Accident - who is at fault? *back by popular demand*

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 15th, 2021 1:10 am
[OP]
Dec 1, 2007
410 posts
115 upvotes

Accident - who is at fault? *back by popular demand*

Back by popular demand, here is the much loved footage that people actually DM’d requesting:

Thank you to all those who were so damn confident in my 100% fault determination - appreciated and now humorous to read. (I’m the one exiting the garage)

Take a guess what the final fault determination was? Hurry up folks that said I was at fault and erase your messages lol.
Last edited by turkishdelyte on Feb 23rd, 2021 6:16 pm, edited 15 times in total.
131 replies
Jun 4, 2020
751 posts
663 upvotes
Clarington, ON
I don't like either of your driving styles. I would definitely be creeping up the ramp especially towards the top.

The other driver is hauling ass making a left turn. 50/50
Jul 12, 2018
363 posts
246 upvotes
HERE WE GO …lol bring that guy from Tesla Forum here...Jokes aside it looks 50/50.Other thing I would say is call your insurance and report it ,becuase looks like she would for sure
Last edited by Thatsamazing on Feb 16th, 2021 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35518 posts
21567 upvotes
Center of Universe
Is their a yield sign futher down in the parking garage?
Or a yield sign for the other vehicle when turning left?
[OP]
Dec 1, 2007
410 posts
115 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Is their a yield sign futher down in the parking garage?
Or a yield sign for the other vehicle when turning left?
No yield signs at the ramp, have to double check where the left turn is but I’m doubtful
Last edited by turkishdelyte on Feb 16th, 2021 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12072 posts
8364 upvotes
Edmonton
turkishdelyte wrote: Hello RFD,

Would love your input on a fun situation. I got into an accident leaving my underground parking from my condo. I was about 95% up the driveway ramp when another tenant made a tight left hand turn into the same driveway ramp. She yelled, screamed and cried I was going excessive speeds and 100% at fault. I was not driving excessive speeds and I am NOT at fault. Needless to say she hasn’t seen my dash am video. She just messaged me saying “when you decide to pay for all the damages or we can go through insurance, let me know”....ummm, what? We have zero damage to our car and did not make a claim or report it to the police.

Any advice, opinions or guidance would be appreciated. Link to video:

Thank you!!!
Without knowing what the setup is outside your underground parking, you came out of there fairly rapidly and didn't check for traffic. She did a crappy turn, and didn't look for traffic. So I'd guess you're looking at a 50/50 fault determination. Hang on to that video in safe place, though!

C
[OP]
Dec 1, 2007
410 posts
115 upvotes
KevinM56081 wrote: I don't like either of your driving styles. I would definitely be creeping up the ramp especially towards the top.

The other driver is hauling ass making a left turn. 50/50
I always stop at the top of the ramp, I wasn’t at the top yet before she turned into me...that’s the part I feel she messed up big time so I’m confused how this is 100% my fault according to her.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21860 posts
2677 upvotes
turkishdelyte wrote: Hello RFD,

Would love your input on a fun situation. I got into an accident leaving my underground parking from my condo. I was about 95% up the driveway ramp when another tenant made a tight left hand turn into the same driveway ramp. She yelled, screamed and cried I was going excessive speeds and 100% at fault. I was not driving excessive speeds and I am NOT at fault. Needless to say she hasn’t seen my dash am video. She just messaged me saying “when you decide to pay for all the damages or we can go through insurance, let me know”....ummm, what? We have zero damage to our car and did not make a claim or report it to the police.

Any advice, opinions or guidance would be appreciated. Link to video:

Thank you!!!
We'd have to see the overall lot but the ramp is likely a feeder and the lane in front is a thoroughfare. Since you were exiting the feeder, you are at fault.
Jun 4, 2020
751 posts
663 upvotes
Clarington, ON
turkishdelyte wrote: I always stop at the top of the ramp, I wasn’t at the top yet before she turned into me...that’s the part I feel she messed up big time so I’m confused how this is 100% my fault according to her.
My opinon has been provided with reasoning. I'm not coming to court for you as an expert witness. You asked for opinions - seems like most of us are on the same page.
[OP]
Dec 1, 2007
410 posts
115 upvotes
Kasakato wrote: We'd have to see the overall lot but the ramp is likely a feeder and the lane in front is a thoroughfare. Since you were exiting the feeder, you are at fault.
Fair enough, appreciated. I guess insurance will have to decide. Luckily I wasn’t at the end of the driveway yet and she entered first. So happy to have a dashcam.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4078 posts
4210 upvotes
GTA
Can we get a satallite view of the location?
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11957 posts
8628 upvotes
GTA, ON
Looks like 50/50 to me.

It looks more like poor roadway design, but that's another entirely different issue. For future, you should be asking the condo board to install a convex mirror at the top ramp so that those exiting and those entering from that right side can see if there is any on-coming traffic from either direction.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
13489 posts
4009 upvotes
RFD
IMO seems 50/50 you were going too fast and the other driver should never cut across like that. Dash cam makes it look like you could have time to stop but dash cam doesn't really show the slope and probably hard see what's ahead of you by the time you were level and thus collided.

I think you should avoid speaking with other party and just go through insurance if you need anything fixed. Obviously before this you should ask the police if this needs to be filed via report, I forgot the amount of $ damages need to be if reported.

I'm going to assume you already exchanged info?

In either case both parties need to contact their own insurance and go from there. You don't need to speak with other party, your insurance is paid to handle it for you.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
13489 posts
4009 upvotes
RFD
chimaican wrote: Looks like 50/50 to me.

It looks more like poor roadway design, but that's another entirely different issue. For future, you should be asking the condo board to install a convex mirror at the top ramp so that those exiting and those entering from that right side can see if there is any on-coming traffic from either direction.
Your right about needing a convex mirror. Surprised they don't have one.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11957 posts
8628 upvotes
GTA, ON
It will more than likely be deemed 50/50, so both of you going through insurance is going to increase both your premiums.

By the way, what's up with the time stamp?

Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28907 posts
14473 upvotes
Toronto
I say it's the Architect or whoever designed this driveway layout is at fault Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes. blind spot and perhaps no turning mirror on top of the ramp ?
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2358 posts
956 upvotes
Toronto
I don't know who would be at fault but my thoughts are below.

Where does that right lane (where the lady turned left) come from? I don't understand why there would be a lane coming onto the ramp halfway up the ramp.

If there is no sign for that lady then there should be. Common sense to me is she should be stopping to look out for people coming up or going down. You shouldn't just turn onto a street/lane without looking first.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
13489 posts
4009 upvotes
RFD
booblehead wrote: I say it's the Architect or whoever designed this driveway layout is at fault Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes. blind spot and perhaps no turning mirror on top of the ramp ?
Yep its looking like that, a poorly designed and thought out layout.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15957 posts
17196 upvotes
Oakville
chimaican wrote: Looks like 50/50 to me.

+1 exactly what I was thinking.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11957 posts
8628 upvotes
GTA, ON
radeonboy wrote: Yep its looking like that, a poorly designed and thought out layout.
It's probably one of this infill condo buildings that was built on leftover land originally designated for a school, or repurposed land from former homes or a plaza. They shove a condo apartment in there, think they're being clever with the driveway design and boom... From the overhead satellite shot, it looks like the right hand of the driveway where the lady came from goes to the front lobby entrance.