• Last Updated:
  • Dec 23rd, 2020 12:30 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4533 posts
5071 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
vkizzle wrote: None of the vehicles I purchased required a "test drive" as part of the PDI.
I don't believe you. Every car I've purchased has included a test drive portion in the PDI, here's a VW Golf checklist. I asked for a copy of mine to be left in the car and they did note the in/out km on it.

I couldn't find the Prius one, but the RAV4 one includes a road test portion as well: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/ ... 0-9999.pdf

They all do.
Mar 1, 2020
844 posts
237 upvotes
GTA West
OP, when I bought a brand new car 10+ yrs ago, the purchase agreement said no more than 50kms on the odometer... when I got the vehicle it was at 27kms...

10 yrs+ later, I don't think it matters whether it was 27 or 50kms... :)

either way, I think no more than 50 kms was reasonable... some others here in this thread may find this no >50kms unacceptable. All a matter of personal preference... I'm fine with 10-50kms... I'd actually be wondering if it was 0-1 kms only LOL...

your post of 91 kms being a "Demo" car? I doubt the dealer will allow for that... but your call to insist and negotiate it down to "Demo" price... my 2c
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Ecsta wrote: I don't believe you. Every car I've purchased has included a test drive portion in the PDI, here's a VW Golf checklist. I asked for a copy of mine to be left in the car and they did note the in/out km on it.

I couldn't find the Prius one, but the RAV4 one includes a road test portion as well: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/ ... 0-9999.pdf

They all do.
LMAO, that's just a checklist and they don't even do half of it.
I witnessed my last delivery come off the truck, driven into the bay and then parked out front.
The tech didn't even even remove all the plastic carpet protection.

Ignorance is bliss, but you do you, if you want to accept a new vehicle with extra mileage.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1731 posts
1779 upvotes
That's higher than usual OP. Use that to your advantage and press on the dealer to throw in something extra.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
2370 posts
1445 upvotes
Vancouver
Last two vehicles I purchased I had the acceptable mileage written into the sales contract before I signed off on the deal. I can't remember exactly but something like no more than 30KM and guess what dealer had no problems putting that in the contract to get the deal done. My car was factory ordered and I picked her up with 8KM on the odometer. Wife's car was a dealer trade and had around 20KM on it. Dealer even made the effort to let me know the car was a dealer trade so mileage would be slightly higher. At 91KM that car was test driven for a week or two or the manager drove it around for a weekend.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4533 posts
5071 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
vkizzle wrote: LMAO, that's just a checklist and they don't even do half of it.
I witnessed my last delivery come off the truck, driven into the bay and then parked out front.
The tech didn't even even remove all the plastic carpet protection.

Ignorance is bliss, but you do you, if you want to accept a new vehicle with extra mileage.
My point was having km put on during the PDI is acceptable and required by the manufacturer and I showed documents to prove it.

But you do you, continue spewing your BS...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
Acceptable? Whatever you signed on your bill of sale. Usually they would put some number most people would agree like 90kms or 150kms. I agreed to 90kms from Toyota but car had 2kms.
Last edited by peteryorkuca on Dec 21st, 2020 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Ecsta wrote: My point was having km put on during the PDI is acceptable and required by the manufacturer and I showed documents to prove it.

But you do you, continue spewing your BS...
Yeah, keep drinking the dealership coolaid.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2017
1034 posts
1821 upvotes
Usually the mileage is written down in your P&S agreement. One of my cars when purchased new only had 8 km when I picked it up.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
Anything under 100km is fine IMO. None of my new cars had more than 7km or could have been 9km.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2020
3375 posts
6369 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
vkizzle wrote: Yeah, keep drinking the dealership coolaid.
Agreed. Car is test driven at factory and fully fuelled. Cars reach the dealership around 7-15km and sit. 50km on a full gas tank wouldn't even make the needle move past full to the point it needed a gas station trip. A car with 50km on the odo was probably used for 2 or 3 test drives.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
91km is probably pushing it... Preferably you want less than 50--some vehicles are used as manufacturer audit vehicles and are driven by quality inspector at plant for some 10-20kms. Some manufacturers have a max. to be considered new, some do not. Sometimes if exceeds a certain # of kms they have to write it in so your warranty is extended by that many kms. Beware of stealers selling demos (hundreds of kms) as new and never writing anything in there (because it's above the max).

As Ecsta said they should be doing some short drive on the PDI because otherwise you may end up like this guy because nobody checked anything at all:
brand-new-car-defective-2431209/

As Swerny stated this has probably been asked/answered many times on here, anyway.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
6145 posts
3616 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote: Negative ghostrider, cars are shipped out of plants with a minimum amount of fuel. Stealer must fill them in PDI before delivery.
Which makes much more sense. Imagine a car sitting on the lot for 6 months before being sold. It's first tank of fuel would be stale and off season.
Not to mention the additional shipping costs.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2008
1360 posts
311 upvotes
Toronto
Special ordered mine from Japan, arrived with 8km. They took it to fill up gas and came back with 9km.

A friend bought theirs with 40km. Said it was a dealer trade and distance was about 30km. If they're upfront with saying it's a dealer trade (sometimes a couple of trades) I wouldn't mind.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2011
2565 posts
2828 upvotes
Montréal
Ecsta wrote: I don't believe you. Every car I've purchased has included a test drive portion in the PDI, here's a VW Golf checklist. I asked for a copy of mine to be left in the car and they did note the in/out km on it.

They all do.
Anecdote is not the plural of data but my 2018 R had 8km on it when it was delivered to me after PDI. My TDI wagon from the same dealer in 2013 had 14km. Would not be happy with anything above 50. Never happened to me in 3 decades of car ownership across most brands,
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
It's not black and white. It completely depends on how you bought it. If you bought a vehicle that was sitting on the lot, then it may have been test driven one or more times. It may have been moved from one dealership to another. So depending on how long it sat at the dealership, it could have close to 100 KM's.

When I take a vehicle for a test drive, I go for about a 20 minute drive, on both city roads and highway. I put at least 20 KM's on it. So it doesn't take much to get to 50 KM's or more.

Now if you purchased it without it being on the dealership, then you can specify whatever you want. If you pick a low number and they can't find it, then the deal is void. Or if you order it, then it should show up with 15 Km or less.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
8134 posts
3485 upvotes
Financial District B…
There is one thing a lot of you don't know and/or realize is that many big auto dealers have a pound that is off site.
Also some dealers have multiple same-brand dealerships such as Humberview, Addison etc. so they may move cars from one dealer to another.
Zanchin owns Maple Toyota and Woodbridge Toyota. It's highly probable that they switch cars/color/trim models between each other
Zanchin also owns Maple Nissan, Alta Nissan Richmond Hill, Alta Nissan Woodbridge, Newmarket Nissan and Stouffville Nissan. He also owns Number 7 Honda, Maple Honda and Castle Honda. 2 Benz dealers, 4 Volks dealers, 3 Acura dealers, 2 Hyundai dealers, 3 Infiniti dealers.
So moving cars between same dealer brands is not uncommon

So what's the km distance from Woodbridge to Newmarket?
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again