• Jul 9th, 2012 2:51 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 12, 2010
23 posts

Accounting Career Advice Needed for CMA SLP student

Hello Everyone

I have a question that hopefully people can help out with. I am a CMA student going into my last year of the SLP program in September, on pace to be fully designated by June 2013. I also have been out of a job for about two months, as the maternity leave contract I was working on expired.

Anyways, some good news: I was just offered a position at a large reputable company where I would be working on preparing public financial statements, month end close, variance analyses, etc.

I have also interviewed at another large, reputable company for a Financial Analyst position that would mainly deal with A/R and A/P. This company wants to check my references, and I believe I'm in the top 3 candidates. In this position, I would have a few administrators reporting to me, and as such I believe that the salary would be higher than the other company, probably by approximately 5,000 to 10,000 per year (haven't seen an offer yet, I just think that will be the range).

Now here is my question: The first opportunity where I would be preparing financial statements, etc. would be the better opportunity long term and more interesting job for me to take. I think that the experience I would get in that role would be much better and I would enjoy the work more. Although the other role would pay more, I am not really interested in doing an A/R and A/P job for long, and don't want to get stuck in that area of accounting.

So...question is, if I am offered a position at the 2nd company in A/R and A/P, assuming it pays between $5,000 and $10,000 higher per year, which one would people reccomend that I take? How much of a difference in salary would it take for you to accept a less appealing role? Also, if I do get an offer at the 2nd company, do you think it would be wise for me to go back to the first company and try to negotiate a higher salary?

Thanks so much for any input or advice.
3 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2004
1486 posts
550 upvotes
others may disagree but i personally feel that if you're starting a career or something that you see yourself in the long-term, then you shouldn't think about the salary as much as the work in itself. rather, have an 'ideal' number in your head, and if you're getting that, then be happy with it and take the job that you'd find more interesting. i suppose once you become really good at something and find your niche, the money will come in due time. but you'd at least save yourself work that you don't really want to be doing in the long-run.

to give you a personal example, when i started my CMA process (AP) and my accounting career, i had a couple of interviews at big name companies including IBM with more money but i ended up taking a 6-month contract job that paid $36K/year with no benefits or bonus simply because i wanted to learn the nitty gritty stuff like AP/AR and reconciliation. Fast forward 2.5 years, I'm done CMA, i changed job to a financial analyst role on the reporting side, and now have a ~$66K salary with really good benefits, and i'm still a novice in my career with a long, long way to go.

hope this helps...
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2010
2764 posts
178 upvotes
Clueless Fox wrote: others may disagree but i personally feel that if you're starting a career or something that you see yourself in the long-term, then you shouldn't think about the salary as much as the work in itself. rather, have an 'ideal' number in your head, and if you're getting that, then be happy with it and take the job that you'd find more interesting. i suppose once you become really good at something and find your niche, the money will come in due time. but you'd at least save yourself work that you don't really want to be doing in the long-run.

to give you a personal example, when i started my CMA process (AP) and my accounting career, i had a couple of interviews at big name companies including IBM with more money but i ended up taking a 6-month contract job that paid $36K/year with no benefits or bonus simply because i wanted to learn the nitty gritty stuff like AP/AR and reconciliation. Fast forward 2.5 years, I'm done CMA, i changed job to a financial analyst role on the reporting side, and now have a ~$66K salary with really good benefits, and i'm still a novice in my career with a long, long way to go.

hope this helps...
Need more posters like you. Shares experiences. Right to the point. Helpful to all.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2007
1409 posts
106 upvotes
You already answered it yourself! The financial reporting role would be better for the reasons you described. Don't worry too much about the pay, get the experience now and in the future, you'll be able to leverage it for a higher salary. I would also note that anything to do with AR/AP does not have the same growth potential as you will when you work in corporate. Good luck!