Black Friday & Cyber Monday Deals 2019

[Acanac] ON/QC Free 6 months of up to 50 Mbps home internet for first 500 customers

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2019 9:40 pm
Newbie
Jan 4, 2019
22 posts
5 upvotes
dennyhj wrote: I also called and can confirm that even on monthly subscription, you will get 1-year free service. After that you will be charged $50/month. But the modem is NOT free and I was told it was a mistake to list the free modem rental as an option on their website and they will correct it. Also I was told any VDSL modem would also work which is fantastic as my existing TPLINK modem is already VDSL.
I was only charged $11.30 including free modem - if they try to get any more $$$ out of me without my authorization, good luck, after i ordered the service, i came home & cancelled the credit card i ordered the service with - new credit card will be a totally new number. So, good luck Acanac if you play shady!! I'm not paying anything for the modem or the service for 12 mos. except what i agreed to - $11.30!!
Last edited by SoulSeeker on Dec 3rd, 2019 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 13, 2019
32 posts
21 upvotes
JavierX wrote: First (Black Friday Week) they tried to give away free Internet for 6 months. Probably very few takers.

So (Cyber Monday) they decided to raise the offer to free Internet for a full year for the first 500 people who signed up in 24 hours. They claimed to have hit 201 at 3 pm but probably failed to reach the full 500 by end of day.

Now (Cyber Monday Extended) they extend the offer from Cyber Monday.

Why are these guys having such difficulty giving out FREE INTERNET? Should we be concerned?
Deal is still live as of today?!
Jr. Member
Aug 30, 2016
116 posts
60 upvotes
SoulSeeker wrote: I was only charged $11.30 including free modem - if they try to get any more $$$ out of me without my authorization, good luck, after i ordered the service, i came home & cancelled my credit card - new one will be a totally new number. So, good luck Acanac if you play shady!! I'm not paying anything for the modem or the service for 12 mos. except what i agreed to - $11.30!!
I am with you which is why I chose not to get their free modem rental. I want to be sure this is not a scam before I switch my ISP.
Newbie
User avatar
Sep 27, 2017
62 posts
73 upvotes
Platypoos, ON
PhobMX wrote: I just got this, they've let me use my own ADSL2+ modem. Man this is so sweet!!
Is this for the 15/1 plan?

Which ADSL2+ modem are you planning to use?
Newbie
Jan 4, 2019
22 posts
5 upvotes
dennyhj wrote: I am with you which is why I chose not to get their free modem rental. I want to be sure this is not a scam before I switch my ISP.
Why not get the free modem rental if it's offered to you? So you decided to rent/buy outright their modem?

If they want to play games, bring it on (mind you, I still have Roger's cable internet as a backup too ;))
Newbie
Mar 19, 2017
57 posts
41 upvotes
SoulSeeker wrote: Why not get the free modem rental if it's offered to you? So you decided to rent/buy outright their modem?

If they want to play games, bring it on (mind you, I still have Roger's cable internet as a backup too ;))
I agree-- i still have my cable account as a back up should they try to play games.
Newbie
Mar 19, 2017
57 posts
41 upvotes
dennyhj wrote: I am with you which is why I chose not to get their free modem rental. I want to be sure this is not a scam before I switch my ISP.
don't switch your ISP-- use your acanac as a dedicated streamer instead. FREE is FREE!
Member
Jul 3, 2017
257 posts
176 upvotes
platypoos wrote: Is this for the 15/1 plan?

Which ADSL2+ modem are you planning to use?
I have a Cisco Linksys x1000 which I'm currently using with Vmedia. Since we all know both Vmedia and Acanac are Bell resellers, I know this will work for a fact.
Jr. Member
Aug 30, 2016
116 posts
60 upvotes
SoulSeeker wrote: Why not get the free modem rental if it's offered to you? So you decided to rent/buy outright their modem?

If they want to play games, bring it on (mind you, I still have Roger's cable internet as a backup too ;))
I was told "free Modem rental" is a mistake by their CS and they will correct it. It is either $10/month or $119 to buy it. But then again, she might just try to sell me the modem as I did not order one.

Also, even if you get free rental (which I am not sure according to the CS), then what happen after one year? Continue to rent it for free (if they let you which I doubt) or get charged $10/month. If you cancel before 1 year, then I assume you have to pay to ship it back. The best option IMHO is to use your existing VDSL modem (for those currently with Bell or a Bell Reseller) and then you can save all hassles and speculations.
Member
Sep 3, 2018
280 posts
157 upvotes
JavierX wrote: First (Black Friday Week) they tried to give away free Internet for 6 months. Probably very few takers.

So (Cyber Monday) they decided to raise the offer to free Internet for a full year for the first 500 people who signed up in 24 hours. They claimed to have hit 201 at 3 pm but probably failed to reach the full 500 by end of day.

Now (Cyber Monday Extended) they extend the offer from Cyber Monday.

Why are these guys having such difficulty giving out FREE INTERNET? Should we be concerned?
This seems tempting but I am afraid they are just doing this to monitor our behaviour or they want to collect our information and might scam us later on.

Like Fonus or Sinemia this sounds too good to be true. Good luck for the brave ones who will sign up, though.
Newbie
User avatar
Oct 10, 2019
82 posts
35 upvotes
bgallagher wrote: You can have 2 ISPs at the same address? I didn't know.
you can!!! For example six students are sharing a townhouse!!!!!!!! Three are using one, other three are using a different one!! And the basement is also using its own different internet!!!
Kids are really bad these days.....
Newbie
User avatar
Oct 10, 2019
82 posts
35 upvotes
fergy wrote: They’re a Bell reseller so obviously they actually lose money on this promo. I’d calculate a loss of roughly about $18 per month per subscriber. So 500 subscribers would cost them about $100,000 on just this promo. Before this the promo they had was 6 months free. They must have deep pockets. As the reviews suggest canceling the auto renewal is not quick and easy.
Whats the point in just handing out free money!!!!! Do they have zero customers or wht!!! Oh well!! Atleaset we get free internet!!! Not like majority will be keeping the internet after a year!!
Kids are really bad these days.....
Jr. Member
Oct 15, 2018
194 posts
71 upvotes
SoulSeeker wrote: I was only charged $11.30 including free modem - if they try to get any more $$$ out of me without my authorization, good luck, after i ordered the service, i came home & cancelled the credit card i ordered the service with - new credit card will be a totally new number. So, good luck Acanac if you play shady!! I'm not paying anything for the modem or the service for 12 mos. except what i agreed to - $11.30!!
The modem rental is $11.30 per month btw. Did you check?
Image
Deal Fanatic
Jun 18, 2012
8634 posts
3638 upvotes
Vancouver
The best they can give is 15M free in my area, not 50MM... I live close to downtown in the east yorks. screw that

Top