Black Friday & Cyber Monday Deals 2019

[Acanac] ON/QC Free 6 months of up to 50 Mbps home internet for first 500 customers

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2019 9:40 pm
Mar 19, 2017
57 posts
41 upvotes
dennyhj wrote: If I do yearly plan, they will charge $119+tax even with my own modem. If I do monthly plan, it is free with my own modem. But the monthly plan may mean you only get 1-month free and you have to pay afterwards?
I called customer service. They confirmed that the internet is free for one year even on a month to month basis. The modem rental is free providing you pay for 10 dollar shipping. There was no dry loop fee in my invoice. I was only charged 11.30 for shipping. Let's see if this is too good to be true in the coming months.

The modem they are renting out is Smart RG SR516AC modem (AC1200)

https://www.smartrg.com/product/residen ... e/sr516ac/

Features
• 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports
• Dual-band 802.11ac Access Point + 802.11n Access Point
• One USB 2.0 port
• Combined WPS and Wireless on/off buttons
Last edited by Ztech7016 on Dec 3rd, 2019 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2007
1195 posts
163 upvotes
M4W 1J6
Anyone buying their own modem? Which one are you getting and from where?
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
3344 posts
518 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
titaniumtux wrote: Just took 50/10 free for a year. Paid for the modem plus shipping. Can't say no to that. I think this is lava hot!!
Have you read their reviews? Aside from the less than stellar service reviews, much or the majority of the complaints seem to be about the auto renewal of subscriptions and how difficult it is to unsubscribe and then get refunds after you think you’ve unsubscribed but for whatever reason they say otherwise and you were unlucky enough to have your credit card charged. When you signed up you agreed to the auto renewal.

As this promo is for a year, the worst (?) case scenario is that a year from now they ding your credit card for a full year subscription at once at regular price. aka hundreds of dollars.

It’s tempting but read their reviews first.
Dec 27, 2007
488 posts
229 upvotes
fergy wrote: Have you read their reviews? Aside from the less than stellar service reviews, much or the majority of the complaints seem to be about the auto renewal of subscriptions and how difficult it is to unsubscribe and then get refunds after you think you’ve unsubscribed but for whatever reason they say otherwise and you were unlucky enough to have your credit card charged. When you signed up you agreed to the auto renewal.

As this promo is for a year, the worst (?) case scenario is that a year from now they ding your credit card for a full year subscription at once at regular price. aka hundreds of dollars.

It’s tempting but read their reviews first.
So cancel before the promo period is over and change your credit card number as a precaution? Problem solved.
Oct 10, 2019
82 posts
35 upvotes
Yesterday i shared this with all my friends and suggested them to get an extra personal internet!!! Lol how come this company make money out of such crazy deals!!
Anyways i wont mind a backup internet incase the primary one is slow or out!!!!
Kids are really bad these days.....
Jul 3, 2017
253 posts
176 upvotes
I just got this, they've let me use my own ADSL2+ modem. Man this is so sweet!!
Mar 19, 2017
57 posts
41 upvotes
PhobMX wrote: I just got this, they've let me use my own ADSL2+ modem. Man this is so sweet!!
I wonder if they let us use the VDSL MODEM carrytel sold to us Technicolor TG588v
Jul 3, 2017
253 posts
176 upvotes
Ztech7016 wrote: I wonder if they let us use the VDSL MODEM carrytel sold to us Technicolor TG588v
I'm pretty sure they'll let you use it, they just won't support you to configure it. If you are tech savvy enough (and it doesn't take much) then you should be fine.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
3344 posts
518 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
kkostadinof wrote: So cancel before the promo period is over and change your credit card number as a precaution? Problem solved.
Read the reviews where people canceled only to be told they hadn’t canceled. If they claim you owe money and you don’t resolve the issue with Acanac and you change your credit card number they’ll call in a collection agency. By then you will have damaged your credit rating.

Definitely read the reviews, they are in various forums including redflagdeals.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
3344 posts
518 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
DykeLuca647 wrote: Yesterday i shared this with all my friends and suggested them to get an extra personal internet!!! Lol how come this company make money out of such crazy deals!!
They’re a Bell reseller so obviously they actually lose money on this promo. I’d calculate a loss of roughly about $18 per month per subscriber. So 500 subscribers would cost them about $100,000 on just this promo. Before this the promo they had was 6 months free. They must have deep pockets. As the reviews suggest canceling the auto renewal is not quick and easy.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
2936 posts
2509 upvotes
Montreal
DykeLuca647 wrote: Yesterday i shared this with all my friends and suggested them to get an extra personal internet!!! Lol how come this company make money out of such crazy deals!!
You can have 2 ISPs at the same address? I didn't know.

virtuman1980 wrote: Haha...pretty interesting fellow indeed...but it was this persistence/stubbornness of his that got him the positive result in the end.
datako wrote: ... Although, I'm a little surprised you went against what everyone advised ,op. You've got balls and absolutely crazy at the same time to do this.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
3344 posts
518 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
bgallagher wrote: You can have 2 ISPs at the same address? I didn't know.
Cable + cable apparently with a splitter.
DSL + DSL, as far as I know not possible unless you physically swap the modems. So only one active DSL modem per phone line.

If you have DSL with one provider only, some providers do or did offer bonded service. Teksavvy did or does that.
Last edited by fergy on Dec 3rd, 2019 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 30, 2016
116 posts
60 upvotes
Ztech7016 wrote: I called customer service. They confirmed that the internet is free for one year even on a month to month basis. The modem rental is free providing you pay for 10 dollar shipping. There was no dry loop fee in my invoice. I was only charged 11.30 for shipping. Let's see if this is too good to be true in the coming months.

The modem they are renting out is Smart RG SR516AC modem (AC1200)

https://www.smartrg.com/product/residen ... e/sr516ac/

Features
• 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports
• Dual-band 802.11ac Access Point + 802.11n Access Point
• One USB 2.0 port
• Combined WPS and Wireless on/off buttons
I also called and can confirm that even on monthly subscription, you will get 1-year free service. After that you will be charged $50/month. But the modem is NOT free and I was told it was a mistake to list the free modem rental as an option on their website and they will correct it. Also I was told any VDSL modem would also work which is fantastic as my existing TPLINK modem is already VDSL.
Mar 19, 2017
57 posts
41 upvotes
dennyhj wrote: I also called and can confirm that even on monthly subscription, you will get 1-year free service. After that you will be charged $50/month. But the modem is NOT free and I was told it was a mistake to list the free modem rental as an option on their website and they will correct it. Also I was told any VDSL modem would also work which is fantastic as my existing TPLINK modem is already VDSL.
so I should call them and cancel my vdsl modem rental then. Corrected. I called and they indicated that my modem rental is free throughout my 12 months of free internet. Also any 516 MODEM will work on this dsl connection or vdsl modems.
Last edited by Ztech7016 on Dec 3rd, 2019 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 4, 2017
154 posts
95 upvotes
Yonge Street
First (Black Friday Week) they tried to give away free Internet for 6 months. Probably very few takers.

So (Cyber Monday) they decided to raise the offer to free Internet for a full year for the first 500 people who signed up in 24 hours. They claimed to have hit 201 at 3 pm but probably failed to reach the full 500 by end of day.

Now (Cyber Monday Extended) they extend the offer from Cyber Monday.

Why are these guys having such difficulty giving out FREE INTERNET? Should we be concerned?