• Jul 2nd, 2012 10:23 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 29, 2012
4 posts
KITCHENER

Accounting + Financial Planning

I'm looking to expand my options by taking a post-grad college program (Conestoga) for the first 3 levels of the CGA program. I've nearly finish a CFP - Financial Planning Program at George Brown. I've got a HBA in Psych. I'm planning for a CGA, CFP.
Will 2 designations give me a leg up for employment?
3 replies
Sep 22, 2009
183 posts
24 upvotes
Not really. Get some experience that will help you obtain one of your designations while you're in school. Preferably the cga designation. Good luck.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
1763 posts
363 upvotes
I see lots of accounting types with their CSC courses or similar. The financial planning you do for a company has nothing to do with the the planning that an individual would require.

The only place where they would meet is if you were doing tax planning, knowledge from the CFP and the CGA might be helpful but that's pretty minimal. Concentrate on one or the other is my advice.
[OP]
Jun 29, 2012
4 posts
KITCHENER
Thanks guys. Thing is, i'm leaning towards doing both (education at least) in order to expand my options. Also to see what i like and get a better understanding of how business works in and out. Hopefully accounting will help with that.