Automotive

Was in an accident: how long can I keep my rental?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2019 9:29 am
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 28, 2013
8 posts

Was in an accident: how long can I keep my rental?

I was in an accident a week ago and since then I have been provided with a rental. The total loss claim advisor just called me to give me a cash offer (car was deemed total loss) but I plan to reject it and ask for a higher one. They also said that since they've given me their offer, they can ask for the rental back immediately, but as a customer service gesture, they've extended it for a few days. They said that even if the accident was not my fault, they cannot extend the car rental any further.

Is it true that they can stop the car rental right after they've made an offer? If yes, is there a way to get around it? It's going to take time for me to find another car to check and buy.
15 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28601 posts
14014 upvotes
Toronto
I suppose you can use up to the maximum coverage of your policy allowed and then you have no other choice but to pay for the rental yourself or just return it.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13674 posts
7810 upvotes
Toronto
you can ask for an extension but it would strictly be a goodwill gesture if they oblige.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3761 posts
3176 upvotes
The insurance companies have to set limits on it - they simply cannot wait until you actually make another purchase. Otherwise, people would be placing special orders for vehicles and expecting an insurance paid rental until delivery.

You should start looking for a replacement right now.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15721 posts
13463 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Once a the car is deemed total loss they will only give you a few days for the rental. So settle up and buy a new car ASAP or take uber.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1147 posts
1380 upvotes
Barrie, ON
What did the insurance company offer you and what are you realistically expecting?
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11703 posts
8173 upvotes
GTA, ON
Unfortunately this is how it works. They did the same for my wife's write-off. They did give her a couple more day's grace, but essentially we had to borrow someone else's car or I had to drive her to and from work until the new car was ready.

Do your research ASAP, and if you're not picky about colour, start emailing around to the different stealership's (preferably the fleet manager) for your car and tell them you're ready to buy now from the vehicles in their inventory if the price is right. Tell them exactly what you want and your favored colour (but not restricted to it) and hopefully they'll play ball. If they know you're a motivated buyer and that they can make a sale immediately to clear their stock, and that you have asked multiple dealers, normally they're nicer.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Jul 20, 2012
686 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto
Check your policy. I had a vehicle stolen. My insurance company provided me with a rental. My policy stated I would be provided until a max. of $900. After that I would have to pay for a rental.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2009
1147 posts
416 upvotes
Dartmouth
Yes it’s true. They can stop the rental anytime after they have made an offer. This is permitted under the policy. No there is no way to “get around it”.

One can only imagine how much the cost of insurance would rise if every person who had a total loss could hold the insurance company hostage incurring rental costs for as long as they want while they try to get a higher amount.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4185 posts
3471 upvotes
Oakville, ON
edgar510 wrote: I was in an accident a week ago and since then I have been provided with a rental. The total loss claim advisor just called me to give me a cash offer (car was deemed total loss) but I plan to reject it and ask for a higher one. They also said that since they've given me their offer, they can ask for the rental back immediately, but as a customer service gesture, they've extended it for a few days. They said that even if the accident was not my fault, they cannot extend the car rental any further.

Is it true that they can stop the car rental right after they've made an offer? If yes, is there a way to get around it? It's going to take time for me to find another car to check and buy.
That’s the way it works. Get your car-shopping game going ASAP.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1624 posts
730 upvotes
Ontario
I got lucky and my insurance let me keep my rental for almost 8 weeks when I had an accident (not my fault.) This was an extra bit of about 3 weeks+ after the final offer they made (they almost fixed it then decided not to.) It was tough trying to find a vehicle in Dec-January, so much stuff was closed at the end of Dec. :( I had to hassle them a bit to get it extended mind you, but they were decent in the end with it, even upgraded it the day I got it due to a similar vehicle to the one I lost not being available. You just need to be persistent but polite to them. Let them know how important a vehicle is to you for work etc, (also to find another vehicle!) I had to settle quickly on the vehicle I ended up getting though still, as I really don't think they were gong to extend it again. :/
Like CanadianLurker said, get your car shopping game going asap!
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8545 posts
2321 upvotes
Mississauga
edgar510 wrote: I was in an accident a week ago and since then I have been provided with a rental. The total loss claim advisor just called me to give me a cash offer (car was deemed total loss) but I plan to reject it and ask for a higher one. They also said that since they've given me their offer, they can ask for the rental back immediately, but as a customer service gesture, they've extended it for a few days. They said that even if the accident was not my fault, they cannot extend the car rental any further.

You can try and fight to keep the rental longer but once they make an offer they can ask for you to return the rental. Do your homework and come up with examples why your car is worth more. You will never get the best offer first.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2789 posts
2059 upvotes
Toronto
This has me wondering, for instance I pay extra for loss of use, I pay a little more and it extends loss of use from their 30 day standard to 45 days. Seeing as I paid for this add on I would feel, in the event of a total loss to have the ability to use the rental for at minimum that amount of time.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2009
1147 posts
416 upvotes
Dartmouth
WMPCOT wrote: This has me wondering, for instance I pay extra for loss of use, I pay a little more and it extends loss of use from their 30 day standard to 45 days. Seeing as I paid for this add on I would feel, in the event of a total loss to have the ability to use the rental for at minimum that amount of time.
No offence but how you feel is irrelevant. The proper way to determine how much rental coverage you are due is to read the policy endorsement that you agreed to. It slightly different from province to province or company to company but it’s clearly spelled out. This is only an example since we don’t know what company or where you are Your text to link here...

So for example in Alberta the SEF 20 (loss of use endorsement) states the endorsement terminates upon such earlier date that the insurer makes or tenders settlement of the loss or damage.

So in other words when they make a total loss settlement offer the loss of use terminates.

There is a lot of fine print that people often don’t read but when you sign and buy the policy you agree to it.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2789 posts
2059 upvotes
Toronto
Toolatecrew wrote: No offence but how you feel is irrelevant. The proper way to determine how much rental coverage you are due is to read the policy endorsement that you agreed to. It slightly different from province to province or company to company but it’s clearly spelled out. This is only an example since we don’t know what company or where you are Your text to link here...

So for example in Alberta the SEF 20 (loss of use endorsement) states the endorsement terminates upon such earlier date that the insurer makes or tenders settlement of the loss or damage.

So in other words when they make a total loss settlement offer the loss of use terminates.

There is a lot of fine print that people often don’t read but when you sign and buy the policy you agree to it.
I never said my feelings would supersede what the policy says, nor would I even assume that, just pointing out that I FEEL as if it should be covered for at least that long. Which is also why I said it has me wondering, of course I would defer to my policy to see what the actual limitations are.