• Last Updated:
  • Aug 28th, 2019 5:06 pm
[OP]
Dec 28, 2010
778 posts
338 upvotes
Toronto

Accidents and driving habits in certain parts of GTA

Have been going to brampton for some recent project work..taking hwy 50 or sometimes hwy 27.
Everytime I cross hwy 7 , have this sort of anxiety and feeling of being extra careful...even a google search of just "hwy 50" comes with a accident wreck.
Many drivers in rush, trucks changing lanes as if they are 4 wheelers and need to get ahead
Just this morning a young driver hauling a 16 wheeler was noticeably checking phone coming out of a gas station...I made a gesture to keep the phone down and was responded with hands gesture of sort of mind your own business..!
And then you have appeals from victims for hit and run etc..to come forward...looks like the situation is getting worse..

having said that - can't we have GoPro like cameras within all traffic lights/or posts, where they keep last 2-3hrs recording, and that should be enough to track most violations or accidents. Whats the point of many of us getting dash cams, that's just watching out for ourselves.
It's not perfect but what else can be done to deter such drivers and influence better driving habits? A disruption in this space is needed.
35 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12780 posts
9514 upvotes
GTA, ON
Because dash cams are for when you're not in the intersection.

What can be done? Avoid Brampton.
Tis banana is IRIE

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9078 posts
10434 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
chimaican wrote: Because dash cams are for when you're not in the intersection.

Insurance companies are trying to do exactly that.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4191 posts
4378 upvotes
chimaican wrote: Because dash cams are for when you're not in the intersection.

And all of York Region for that matter.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12343 posts
6917 upvotes
Brampton
angryaudifanatic wrote: And all of York Region for that matter.
Having driven in both (well across the GTHA) for a while I'd say Brampton is something special.

The GTA is bad. York Region has it's own frustrations of new immigrant drivers but their thing is they just go really really slow and are unpredictable.

With Brampton for years you had people out to cause accidents for monetary gain. Due to the high number of warehouses there and suburban development, there's a lot of transport traffic and heavy machinery(dump trucks) flying around. They didn't used to be so bad but combined with Ontario's lax commercial licensing and TFW program it's been taken over by a certain type of foreign worker that used to be in the offshore IT sector.

When people complain about the 401 I tell them try driving the QEW and 403 for a couple days and you'll see the 401 isn't that bad. Makes the 404 and 400 seem like a dream.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16857 posts
18595 upvotes
Oakville
Karma2000 wrote: Have been going to brampton for some recent project work..taking hwy 50 or sometimes hwy 27.
Everytime I cross hwy 7 , have this sort of anxiety and feeling of being extra careful...even a google search of just "hwy 50" comes with a accident wreck.
Many drivers in rush, trucks changing lanes as if they are 4 wheelers and need to get ahead
Just this morning a young driver hauling a 16 wheeler was noticeably checking phone coming out of a gas station...I made a gesture to keep the phone down and was responded with hands gesture of sort of mind your own business..!
And then you have appeals from victims for hit and run etc..to come forward...looks like the situation is getting worse..

having said that - can't we have GoPro like cameras within all traffic lights/or posts, where they keep last 2-3hrs recording, and that should be enough to track most violations or accidents. Whats the point of many of us getting dash cams, that's just watching out for ourselves.
It's not perfect but what else can be done to deter such drivers and influence better driving habits? A disruption in this space is needed.
Sounds like you would like living in China, where ever move in public is watched and scored.
https://www.businessinsider.com/china-s ... t-hotels-5
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Dec 28, 2010
778 posts
338 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: Sounds like you would like living in China, where ever move in public is watched and scored.
just saying that we need some way to deter these kind of drivers..
as someone else posted above its certain kind of foreign works..but that will always be the case. We definitely can't have cops attending roads but with technology there might be better ways to enforce better driving.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16857 posts
18595 upvotes
Oakville
Karma2000 wrote: just saying that we need some way to deter these kind of drivers..
as someone else posted above its certain kind of foreign works..but that will always be the case. We definitely can't have cops attending roads but with technology there might be better ways to enforce better driving.
Yes, I agree. We need tougher licensing like Germany and more enforcement with higher penalties. Cops should impound someone's phone and car when they're caught texting while driving.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
3645 posts
849 upvotes
When driving you need to be ready for anything. I do admit brampton does scare me lots of times.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46349 posts
9362 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
I find the best drivers to be near central Toronto... downtown and the surround areas around it.

Like they know what they’re doing. I can attest to this because this is the area i started and still drive in. You just have to be hyper alert of your surroundings because theres a lot of pedestrians, cyclist, confusing signs, construction, tight parking, narrow lanes etc...

You just gotta learn quick and be aware.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12343 posts
6917 upvotes
Brampton
UrbanPoet wrote: I find the best drivers to be near central Toronto... downtown and the surround areas around it.

Like they know what they’re doing. I can attest to this because this is the area i started and still drive in. You just have to be hyper alert of your surroundings because theres a lot of pedestrians, cyclist, confusing signs, construction, tight parking, narrow lanes etc...

You just gotta learn quick and be aware.
It was but now Toronto is full of clueless Uber drivers.

Used to be I just my full Spidey senses tingle when I see a cabbie. Now I'm on red alert when ever I see the Uber sticker. So basically I'm on red alert all the time.

