Careers

Accounting Career Advice for new grad

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2012 1:40 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 8, 2012
84 posts
64 upvotes
GTA

Accounting Career Advice for new grad

I recently graduated with a bachelor's degree in economics, but im thinking about switching into accounting. i took some introductory accounting and finance courses but not alot.
recently i been applying for some accounting related jobs such as a compliance officer. But most of the job description indicate that the candidate should be working towards "Accounting/Forensic Accounting degree, Auditing designation, CA, CGA, CMA"

my question is what should my first step be given my background. Im looking to complete some form of entry exam or certification just to show employer my general interest in accounting. Something that preferably take less than a few months to complete.
if you know any continuing education programs in accounting from colleges or universities located in Toronto, please share that too
any advice would be appreciated

thanks
13 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2008
1277 posts
310 upvotes
If u think acctg appeals more to you now than economics, I would suggest that u do you take a couple of yrs off to your master degree in accounting or MBA with acctg major so that u can finish all acctg /finacne/ tax courses at once, as there are close to 20 towards the ca/cma/cga professional designations and taking evening courses just too long and time consuming. If your passion is still in economics, go for your master in econ and there are more job oopportunities with a master degree.
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 8, 2012
84 posts
64 upvotes
GTA
well that would be the long term goal. some master degree requires work experience and my mark is mediocre at best. so immediate enrollment into a MBA program is probably very difficult. plus applying now would be too late for the fall and i have to wait another year.
I'm thinking maybe start working first and then improve my credentials along the way. I know that a ca/cma/cga will take a long time to complete. I'm lookin for something to just get me started in short term. unless you know a good Master program in accounting that doesnt require a lot of previous accounting experience.
Sr. Member
Aug 30, 2008
899 posts
180 upvotes
ON
BenDover1 wrote: well that would be the long term goal. some master degree requires work experience and my mark is mediocre at best. so immediate enrollment into a MBA program is probably very difficult. plus applying now would be too late for the fall and i have to wait another year.
I'm thinking maybe start working first and then improve my credentials along the way. I know that a ca/cma/cga will take a long time to complete. I'm lookin for something to just get me started in short term. unless you know a good Master program in accounting that doesnt require a lot of previous accounting experience.
the only one I can think of is the MMPA program. but then, you'll need at least somewhat "decent" marks. you can go in with a completely unrelated degree.
you will do your co-ops at CA training offices, typically.
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 8, 2012
84 posts
64 upvotes
GTA
[QUOTE]Applicants admitted into the Master of Management & Professional Accounting program must have:

a mid B average in the final year of a four-year bachelor's degree;
a satisfactory score on Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT)
a satisfactory score on English Proficiency Test (if required)

[/QUOTE]


hmm a mid b average, i have that :D
satisfactory score on GMAT. well thats gonna take some work

Do you guys think any college program is worth the time and money? perhaps even one of those CSI online courses?
Is getting into a MBA program easier once you have some working experience?
Sr. Member
Aug 30, 2008
899 posts
180 upvotes
ON
Don't take this the wrong way...but it looks like you're kind of just wanting something to pad your resume a bit. :S naturally a lot of finance positions would want people to be working towards a designation, unless they're just looking for a bookkeeper or AP/AR clerk or whatever...

you might end up wasting a lot of time in something you're not even interested in. are you referring to courses like the CSC course? I do know someone doing that, but that was after they got hired into a bank. don't know what's the point unless you really need that knowledge or you're just...really interested.

I'm not in econ but I'm sure there's some entry level stuff out there for recent grads (doesn't the government offer something for new grads) ...maybe you should at least get your feet wet in your field first. see if there are jobs that maybe do rotations within different departments so you can gain exposure within different departments.
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 8, 2012
84 posts
64 upvotes
GTA
i am looking for something to add to my resume because im trying to find a job. that said, I do have a genuine interest in accounting, and i dislike economic from my internship experience mostly as a data analyst.

I am prepared to go all the way, its just that i would prefer to work while study given my financial constraint. if your advice is to enroll in a full time master program, then i will definitely take that into consideration. honestly, i really dont have a clue what is best for me thats why im seeking advice from people on this forum
[OP]
Newbie
Jul 8, 2012
84 posts
64 upvotes
GTA
thank you, looks very interesting
just one stupid question, why does it say it prepare you for CMA and CGA but not CA
Sr. Member
Jan 14, 2007
821 posts
12 upvotes
Edmonton
BenDover1 wrote: thank you, looks very interesting
just one stupid question, why does it say it prepare you for CMA and CGA but not CA
Likely because you end up with a certificate or diploma which cannot be used towards the CA designation. What I mean by this is, if you did not already have a degree and only took this program you could not enter the CA program.

It could also be that the courses are not recognized by the ICAO. I would look into that specifically first.

I know when I went through post-secondary some of the courses required for the CA designation are not required for the CMA/CGA program and that some of the courses needed for CMA/CGA are not required for the CA program. There were also certain courses that were not recognized.

Since you already have a degree you would meet the degree requirement.
Newbie
Aug 19, 2010
57 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
BenDover1 wrote: I recently graduated with a bachelor's degree in economics, but im thinking about switching into accounting. i took some introductory accounting and finance courses but not alot.
recently i been applying for some accounting related jobs such as a compliance officer. But most of the job description indicate that the candidate should be working towards "Accounting/Forensic Accounting degree, Auditing designation, CA, CGA, CMA"

my question is what should my first step be given my background. Im looking to complete some form of entry exam or certification just to show employer my general interest in accounting. Something that preferably take less than a few months to complete.
if you know any continuing education programs in accounting from colleges or universities located in Toronto, please share that too
any advice would be appreciated

thanks
If you're looking at the CGA program check out this link. It has a full list of Ontario college's and universities which offer programs transferring into the CGA program - including Con.Ed. http://www.cga-domore.org/howtoget

Since you took Econ, your previous accounting courses will also likely act as transfer credits. Doing a Con.Ed accounting program will shorten your time in the CGA program and also show employers your commitment. Good luck
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2010
2944 posts
843 upvotes
mind you OP. If you are specifically looking to become a forensic accountant, CA is the route due to the auditing exposure.
Newbie
Aug 19, 2010
57 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
rapashoo wrote: mind you OP. If you are specifically looking to become a forensic accountant, CA is the route due to the auditing exposure.
All three programs CGA, CA, CMA can work in forensic accounting and can provide you with audit experience. I have friends from all 3 that work in audit and public practice. Pursue the designation that fits you best.

Top