Automotive

Accident body shop repair (Am I being to picky??)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2018 10:03 pm
[OP]
Mar 6, 2005
667 posts
176 upvotes

Accident body shop repair (Am I being to picky??)

Hi Everyone,

I unfortunately was hit on Christmas with the jerk taking off. The guy hit my bumper and then scratched the drivers side quarter, rear door and a little bit on the front door.

The body shop replaced the bumper and painted the rear bumper. They also painted the passenger quarter to blend it. On the drivers side they painted the quarter panel, rear door and blended the front door.

I find the work subpar but wondering if I am being to picky. The body shop is telling me this is normal.
3E66D8EC-0796-4321-8C7B-56B2451955B9.jpeg
66490219-C707-41F5-947C-EABD53FB34ED.jpeg
DEF951D8-F516-4EC0-944A-F366B9D80D2F.jpeg
4FEE18A4-DC7B-43CD-9677-C494F1BD9CB2.jpeg

Thanks T
19 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31252 posts
17820 upvotes
Toronto
the first pic shows different white. the last shows as if the door is painted matte white (from the camera angle) ?
Banned
Oct 10, 2016
758 posts
335 upvotes
Bumpers are never the same color because plastic vs metal
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37031 posts
22996 upvotes
Center of Universe
You're not being picky!
But white is a very hard color to match and only a few shops can do it well.
Banned
Dec 25, 2017
686 posts
491 upvotes
Rockwood
That's not very professional looking.

Did you do any research into the shop before choosing them? Unfortunately lots of bad shops out there.
[OP]
Mar 6, 2005
667 posts
176 upvotes
I did and even visited 5 shops before choosing them. They are one of the largest and most reputable in Toronto. I am meeting with them today it will be interesting to see what they say.

When I got it he told me it was the light and that it was within the acceptable limits.

I am basically going to hand them the keys today and say fix it and let me know when to pick it up.

Thanks T
Apr 6, 2008
156 posts
107 upvotes
Vancouver
That's a terrible color match! In the first pic, the two doors are completely different shades of white. I would definitely go back and tell them to redo their sloppy work.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
12623 posts
4235 upvotes
Ontario
I could tell right away the white is off. Yes it is very hard to match it perfectly & on top of that the paint looks like it may be white Perl which makes it harder. What brand/model of car is that?

The reason I ask is I know with VW/Audi etc the manufacture uses a certain European brand of paint so when you go do a repair if you dont use the same brand it will look slightly off. I know of a shop that uses the same brand and their work on vw/audi cars are always very good when it comes to paint matching. So its possible the shop you went to is using a different brand which just makes it even harder to match
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
14826 posts
5706 upvotes
RFD
Well at least you can say you got a two tone paint job Smiling Face With Sunglasses
[OP]
Mar 6, 2005
667 posts
176 upvotes
Very annoyed to be honest. There is also small protruding specks on the bumper and on the door about 2 or 3. It’s like WTF you bring it one of the top places and you get a jo-job done. I can appreciate they deal with a lot of cars and have diffeeent people working on it but really??
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
1273 posts
471 upvotes
London, ON
If you have protruding specks probably dust particles got under the clear coat - guaranteed.

As for the difference in white, even on my factory fresh car the bumper is a little darker vs the main metal body. though only very noticeable on certain angles . - yours is very noticeable right away even in a picture.

there should be a small difference even with the pearl but not that bad like your pics.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2005
2884 posts
222 upvotes
tpirovol wrote: Very annoyed to be honest. There is also small protruding specks on the bumper and on the door about 2 or 3. It’s like WTF you bring it one of the top places and you get a jo-job done. I can appreciate they deal with a lot of cars and have diffeeent people working on it but really??
Those would be dust nibs that ideally the shop should have removed at some point during the cut & polish stage and possibly will require minor wet sanding. I had some similar left on my door handles on a recent repair that had to get fixed. Sounds like noone at the shop did any quality check and just called it done and out the door.

Dare I ask where/what shop did the work...? I had a horrible experience with 427 Auto Collision CSN. Their whole job was full of cuttin corners and covering up sh1tty workmanship.
:arrow: :arrowu: :arrowd: :arrow: :arrowu: :arrowd: :arrow: :arrowu: :arrowd: :cheesygri :eek:
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
2069 posts
2205 upvotes
Toronto
I must be blind... everything looks the same color to me Face With Tears Of Joy
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2013
1155 posts
1505 upvotes
Calgary
Definately two shades of white there, get it repainted to match.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2005
2607 posts
973 upvotes
Maple
It could be the clear coat as well, paint takes a while to cure and have the moisture leave the paint/clear. This is why you don't seal it with a wax right away.

Or it could just be a bad job.

I've seen noticible flaws dissapear in a few days / weeks.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
6006 posts
2213 upvotes
Mort Réal
This is not right, sadly this is the new norm...

GL trying to get them to fix it, but my guess is they didn't do sloppy work on purpose or even by mistake, it's just the best work they were capable of doing. So, they could do it over and over again, and never achieve a better result.
Shops are not paying their techs too well, so this is the result you get.
I can't afford to buy cheap stuff. Therefore, I'm thirsty for deals on durable goods.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2885 posts
2256 upvotes
Markham
tpirovol wrote: Very annoyed to be honest. There is also small protruding specks on the bumper and on the door about 2 or 3. It’s like WTF you bring it one of the top places and you get a jo-job done. I can appreciate they deal with a lot of cars and have diffeeent people working on it but really??
I would be too, the colour match on the doors was unquestionably poor. If you're seeing specks on the bumpers those would be called fisheyes, essentially it means the surface they were painting on wasn't clean and thus something be it dirt, dust, etc. was painted over. You may want to go over the areas they painted and see if the texture is off by comparing it to the factory painted panels. You want to inspect white cars in lower light conditions like a shaded area, glare from the sun makes it tricky to catch sometimes obvious stuff.

During my days of inspecting repair work on rentals to be sold, if I saw this on one of the cars I was inspecting, this would be an immediate redo. The good news about doing that job, I can spot awful body shop work. The bad news, I'm really really jaded as I'm still lost as to finding a shop that does work that I could be satisfied with.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4624 upvotes
Montréal
xjesterxx wrote: I must be blind... everything looks the same color to me Face With Tears Of Joy
Ya, me too, are my eyes THAT BAD? LOL.

Everyone else has eagle eyes, could someone circle where the discrepancies are..? I only see the difference between the 2 metal and plastic surfaces. Not doubting OP, but I can't tell in the pix.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Mar 15, 2004
963 posts
223 upvotes
I have had my Forester bumper repainted too after a parking lot accident. I too have the pearl white colour from Subaru. I talked to the guys that did my car, they said the pearl white colour is one of the hardest to match up. Having said that, the shop I went to did a great job, I could not tell the difference from the other part of my car. I took my car to 427 Auto Collision Centre. They even detailed my car after it was done.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)