Off Topic

Accountant buys $6-million in Apple iPhones and iPads on company credit cards and nobody notices for five years

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 9th, 2019 8:09 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
13380 posts
2649 upvotes
Markham

Accountant buys $6-million in Apple iPhones and iPads on company credit cards and nobody notices for five years

https://nationalpost.com/news/accountan ... five-years
TORONTO — On a November afternoon in 2011, Nadia Minetto waited in the parking lot of Yorkdale Shopping Centre, one of the largest malls in the country, to meet a stranger who responded to her ad on Kijiji offering an iPad for sale.

When Gabriel Fung arrived, he swapped cash for her tablet, still in its packaging. It was the start of an extraordinary relationship.
Minetto and Fung would meet in much the same way again and again. The quantity of Minetto’s Apple products grew larger as Fung’s rolls of cash, bound with elastic bands, became thicker.

Over the next two and a half years, Fung bought 5,321 iPads and 4,942 iPhones from Minetto — up to 20 at a time — worth more than $6 million.

What Fung did with them was straightforward: he resold them, some through his electronics store in a mall north of Toronto, but most to companies in Hong Kong or to wholesalers. .... (continue reading from above link)
Last edited by Keigotw on Apr 6th, 2019 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
18 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
13827 posts
3880 upvotes
Here 'n There
That's a twist on another scam those in charge of company payments often do. Fake invoices are issued by an accomplice and the person inside the company pays them and then they share the proceeds.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11826 posts
1670 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Wonder what disc % he purchased from her? Cant imagine apple's wholesale pricing to be very much off retail pricing. 20-25% perhaps?? But what does it matter... even if he gave her 50% disc she pockets and the company loses.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11826 posts
1670 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Wow and no jail time?? This is canadian justice here. *welp* In the states they wuda been sued to high heaven and in jail for 3-5 yrs at least.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
11319 posts
1217 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Article says that the dude spent about 5.2 mill, so maybe 15% discount.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
2938 posts
315 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
I guess Fung's storefront was in Pacific Mall?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7308 posts
749 upvotes
Toronto
loserga wrote:
Apr 6th, 2019 2:55 am
I guess Fung's storefront was in Pacific Mall?
His store was at first markham place. Plus one solutions.

He's being sued for 5 mill by wescom. He can't deny that what's too good to be true, isnt.

Majority of his sales where to wholesalers In China. So he made a killing as apple products were in high demand there and they pay crazy high dollar value there.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
13827 posts
3880 upvotes
Here 'n There
aznnorth wrote:
Apr 5th, 2019 11:27 pm
Wow and no jail time?? This is canadian justice here. *welp* In the states they wuda been sued to high heaven and in jail for 3-5 yrs at least.
Not 'Canadian justice' but rather it was her employer, Wescom's, decision to go the soft route on her because they didn't want the embarrassment of not knowing how to run their finance department properly all the while trying to take the company public. Backfired on them unfortunately as the news became public anyway, lol.

And the Fung guy was as guilty as sin. Buys over $5M of products out of the backseat of someone's car, then even sets up an warehouse to receive the goods she fenced and then pleads ignorance? Hilarious. Hope the guy ends up in jail for 5 years.
Dec 20, 2018
730 posts
612 upvotes
aznnorth wrote:
Apr 5th, 2019 11:27 pm
This is white collar crime, no jail time in states for it
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
11319 posts
1217 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Peter Gibbons: Samir, this is America. This isn't Riyadh; they're not going to saw your hands off.
Peter Gibbons: The most they would do is put us for a few months into a white-collar, minimum-security resort! You know, they have conjugal visits there?
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
2243 posts
443 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
I could have bought all kinds of electronics at my old job. The only thing stopping me from doing such was I had morals. I was raised as a catholic so I was told never to steal, including money from your employer. If you follow those 10 simple rules, you will be fine no jail. Greed is what makes people go to jail on earth and opens up the doors to hell in the after life
Hi
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11826 posts
1670 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
PCDawg wrote:
Apr 6th, 2019 9:04 am
His store was at first markham place. Plus one solutions.

He's being sued for 5 mill by wescom. He can't deny that what's too good to be true, isnt.

Majority of his sales where to wholesalers In China. So he made a killing as apple products were in high demand there and they pay crazy high dollar value there.
Dude graduated from UT - st. mikes college. The fact he pleaded ignorance is a joke. Removed his profile pic.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/gabriel-fun ... bdomain=ca

Mehhh... typical 5 and dime cell fone store you find everywhere. iPhone/ipad covers, repairs.

Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
11319 posts
1217 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
ji2o0k wrote:
Apr 7th, 2019 12:57 pm
crazy, the lady should have cut bait and run after a few years. $6MM - just up and disappear or something....
That's the problem with thieves; they don't know when to quit. Be like The Saint (Val Kilmer version). Set a goal and stick to it :) .
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
2243 posts
443 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Interesting, I think I may have bought my wife's ipad from this location. I met the owner, he seemed like a nice guy.
Hi