Accidentally purchased mismatched Blizzaks

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2021 1:03 am
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1170 posts
1016 upvotes

Accidentally purchased mismatched Blizzaks

Hi all. I purchased 4 used Blizzaks from one guy. All 4 have 90% tread and appear to be in impeccable condition.

However, I just noticed that they are two DIFFERENT sets of Blizzaks:

2x Blizzak WS-90
2x Blizzak DMV-2

Vehicle is FWD minivan and all 4 tires have the same size.

Is this going to be a serious problem? Will a place like Costco refuse to do the changeover?
30 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21167 upvotes
Toronto
Different types of rubber compounds
Different speed rating ?
Different load rating ?

If yes to the above, they may wear at different rate. They may need to be replaced earlier than what you have hope for.

I think they are relatively safe (for now) but you may encounter possible stopping issue under emergency situation in which different model tires behave not in sync with the other tire model (like one has more traction than the other .. per se)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6963 posts
6079 upvotes
Oakville, ON
1theguy1 wrote: Hi all. I purchased 4 used Blizzaks from one guy. All 4 have 90% tread and appear to be in impeccable condition.

However, I just noticed that they are two DIFFERENT sets of Blizzaks:

2x Blizzak WS-90
2x Blizzak DMV-2

Vehicle is FWD minivan and all 4 tires have the same size.

Is this going to be a serious problem? Will a place like Costco refuse to do the changeover?
YMMV with Costco, but generally they’re real sticklers against doing anything out of the ordinary.

Wherever they get mounted make sure that they match by axle. Two exact same on front and 2 exact same on rear axles.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4567 posts
3509 upvotes
Montreal
No, plenty of people only buy two at a time, they aren't exploding all over the road.

Dunno about Costco though.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2005
3129 posts
1411 upvotes
Maple
I wouldn't worry about it to be honest. Just match it so they are on the same axle.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
2370 posts
1445 upvotes
Vancouver
I just googled the two and looks like they are different tread patterns. You don't want to be running tires with different tread patterns on the snow even if they are snow tires.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
1101 posts
302 upvotes
ontario
jzmtl wrote: No, plenty of people only buy two at a time, they aren't exploding all over the road.
+1

i don't know when it became a thing - but for the last 4-5 years it seems 'taboo' to run 2 different sets of tires

back 10 years ago it was so common for people to just put winter tires on front axle (FWD)
or on just the rear axle for RWD cars

now you think its almost illegal with the way people talk about it Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1170 posts
1016 upvotes
golf_guy21 wrote: +1

i don't know when it became a thing - but for the last 4-5 years it seems 'taboo' to run 2 different sets of tires

back 10 years ago it was so common for people to just put winter tires on front axle (FWD)

now you think its almost illegal with the way people talk about it Face With Tears Of Joy
But I don't want to go to hell Loudly Crying Face
Feb 10, 2008
792 posts
660 upvotes

Well research and science has proven that its significantly safer and better to do all 4 as winters.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2020
3375 posts
6369 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
You will be 95% fine

But that 5% you'll wish you had 4 matching tires

Regardless of drivetrain you should have 4 matching tires. Especially in today's vehicles with ABS, traction control, and stability control which can brake individual wheels, FWD doesn't mean the rear wheels are just along for the ride anymore.

Run at your own risk. Personally, if I'm driving a minivan it means I'm transporting my family, and I wouldn't risk that 5%.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2020
3375 posts
6369 upvotes
YEG/YYZ

10 years ago people also used cell phones while driving, nor was there a law against driving high after smoking dope. Your point?
Nov 9, 2020
214 posts
150 upvotes
If they have same speed rating then you should be fine as long as you use the same pair on the front and the other same pair on the back. And yea plenty of cars out there rocking only 2 winter tires and 2 all seasons during winter.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2004
4249 posts
825 upvotes
Pickering, ON
CanadianConsumerYEG wrote: 10 years ago people also used cell phones while driving, nor was there a law against driving high after smoking dope. Your point?
People still use their phones while driving... I'm not sure your point

Mismatched winter tires isn't illegal

OP, I think you'll be ok. Not sure about Costco though, just get them swapped somewhere else.
Last edited by BD006 on Nov 28th, 2021 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
2370 posts
1445 upvotes
Vancouver
CanadianConsumerYEG wrote: 10 years ago people also used cell phones while driving, nor was there a law against driving high after smoking dope. Your point?
Maybe he/she is still using a flip phone. Seriously though running mismatched tires ie. snows/all seasons especially in slippery conditions is dangerous it's been proven.

Still waiting on OP's answer are the tread pattern different?
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32144 posts
15425 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Put the grippier ones on the back.
Contact the company to find out which is grippier.

The idea is that if you put the grippier on the front the car is more likely to fishtail which breaks the grip on the front.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10331 posts
6697 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
They are both very good tires.

WS-90 are newer gen whereas DMV-2 are older gen [still very good] and made for heavier vehicles.
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Oct 17, 2021
606 posts
1384 upvotes
Your going to spin out into a ditch or guard rail. Get matching tires for you own safety and don’t cheap out.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1085 posts
900 upvotes
if it's my car I would get 2x WS90 to have matching tires, I wouldn't want insurance complications in case of an accident.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
2370 posts
1445 upvotes
Vancouver
OP Costco will mount the tires onto the wheels for you but won't mount the wheels on to the car no reputable tire shop will mount mismatched tires on the car due to liability. Like I said I'm pretty sure WS90 and DMV2 are two different tread patterns looking at google images they don't even look close.

Also if your involved in an accident and the insurance company does their due diligence and finds out your running mismatched tires I'm thinking it could get a little messy.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
that kind of sucks. Yeah, they are very different winter tires, the DMV2 is an older generation tire (released 5 years ago) and the WS90 are current gen. I would guess the 90 would outperform the DMV-2 so if I had to run them, I would put the better tires.....the WS90 on the back to keep the tail of the car from spinning out, but that is 100% pure speculation. It's kind of a gamble what the handling will be like with either set on the front wheels.

I think you are kind of in a bind if you want to have them installed onto the car at a tireshop, they won't do it for liability reasons. I would consider this a learning exercise and just pony up for a new set of WS90 to match.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)