Jun 1, 2018
51 posts
160 upvotes

DSL 25 - $25/mo (ON / QC)

Deal Link:
Price:
Retailer:
Acanac
Acanac reduced their DSL 25 to $24.95/mo for the first 3 months on a one year term. Reg price is $45.

Free self installation. Free activation if ordered online. Use your own DSL modem, purchase or rent to own.

I used Acanac years ago. Their service was OK. However, based on feedback from here and dslreports, reviews are kind of mixed.

This is a good deal to get your place connected for casual computing and Youtubing. Gamers and hyper-computing folks can get faster connections at higher cost.

DSL50 can be had for $5 more.
Images
  • Acanac4.JPG
Last edited by QuantumDot on Dec 16th, 2020 4:46 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Thread Summary
- DSL 50/10 for 24.95/mo first 3 mo / 1 year term ($45 after)
- No dryloop fee
- Free self installation
- Free activation if ordered online, $30 saving
- BYOD modem. Choose "I will use my DSL Modem" when ordering. Can use vDSL modems like TG588V, KW5262 or SmartRG 505
- Service reviews are kind of mixed
- If your address is not eligible but shows eligible in Bell site, call them to check again
315 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2007
1975 posts
517 upvotes
Wow they are still around? Thanks OP this is a good deal. What is the price after one year?
Dec 9, 2008
271 posts
85 upvotes
Ottawa
Does not seem to be available for my address Confused Face
Sep 11, 2008
785 posts
466 upvotes
Quebec
Price is 50 as shown in picture.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
2259 posts
1669 upvotes
Geez... wow, this is insane pricing! I wish I could get this on the west coast, I’d set it up with VPN bonding for increased bandwidth capacity and reliability.

Lucky people... why no love for west? :(
Nov 22, 2012
181 posts
41 upvotes
Funny tactics from BHell. In Qc, i had the dsl connection last year but this year is not available! Funny!
Feb 16, 2009
882 posts
70 upvotes
supplementking wrote: Are they reliable?
Hmm...they're apparently owned by Distributel. Very mixed reviews, lots to do with poor customer service so if something happens perhaps hard to find support. Price is tempting though.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4109 posts
1034 upvotes
This is good for backup. And if you have a router that supports Dual WAN (eg. RT-AC5300). It can be used when select Failover mode or even Load Balance mode to optimize bandwidth, throughput and response time. Chances that both cable/DSL down are slim if you have one cable and one DSL coming in.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Nov 3, 2012
91 posts
48 upvotes
Montreal
Not available in Québec? Or maybe it's just my postal code. I'm located in Montreal
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8113 posts
1773 upvotes
Nothing comes up for my address in Scarborough
Banned
Sep 28, 2020
30 posts
180 upvotes
not available in QC. Acanac only does cable in QC.
Last edited by MoonPatrol on Nov 8th, 2020 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 11, 2012
165 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
ADSL not available at my mom's Scarborough address, but I know ADSL is available there. However, available in Thornhill.
Jun 11, 2012
165 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
barrist wrote: Is this a step up vs carrytel or a lateral move? (Reliability)
I switched from Acanac to CarryTel on ADSL almost 5 years ago due to pricing. No major issue with CarryTel (50/10 $45) except for disruption when local line was cut, not CarryTel's fault. Had a performance issue with my model two years ago, they gladly replace it. Instead of shipping I wanted to pickup for faster timing. 3 hours after pick up, received a call from their support asked if the new modem was ok and anything that they can help. Wow!

I signed up for Fido 150/10 for $34, may switch to Acana $20 as a backup/Load Balance for a total of $54.
Jan 30, 2013
883 posts
191 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
not using Bell now, how to self install DSL?
Oct 15, 2012
356 posts
372 upvotes
Sudbury
Was with Acanac years ago until rates started shooting up and no replies to my inquiries with CS- once they couldn't charge my Visa because it expired, then they stated to respond- too late! As for DSL (ADSL grade), most providers buy from incumbent Bell and resell as it's Bell's infrastructure. It simply runs on 2 pair twisted copper lines from the demarc to your home (unless you have fiber) and simply requires a DSL modem (modulator/demodulator). Although I pay to maintain a dial-tone, you don't have to but may be charged for dry loop fee (naked DSL). Be careful what you're agreeing to with any provider and watch for automatic renewals-- you may need to give 30-day notice to cancel. Good luck!
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2003
3293 posts
785 upvotes
I and some of my clients have Acanac's DSL service in Montreal. I entered my neighbour's address and it only offers me Cable.

I have no issues whatsoever with Acanac's service. Their support is OK for a second tier provider. If I could get 50/10 service for $20 per month I would install it as a backup channel.

Alas it isn't offering the package to me here.
Aug 25, 2018
121 posts
51 upvotes
This looks good. I would have gone with this but I signed up for the $37.5 Fido deal.
Dec 1, 2009
28 posts
15 upvotes
Ottawa
Best way to see the service. Dont call sales. Or customer service. Contact the support phone number. See how long is the wait times. Ask questions about the process they use if you loose sync on DSL. How long does it take for your ticket to get to a tier2 to open a Telco ticket with Bell. At the end of the day.. all the DSL lines are owned by Bell. If you have shit lines.. doesnt matter who you go with.

One other thing. All DSL support stops at the demarcation point/NID. Inside wiring is not supported as they do no own the wiring.

Rule of thumb with 3rd party providers. Up to 72 hours turn around time, if you loose signal/SYNC.

If you qualify for dsl and cable. Call support and see if they have any known network troubles at peak times. This might help you decide if DSL is better than Cable.

I hope this helps.