I saw them drive down a one way street and get mad at me and the cars behind me for blocking them. I had them pull a Uturn out of no where right in front of on coming traffic , Run a red, always speed thru school zones. Park and stop when and where ever they please
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6761 posts
7079 upvotes
Richmond Hill
It's just god awful everywhere now:

the right-uturn-right maneuver to skip a red light
driving down the centre/using turn lanes to skip traffic
stopping in the middle of/blocking intersections
not moving over for emergency vehicles
not following order/rules at a 4-way
blasting through parking lots at 60km/h
total disregard for pedestrians when turning
signalling after you've started merging/signalling for half a second
speeding up to stop people from merging, because having someone in front of you is an assault on your dignity

I don't know if its entitlement, stupidity or a bit of both
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4584 posts
3811 upvotes
Oakville, ON
tebore wrote: It was but now Toronto is full of clueless Uber drivers.

Used to be I just my full Spidey senses tingle when I see a cabbie. Now I'm on red alert when ever I see the Uber sticker. So basically I'm on red alert all the time.

I saw them drive down a one way street and get mad at me and the cars behind me for blocking them. I had them pull a Uturn out of no where right in front of on coming traffic , Run a red, always speed thru school zones. Park and stop when and where ever they please
As a pedestrian in TO I always look both ways when crossing between intersections, even when the street is just a one way. Walking with friends/coworkers they’d always bug me about that and my answer back along the lines of “sorry, but I don’t trust cabbies or bicycle couriers to respect one way streets so I always look the wrong way too in order to avoid being hit by one of these errant menaces”. Uber & Lyft + food delivery are now more reasons to be on high alert as a pedestrian!
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12343 posts
6917 upvotes
Brampton
CanadianLurker wrote: As a pedestrian in TO I always look both ways when crossing between intersections, even when the street is just a one way. Walking with friends/coworkers they’d always bug me about that and my answer back along the lines of “sorry, but I don’t trust cabbies or bicycle couriers to respect one way streets so I always look the wrong way too in order to avoid being hit by one of these errant menaces”. Uber & Lyft + food delivery are now more reasons to be on high alert as a pedestrian!
Yes forgot about the bike couriers.
I need to find a gig that doesn't entail so much driving
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4584 posts
3811 upvotes
Oakville, ON
tebore wrote: Yes forgot about the bike couriers.
I need to find a gig that doesn't entail so much driving
A lot of those bike couriers are a menace both on the road and on the sidewalk! They’re pretty good at not riding along the sidewalk instead of the road, but they have no qualms about jumping the curb and slicing across the sidewalk to get to the lobby ASAP. You really have to have an eye on them because you blink and then they’re mowing you down if you’re between them and the lobby!
Mar 11, 2016
215 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
tebore wrote: It was but now Toronto is full of clueless Uber drivers.

LOL Uber...Seriously, they do drive like shit. Last week on a three lane major street, this prick cuts me off, UBER sticker on the back window (brown dude driving an Elantra, no passengers). Driving way over the limit, cut another driver ahead as well, just to get a red at the next light...lol.
No need to drive like a prick for FFS. I ended up tailing him into my neighborhood of all things and now know this POS lives in a rooming house at the end of my street...muhahauhaha. :twisted:
RFD4LF. 😎
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12122 posts
2275 upvotes
Mississauga
PtsuckS wrote: LOL Uber...Seriously, they do drive like shit. Last week on a three lane major street, this prick cuts me off, UBER sticker on the back window (brown dude driving an Elantra, no passengers). Driving way over the limit, cut another driver ahead as well, just to get a red at the next light...lol.
No need to drive like a prick for FFS. I ended up tailing him into my neighborhood of all things and now know this POS lives in a rooming house at the end of my street...muhahauhaha. :twisted:
Report these guys to Uber if you have their plate number. I'm not sure exactly what the company does to them, but I'm sure if there are enough complaints, they'll be pulled from the service.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5954 posts
1434 upvotes
???
Honestly there’s really nothing you can do as an individual private citizen. The professionals that are currently tackling this problem (civil engineers, police, government, tech companies and insurance) are all coming up with solutions but it’s really the culture and it won’t happen to me mentality before people get it. Look how long it took to reduce impaired driving and that’s been around much longer then distracted driving. It will take more deaths and more fines before people actually get it. Right now people shame impaired drivers or actively encourage you to get alternate transport. Until that same mentality is adopted for cellular devices this will still happen.

You can report drivers and if you have enough evidence they can be charged. You will need to appear in court as the crowns witness and you’ll need to answer the same questions a police officer would in terms of evidence.

Btw if you witness professional drivers doing this you can also report it their company.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1342 posts
837 upvotes
Toronto
aeba7 wrote: It's just god awful everywhere now:

speeding up to stop people from merging, because having someone in front of you is an assault on your dignity

Good list here.. see the last 2 quite a bit.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6916 posts
3166 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
aeba7 wrote: It's just god awful everywhere now:

Very well said.

Had a dude and his friend go thru a stop sign... we braked and swerved a bit to avoid... next light I started yelling at the guy and his friend. They were so nonchalant even though could have caused a serious injury/injuries!!

Their response was "Nothing happened..." Not ashamed to say I challenged them to come out and fight... of course they declined even though they were two and bigger then me. Probably on student visas or previous infractions.

I say have everybody from last 15-20-25 years redo their driving test... make sure they actually do test and not pay someone to do.

Heck until came to GTA never received multiple letters from schools pleading parents to not speed in school drop off, never mind the roads!!
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.