Black Friday & Cyber Monday Deals 2019

[Acanac] ON/QC Free 6 months of up to 50 Mbps home internet for first 500 customers

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2019 9:40 pm
Sep 27, 2017
62 posts
73 upvotes
Platypoos, ON
So "free" internet was actually $140 internet for those who chose rental ($10 ship + 12 x $10 modem rental + $10 ship back).

Still cheaper than many of the other options currently available, no?

I wish I had signed up for the Worldline free internet offer. I think they didn't even ask for a credit card.
Mar 19, 2017
57 posts
41 upvotes
platypoos wrote: So "free" internet was actually $140 internet for those who chose rental ($10 ship + 12 x $10 modem rental + $10 ship back).

Still cheaper than many of the other options currently available, no?

I wish I had signed up for the Worldline free internet offer. I think they didn't even ask for a credit card.
i called CSR for acanac-- reiterated to them that my modem rental was free as indicated on my invoice-- and they agreed.. Are you trying to tell me that they will charge me a modem rental a month after they said that it is free for the 12-month duration?
Sep 27, 2017
62 posts
73 upvotes
Platypoos, ON
Ztech7016 wrote: i called CSR for acanac-- reiterated to them that my modem rental was free as indicated on my invoice-- and they agreed.. Are you trying to tell me that they will charge me a modem rental a month after they said that it is free for the 12-month duration?
Not sure what they will do. Only time will tell. Sucks that they have our credit card info.
Jun 11, 2008
99 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
For those who haven't signed up and worried about giving them your credit card.
There is the option to use a prepaid cc. Like I did.
It worked.
Oct 26, 2016
88 posts
52 upvotes
Wish we got this in Alberta... we're stuck with Telus or Shaw both big rip offs unless you go on a contract.
Jan 4, 2019
22 posts
5 upvotes
Ztech7016 wrote: I called customer service. They confirmed that the internet is free for one year even on a month to month basis. The modem rental is free providing you pay for 10 dollar shipping. There was no dry loop fee in my invoice. I was only charged 11.30 for shipping. Let's see if this is too good to be true in the coming months...
Seems 'dennyhj' in post # 43 is correct. I called Acanac @ around 2 PM - to customer 'care'. He said that the $0/mo. option on modem rental was a mistake "on their end" I said, "In that case, I wish to cancel." Needless to say, the call did not go well & I sent them an e-mail via their website -

"Further to my conversation with your customer service department (who hung up on me!) - please cancel my order effective immediately. I have not received the modem as of yet nor has there been an installation date set.

The reason for the cancellation is that when I applied for the service late Monday morning, there was the option of $0 for modem rental which your representative said was an error on your part. I replied, "that is not my problem - it is yours. I signed up for the $0 modem option & if you want me to take the service, please honour the original option that I chose or else cancel the order immediately." He put me on hold and when he came back he said he would put me on the rent-to-own $10/mo option. I said "no, I want what I signed up for" He then said if I was to cancel the order, they would charge me the full amount for the modem ($119.99 + tax) till they got it back via Canada Post. I said "I have not received the modem yet and if I do, I will refuse the package" When I told him the credit card had been lost and a new one was being issued, he said that the cancellation couldn't be processed because the credit card on file was cancelled due to being lost. He then hung up on me!!

My Account Number is: xxxxxxxx
My order number is xxxxxxxxxx

Please send me a confirmation of cancellation asap. Thank you

I then called TD to dispute the charge & explained to the agent what transpired. She said she thought i'd have no problems getting the charges reversed, probably within 5 business days.

Oh, & BTW, I didn't lose the card, I cancelled it - good thing too or else i'd see another charge of $119.99 on there. Sneaky sons of biscuit eaters!!!

GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN - or make sure to cancel your card before the free service ends unless you want to be charged for a full year of service (I've heard they do that sort of thing without your knowledge or consent!)

Bottom line, you make a mistake, you own up to it & honour the
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3026 posts
1150 upvotes
So glad I didn't take the modem, with $0 commitment, they can't and better not charge me for anything.

