Accident today, help what's next [Ontario]

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2021 4:51 am
[OP]
Apr 10, 2013
275 posts
35 upvotes

Accident today, help what's next [Ontario]

Asking for a friend who's pretty shaken up .... got into accident today on the highway in GTA
  • Driving on the left lane
  • Another car in the middle lane starting to spin
  • Slow down the car (can't brake hard with all the snow)
  • The other car entered the left lane
  • Accident - bunch of cracks in the bumper, need replacement
Didn't call the police, exchanged insurance & contact information, took pic of both cars, and everybody went their way

Questions:
  • Does it need to be reported to an Ontario collision center? Is there a time limit?
  • Do we need to report it to insurance now? Is there a time limit?
  • Not exactly sure where it happened, more less know the before & after exits on the highway
  • Who's at fault?
What's the best course of action here?
23 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28885 posts
14444 upvotes
Toronto
If your friend has a dash cam, then use it as proof at who was at fault. If no dash cam, it can be argued by other driver.

Report it ASAP.
Call in the accident to the insurance company and disclose all details and collision report #
Jan 24, 2018
73 posts
72 upvotes
Just got in my first accident two month ago. even though I wasn't at fault and they fled the scene, even though I have a witness and a police report and it's physically impossible for it to be my fault based on the damage it's still taking forever and I still might have to sue to get anything for it.

Hope you got good insurance. If not prepare for a shitty time.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15945 posts
17182 upvotes
Oakville
booblehead wrote: If your friend has a dash cam, then use it as proof at who was at fault. If no dash cam, it can be argued by other driver.

Report it ASAP.
Call in the accident to the insurance company and disclose all details and collision report #
+1, slam dunk with a dash cam. Can become he says/she says if only the 2 drivers as witnesses.
Do the photos show good proof for who was at fault?
Did the other driver agree in writing or video that they were at fault?
Aug 4, 2008
28 posts
10 upvotes
Not to be an ass, but in this weather why was he driving in the left lane, that's for passing. the RH lane always offers more options to make an evasive move. Maybe your friend was driving to fast for the conditions and your not getting the whole story. Best course of action is to slow down in winter conditions. So many drivers in the GTA drive like complete jackasses. I can state that as a fact, I drove a truck for a living for many years around the GTA. I wouldn't do it now.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
2498 posts
287 upvotes
Mississauga
duckandrun wrote: Not to be an ass, but in this weather why was he driving in the left lane, that's for passing. the RH lane always offers more options to make an evasive move. Maybe your friend was driving to fast for the conditions and your not getting the whole story. Best course of action is to slow down in winter conditions. So many drivers in the GTA drive like complete jackasses. I can state that as a fact, I drove a truck for a living for many years around the GTA. I wouldn't do it now.
Slow and not too close...
Even car spin, you able to stop
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4072 posts
4207 upvotes
GTA
It's pretty much guaranteed that the damage was over $2000 combined. You should've called the police (non-emergency line).
Aug 30, 2020
807 posts
1218 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
Obviously the other party is at fault because they lost control and entered another lane.

Contact insurance and do police report before the other party tries to change the story.
Aug 4, 2008
28 posts
10 upvotes
suprf1y wrote: Too late
LOL sometimes its hard not to be an ass when pointing out the truth, But yes I can be blunt at times. I know this wont help the guy in the accident but it may make someone who reads this think about how they are driving next time there are bad road conditions.
Jan 1, 2015
671 posts
576 upvotes
Toronto, ON
duckandrun wrote: Not to be an ass, but in this weather why was he driving in the left lane, that's for passing. the RH lane always offers more options to make an evasive move. Maybe your friend was driving to fast for the conditions and your not getting the whole story. Best course of action is to slow down in winter conditions. So many drivers in the GTA drive like complete jackasses. I can state that as a fact, I drove a truck for a living for many years around the GTA. I wouldn't do it now.
That isn't the law, but it is the "common understanding" of how it should work. Highways in GTA (even with COVID) are often congested to the point that its not feasible to use the left lane for passing.

I like to drive on the left lane and I'd argue that the left lane is safer than driving in the middle or right lane. The right lane is riddled with people merging onto the highway, most of which do not even get to the sufficient speed before merging in. Many times I drive on the right lane, I'd have to brake in order to yield for the merger coming to the end of their lane rather than a textbook zipper merge. Now imagine this in winter where braking is even harder and you have to worry about the middle lane cutting into your lane to get off the highway as well.

In the left lane, only thing I have to worry about is whats in front and what's on my right.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15945 posts
17182 upvotes
Oakville
FrugalConsumer wrote: That isn't the law, but it is the "common understanding" of how it should work. Highways in GTA (even with COVID) are often congested to the point that its not feasible to use the left lane for passing.

I like to drive on the left lane and I'd argue that the left lane is safer than driving in the middle or right lane. The right lane is riddled with people merging onto the highway, most of which do not even get to the sufficient speed before merging in. Many times I drive on the right lane, I'd have to brake in order to yield for the merger coming to the end of their lane rather than a textbook zipper merge. Now imagine this in winter where braking is even harder and you have to worry about the middle lane cutting into your lane to get off the highway as well.

In the left lane, only thing I have to worry about is whats in front and what's on my right.
That's fine as long as you aren't holding up anyone behind you.
Jan 1, 2015
671 posts
576 upvotes
Toronto, ON
engineered wrote: That's fine as long as you aren't holding up anyone behind you.
It's always someone holding me up in front ;)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
5843 posts
1620 upvotes
Mississauga
killer007 wrote: Slow and not too close...
Even car spin, you able to stop
the car is spinning beside you and into your lane.... not much you can do about it....

even though you are going slow... it's still the highway....
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15061 posts
2645 upvotes
Ducky wrote: the car is spinning beside you and into your lane.... not much you can do about it....

even though you are going slow... it's still the highway....
Going too fast for the road conditions (snow accumulation or water accumulation) increases your risk for an accident exponentially (wrt. speed). In any defensive driving program, you are taught to evaluate such risk and be proactively responsive to the changes of the road. Have seen too many people fly by me when there is snow accumulation on the road (generally highway/freeway) and change lanes from left to centre lane. The built-up amount of snow between lanes places your vehicle into the domain for a spin-out for a variety of reasons. If you are surrounded by other vehicles while performing this road dance, your AWD/4WD and ESC+ABS will not save you. Now if you add the presence of large trucks around you, it makes it for a scary situation one that usually leads to injury or even fatality.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
5843 posts
1620 upvotes
Mississauga
eldiablo wrote: Going too fast for the road conditions (snow accumulation or water accumulation) increases your risk for an accident exponentially (wrt. speed). In any defensive driving program, you are taught to evaluate such risk and be proactively responsive to the changes of the road. Have seen too many people fly by me when there is snow accumulation on the road (generally highway/freeway) and change lanes from left to centre lane. The built-up amount of snow between lanes places your vehicle into the domain for a spin-out for a variety of reasons. If you are surrounded by other vehicles while performing this road dance, your AWD/4WD and ESC+ABS will not save you. Now if you add the presence of large trucks around you, it makes it for a scary situation one that usually leads to injury or even fatality.
you can be as defensive as you want.... you cannot change the actions of other idiots on the road....
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15061 posts
2645 upvotes
Ducky wrote: you can be as defensive as you want.... you cannot change the actions of other idiots on the road....
I have driven 1M km+ with that philosophy and has kept me out of trouble for 30+ years.