Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 23, 2016
37 posts
14 upvotes
GTA

Accepting And Spending USD Money Online

What is the easiest way for me as a Canadian to open a banking account that allows me to accept money in USD (from US online companies), hold/keep it in USD without converting it, and will also allow me to then spend that money at US online stores (by giving me a credit card/credit debit card to make purchases)?

I see there are easy options to open Canadian-US accounts like the "RBC U.S. High Interest eSavings" -- except I don't think they offer credit/credit debit cards to go along with that account for making online purchases.
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
8686 posts
4886 upvotes
TD Bank US will give you that. If you don't have an existing TD account in Canada, you can open up a no fee savings account which will allow you to get the account in the US. For the US side to issue you a credit card card, you'll need a US address.
Deal Guru
Aug 8, 2012
10198 posts
4006 upvotes
BC
FreakyStories wrote: What is the easiest way for me as a Canadian to open a banking account that allows me to accept money in USD (from US online companies), hold/keep it in USD without converting it, and will also allow me to then spend that money at US online stores (by giving me a credit card/credit debit card to make purchases)?

I see there are easy options to open Canadian-US accounts like the "RBC U.S. High Interest eSavings" -- except I don't think they offer credit/credit debit cards to go along with that account for making online purchases.
boyoflondon wrote: TD Bank US will give you that. If you don't have an existing TD account in Canada, you can open up a no fee savings account which will allow you to get the account in the US. For the US side to issue you a credit card card, you'll need a US address.
If you are near the border, go visit a US bank and open an account with a passport.

Otherwise TD or RBC. Both have USD accounts in Canada paired with additional native-US-located USD accounts that you can get as well.

The USD ATM card should be a "Visa Debit" which you could use in place of a Visa anywhere you normally would in stores/online.

If you have an Amex with at least 3 months of history you can initiate a "Global Transfer" and get approved for a US Amex based on your Canadian history.
POLL: How frequent is your RRSP-matching?
Plastiq: Pay any bill with credit card for 0-2.5% fee (help meet min spending and keep old cards active!)
Rewards program transfer times (e.g. SPG->Aeroplan, Marriott->SPG, Amex MR->SPG...)