44.9964'' N …
Supaaman wrote: I just subscribe, the price of 407$/year includes the modem wifi rental + installation, no hidden fees. Hardware return fees after a year is included too.
It was a little bit a pain to subscribe because the girl over the phone was "new" but hopefully it'll be the only time I'll speak with somebody.
did you get a email confirmation with the terms and price (407$/year includes the modem wifi rental + installation) and what will be the price increase after the one year .

Last edited by 2Riskit on Jan 9th, 2023 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2014
1044 posts
402 upvotes
London
Azalin84 wrote: Has anyone had both this and TekSavvy and can speak to reliability? I've been waiting for over a year for someone to undercut the crazy increases from Teksavvy, I'd happily switch if it's similar reliability.
I had both. Back on that era of 2011-14, Acanac outsourced its billing and support department to one of the Middle eastern countries. So, not sure how you may feel if you know your metadata and credit card info & address are within the hands of unknown people sitting on the chairs in far far away place! On internet connection quality, I had quite a few issues such as support and connection problems with Acanac, but not at all with TekSavvy(2014-17). Both were on the Bell lines. Other people, as far as I could recall while reading comments, might have different opinions. :)
Sep 27, 2017
85 posts
153 upvotes
Acanac's cable operations in Quebec, at least on the Videotron network, has always been handled by Distributel, and probably doesn't have much to do with DSL/Bell.
When doing a traceroute, I see a bunch of *.cpe.distributel.net. The default gateway is an IP address owned by Distributel.
They just sell the exact same service with two different brands (Acanac or Distributel).

It's been reliable for me in the past decade.
Jun 15, 2022
132 posts
201 upvotes
fred666 wrote: Fizz is $53 for 200 Mbps
Fizz is $47 or $48 for most people if you factor in the reward program. It only takes about a year to get -4$. I'd say the real cost of Fizz 200mbps is ~$45/month if you factor in a $100 referral. Acanac or any other ISP is a tough sell compared to Fizz. Having said that, this thread's deal is excellent too, I just wouldn't bother switching from Fizz just to save a few dollars.
Sep 27, 2017
85 posts
153 upvotes
polymorph wrote: Fizz is $47 or $48 for most people if you factor in the reward program. It only takes about a year to get -4$. I'd say the real cost of Fizz 200mbps is ~$45/month if you factor in a $100 referral. Acanac or any other ISP is a tough sell compared to Fizz. Having said that, this thread's deal is excellent too, I just wouldn't bother switching from Fizz just to save a few dollars.
How do you get -4$/month after a year? "Most people" won't constantly refer new friends or answer questions on their forum.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2007
1560 posts
540 upvotes
Interesting12345 wrote: I was with Acanac a few years ago. They have very bad and unresponsive customer service.

Their service is also unreliable.

I would strongly recommend to avoid this ISP.

1/10
Also used Acanac back in the day (both DSL and cable) and would not recommend. Lots of dropouts, massive traffic shaping, and uncontactable support.
[OP]
Dec 23, 2009
214 posts
89 upvotes
Montr
HaZaRd wrote: Also used Acanac back in the day (both DSL and cable) and would not recommend. Lots of dropouts, massive traffic shaping, and uncontactable support.
I have been with them for about 15+ years and let's get things straight: copper DSL network was from Bell and had an arm lenght list of unreliable causes/issues. Traffic shaping was caused by Bell and only Bell. Acanac offered even a free virtual computer at some point to get around that. Since 2011, they have been bought by Distributel and I mooved to cable internet through Vidéotron's network. In 12 years, the worst I've seen was a 24h downtime due to a fiber cut in Montréal. 95% of the downtime I've seen and it's not frequent neither long is due to Vidéotron's network. In other words, it's reliable as you would expect from any decent cable broadband company.
Last edited by julienvf on Jan 9th, 2023 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 16, 2015
153 posts
242 upvotes
Nice find, but I will stick with Bell $60/1.5Gbps for now.
[OP]
Dec 23, 2009
214 posts
89 upvotes
Montr
tissuehime wrote: Nice find, but I will stick with Bell $60/1.5Gbps for now.
If you have FTTH and actually make good use of it, that's totally understandable. :)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
8756 posts
8497 upvotes
polymorph wrote: Fizz is $47 or $48 for most people if you factor in the reward program. It only takes about a year to get -4$. I'd say the real cost of Fizz 200mbps is ~$45/month if you factor in a $100 referral. Acanac or any other ISP is a tough sell compared to Fizz. Having said that, this thread's deal is excellent too, I just wouldn't bother switching from Fizz just to save a few dollars.
The Acanac deal is good, but since it's a Bell subsidiary, it's obvious that this price won't last and they will find any sort of excuse to bump it up out of the blue at some point.

There's no way I'd trust it to hold for more than a year.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)