• Jun 17th, 2020 2:36 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
2150 posts
2780 upvotes
Toronto

Acanac implementing a "temporary regulated cost surcharge"

Can they do that? just make up a charge and add it to your bill cause the CRTC didn't rule in their favor?

We are writing to you to let you know about a change to your Acanac Internet plan.
Regrettably, we need to add a temporary surcharge to your invoice and we’re not happy we have to do it. And you shouldn’t be either.
Acanac has been fighting to get better rates for our customers and for all Canadians. Last August, the CRTC (Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission) agreed with us and announced new rates that the big phone and cable companies charge Acanac for using a part of their network to connect our services to your home. This was the lower rate we had been fighting for and we reduced our prices right away.
Disappointingly, the big phone and cable companies chose to fight the CRTC’s decision in court, and the courts delayed the new lower rates we were supposed to pay. We are currently paying the rates that the CRTC found were too high. Unfortunately, this has forced us to add a surcharge to your current internet plan.
However, we fully expect the CRTC’s lower rates to be implemented in the upcoming months, and we commit to you that as soon as they are, we will remove this temporary surcharge from your invoice. On your next Acanac internet invoice you will see a $5.00 Temporary Regulated Cost Surcharge.
For years we have been advocating on your behalf, and on behalf of every Canadian, to the CRTC and the federal Government for fair internet pricing. We ask that you join us in this fight by contacting your local government representative and tell them it’s time for lower internet bills.
16 replies
Nov 10, 2019
192 posts
139 upvotes
They are not the only ones. Got contacted by Distributel they are doing the same thing, same message.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8931 posts
4241 upvotes
Markham
Regulated surcharge lol

As if they just implemented CRTC's decision
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
3147 posts
1304 upvotes
Montreal
They can if you're on a month to month contract and they are giving you 30 days notice.

You should give them a call and ask them to disconnect your service on the last day of your current billing cycle. They might actually give you a credit to retain your business.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2003
1824 posts
137 upvotes
Toronto
kimchibowl wrote: They are not the only ones. Got contacted by Distributel they are doing the same thing, same message.
I was wondering why I saw an increase of $9/month on my account.. I guess $5 is from this surcharge and $4 is for.. I don't know what lol. :(
Not sure who else to go with if everyone is doing the same thing? I'm on a $39/mo for 30 down/5 up service..
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2243 posts
763 upvotes
Internet prices - especially as of late with Covid - have gone completely out of control in Canada.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
2150 posts
2780 upvotes
Toronto
kenze wrote: They can if you're on a month to month contract and they are giving you 30 days notice.

You should give them a call and ask them to disconnect your service on the last day of your current billing cycle. They might actually give you a credit to retain your business.
Both of us is working from home so thats not really an option lol...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35087 posts
21059 upvotes
Center of Universe
I just signed up for Ebox and they're charging something different called the "broadband fund"... which is miniscule compared to Acanac.

"Contribution for the CRTC Broadband fund: 0.3% of the cost of the Internet plan will be added to your monthly invoice."
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
3147 posts
1304 upvotes
Montreal
sonyminidiscman wrote: Both of us is working from home so thats not really an option lol...
There are no other cheaper providers that you could go with?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4168 posts
4818 upvotes
GTA
Teksavvy did the same $5 bump in March
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2518 posts
2117 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
It’s because of the bull lawsuit the big 3 are doing. The CRTC regulates the prices resellers pay to the big 3 for service. With this dumb lawsuit the court agreed to suspend the CRTC decision until the case is complete, allowing the big 3 to charge resellers the higher price. It appears that these resellers thought the lower price would have come by now but with all this silliness it did not and they need to increase their cost to stay afloat.

If anything the big 3 should be blamed here. Their greed is so off the charts crazy that they’re willing to do these stupid court cases than just listening to the CRTC.
DUCA credit union member
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
2150 posts
2780 upvotes
Toronto
jacnel wrote: It’s because of the bull lawsuit the big 3 are doing. The CRTC regulates the prices resellers pay to the big 3 for service. With this dumb lawsuit the court agreed to suspend the CRTC decision until the case is complete, allowing the big 3 to charge resellers the higher price. It appears that these resellers thought the lower price would have come by now but with all this silliness it did not and they need to increase their cost to stay afloat.

If anything the big 3 should be blamed here. Their greed is so off the charts crazy that they’re willing to do these stupid court cases than just listening to the CRTC.
sure the big 3 should be blamed but the resellers are using us to benefit them.

the resellers are fighting for lower rates, then they go lower their rates for the new customers, but as an existing customer, they didn't reduce my rates automatically... they just keep charging me 59/month when new ppl sign up for 39/month... imagine my surprise when i told my friend asking for internet recommendation about acanac and I found out i have been over paying by $20/month for I don't even know how long... I called them and they adjusted my rate to 39 but no credit to when the price dropped... but if thats their rule, where I signed up for 59 and therefore i should pay 59.... they should not be making up these random charges because their business deals didn't work out for them.

This is no different then that those old random charges like 911 fees, or dial tone fee.... it should be legal to implement a fee for a service that wasn't there when I signed up for it. This means i can sell you 150mbp internet plan for 5 bucks and promise you the rate plan don't change ever, but year after year i can add a 2020 surcharge, 2021 surcharge, Cisco upgrade surcharge to your bill...
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1672 posts
707 upvotes
it would be interesting to see if this is refunded to the customer once the final regulated rates go through as they are retroactive so these companies should be getting a major windfall when that happens. I suspect that will go directly in their pockets.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
2518 posts
2117 upvotes
K-W/Guelph
sonyminidiscman wrote: sure the big 3 should be blamed but the resellers are using us to benefit them.

the resellers are fighting for lower rates, then they go lower their rates for the new customers, but as an existing customer, they didn't reduce my rates automatically... they just keep charging me 59/month when new ppl sign up for 39/month... imagine my surprise when i told my friend asking for internet recommendation about acanac and I found out i have been over paying by $20/month for I don't even know how long... I called them and they adjusted my rate to 39 but no credit to when the price dropped... but if thats their rule, where I signed up for 59 and therefore i should pay 59.... they should not be making up these random charges because their business deals didn't work out for them.

This is no different then that those old random charges like 911 fees, or dial tone fee.... it should be legal to implement a fee for a service that wasn't there when I signed up for it. This means i can sell you 150mbp internet plan for 5 bucks and promise you the rate plan don't change ever, but year after year i can add a 2020 surcharge, 2021 surcharge, Cisco upgrade surcharge to your bill...
I agree that these charges are scummy and that these companies should not be allowed to offer different rates for new customers, but at the same time they need to be profitable and this breakdown of this business deal really did come out of nowhere for these small companies.
DUCA credit union member
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1672 posts
707 upvotes
jacnel wrote: I agree that these charges are scummy and that these companies should not be allowed to offer different rates for new customers, but at the same time they need to be profitable and this breakdown of this business deal really did come out of nowhere for these small companies.
It wasnt out of nowhere at all. They knew that the big 3 had a certain amount of time to appeal. They jumped the gun to try and get customers and shot themselves in the foot.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
15866 posts
4380 upvotes
Markham
sonyminidiscman wrote: sure the big 3 should be blamed but the resellers are using us to benefit them.

The big 3 all do the same thing, better deal for new customer
they won't lower price for existing customer
nothing new
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Feb 4, 2011
520 posts
303 upvotes
sonyminidiscman wrote: Can they do that? just make up a charge and add it to your bill cause the CRTC didn't rule in their favor?
What does your contract say? Do you have an option to cancel the contract if you are not willing to accept the price increase?