[OP]
Feb 27, 2008
257 posts
98 upvotes
calgary

Access to IPOs

Have been doing research on best way to get in on IPOs

Here are my findings:
1) Wait in line on opening day and see where you can enter at opening price.

2) Few ETFs now invest in IPOs

3)Get access to a broker who does have connections or means to get in at the before market price.
Example: Beyond Meat IPO started at $25 and opened at $50. Folks who got in at $25 bought a week before. Apparently there are brokers who combine $ from various investors and then get to buy in bulk

Question is how to get in on #3 deal. Is it only high value clients or you need to know someone who
knows someone:)

Any thoughts and experiences. Please share.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
1064 posts
491 upvotes
Torontario
What IPOs a geography?

For Canadian ones, getting with any of the top 3-5 WM full-service brokers will get you this access as their are running the books for retail clients.
But honestly even there the top WM advisors will get priority order for subscription for their wealthier clients.

For smaller or less interesting IPOs, major discount brokerages accept subscription/expression of interest - but does not guarantee you will get filled.
I actually tried that a few times as *RBC DI Royal Circle client* and my experience was "chaotic disorder" of their middle and back-office to get reasonable attention.

For US ones, unless you get on a really big one (like let's say Uber) you should be in with a US wealth manager.
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
5910 posts
2954 upvotes
Vancouver
Using RBC DI - IPO Centre - I think I've only gotten 1/10 subscriptions filled.
[OP]
Feb 27, 2008
257 posts
98 upvotes
calgary
Was anyone able to get in on Beyond Meat IPO at 25$?

And is anyone preparing for Uber? How to get in on early rates?
Mar 2, 2011
296 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
IPO is VCs dumping on public, why would anyone want to buy in one. Wait for the market to settle then get in if you want