Mind you, I'm even contiplating if the free service is worth it since I'm losing all my Bell services to this.
I might just cancel even though this could be totally free :|
Sep 27, 2017
62 posts
73 upvotes
Platypoos, ON
Even if they do end up charging for modem rental, isn't $12 per month for 50/10 DSL a good deal? Or am I missing something?

($10 ship + 12 x $10 modem rental + $10 ship back) = $140

$140/12 months = $12 per month
Mar 19, 2017
57 posts
41 upvotes
SoulSeeker wrote: Seems 'dennyhj' in post # 43 is correct. I called Acanac @ around 2 PM - to customer 'care'. He said that the $0/mo. option on modem rental was a mistake "on their end" I said, "In that case, I wish to cancel." Needless to say, the call did not go well & I sent them an e-mail via their website -

"Further to my conversation with your customer service department (who hung up on me!) - please cancel my order effective immediately. I have not received the modem as of yet nor has there been an installation date set.

The reason for the cancellation is that when I applied for the service late Monday morning, there was the option of $0 for modem rental which your representative said was an error on your part. I replied, "that is not my problem - it is yours. I signed up for the $0 modem option & if you want me to take the service, please honour the original option that I chose or else cancel the order immediately." He put me on hold and when he came back he said he would put me on the rent-to-own $10/mo option. I said "no, I want what I signed up for" He then said if I was to cancel the order, they would charge me the full amount for the modem ($119.99 + tax) till they got it back via Canada Post. I said "I have not received the modem yet and if I do, I will refuse the package" When I told him the credit card had been lost and a new one was being issued, he said that the cancellation couldn't be processed because the credit card on file was cancelled due to being lost. He then hung up on me!!

My Account Number is: xxxxxxxx
My order number is xxxxxxxxxx

Please send me a confirmation of cancellation asap. Thank you

I then called TD to dispute the charge & explained to the agent what transpired. She said she thought i'd have no problems getting the charges reversed, probably within 5 business days.

Oh, & BTW, I didn't lose the card, I cancelled it - good thing too or else i'd see another charge of $119.99 on there. Sneaky sons of biscuit eaters!!!

GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN - or make sure to cancel your card before the free service ends unless you want to be charged for a full year of service (I've heard they do that sort of thing without your knowledge or consent!)

Bottom line, you make a mistake, you own up to it & honour the
I love how you wrote up a lengthy smackdown on the free modem. I tested your theory and I called-- guess what? they said the exact same thing to me the previous phone calls I made with them. I will not be paying for my modem throughout the life of my internet service. The 11.30 was for shipping. I don't understand why you're getting the rudest of the csr's from acanac. Everyone has been kind to me each time i called.
Last edited by Ztech7016 on Dec 5th, 2019 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 27, 2007
488 posts
229 upvotes
Ztech7016 wrote: I tested your theory and I called-- guess what? they said the exact same thing. I will not be paying for my modem throughout the life of my internet service. The 11.30 was for shipping.
I didn't get it - they told you it is a mistake and the modem rental is not free ("the same thing") or they will honour the original offer (i.e. free modem rental)?
Last edited by kkostadinof on Dec 5th, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mar 19, 2017
57 posts
41 upvotes
kkostadinof wrote: I didn't get it - they told you it is a mistake and the modem rental is not free ("the same thing") or they will honour the original offer (i.e. free modem rental)?
They will honor the original offer of free modem rental
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
3529 posts
737 upvotes
Brampton
I received the modem.
If I decide to cancel before the install date, what are the cancellation fees?
The promo said $0 per month, so not a yearly contract.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Mar 19, 2017
57 posts
41 upvotes
prod wrote: I received the modem.
If I decide to cancel before the install date, what are the cancellation fees?
The promo said $0 per month, so not a yearly contract.
there are no cancellation fees i just got mine installed and its running the advertised speed. it will be my back up internet just incase the other one messed up. Can't go wrong with 12 months free