Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 8, 2007
460 posts
54 upvotes
Ottawa

Accountants Without Borders

Anyone looked into or worked in association with accountants without borders? What was your experience like?
8 replies
May 27, 2007
423 posts
35 upvotes
Babbsy wrote: Anyone looked into or worked in association with accountants without borders? What was your experience like?
There is such an association? I always joked that I regretted studying accounting as I could not make a meaningful difference in the lives of others, at least not in the way doctors can. Afterall, when you are starving and own nothing and do not have any income, accounting for your possessions and tax planning seem to the be least of your concerns.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
4181 posts
1 upvote
Somehow, I think filing taxes and balancing the books are the least of many third-world countries' concerns.
Apr 18, 2010
74 posts
7 upvotes
Montreal
LOL i thought this was a joke until I googled it ....it DOES exist!
Only heard about Doctors and Engineers W/B ...but i don't see what kind of activities u can do....like help third world countries do their taxes -_-'
Oct 11, 2009
140 posts
1 upvote
I'm assuming these guys work for non-profit orgs and small companies in developing countries that may need help. Sounds like a good idea to me.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19342 posts
3382 upvotes
Toronto
They help people organize, and can reduce corruption and waste of resources. Sounds good to me.
[OP]
Nov 8, 2007
460 posts
54 upvotes
Ottawa
I only giggled it because I herd a radio commercial for engineers without borders. I wonder how much of the accountants without borders is driven by IFRS. I am interested in gaining international experience by working with other governments but not sure the whole "Accountants without Borders" is well established. Hopefully its not another tool to recruit for Bermuda.
[OP]
Nov 8, 2007
460 posts
54 upvotes
Ottawa
Its been 2 years and I decided to giggle Accountants without Borders again and this post wast hit #2 and it seems like AwB is dead.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1277 posts
310 upvotes
Accounting and taxes are uniques to a certain to one country and may not be blindly applied to another country, while medical or engineering practices may be.