Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
3063 posts
1859 upvotes

accurate scale?

I am looking for an accurate scale. The digital one that i have i always jumping lbs hour to hour and even minute to minute. We step on it 4-5 times and the weight is different. I had a renpho scale before and it was the same issue. What should we be using?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4397 posts
2700 upvotes
Gotham
I have two scales that are accurate. A Tanita body fat monitor (to the closest 1/10kg) and a Xiaomi Smart scale (to the closest 1/20kg).

The Tanita is more than 20 years old and still going strong. I got the Xiaomi last year because it was $20 and has more features than the Tanita scale.

I would say you pay for quality. The Tanita was $100+ twenty years ago. I'll see if the Xiaomi scale can go 20 years.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1339 posts
1177 upvotes
riseagainstthemachine wrote: I am looking for an accurate scale. The digital one that i have i always jumping lbs hour to hour and even minute to minute. We step on it 4-5 times and the weight is different. I had a renpho scale before and it was the same issue. What should we be using?
You do know that your weight changes throughout the day right?
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13677 posts
7816 upvotes
Toronto
ProductGuy wrote: You do know that your weight changes throughout the day right?
this.

and seriously, who weighs themselves multiple times per day other than MMA fighters, boxers or wrestlers trying to make weight?
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13427 posts
2281 upvotes
City of Vancouver
The digital scales at Walmart checkout also fluctuate, and the difference costs real money.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Adversity is a growth opportunity. Change happens at the periphery.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14796 posts
6048 upvotes
Ottawa
ProductGuy wrote: You do know that your weight changes throughout the day right?
I'm pretty sure he is saying if he weighs himself one minute, and then weighs himself after another minute, he gets a different reading
RFD is not just for cheapskates. Those who want their expensive toys don't want to pay full price either.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14796 posts
6048 upvotes
Ottawa
I haven't found any scales that are very good at being absolutely consistent.

I had a scale that did this:

You step on it, it shows 150.5
The next time you step on it. it shows the same 150.5.
Step on it again...it shows 150.5. Great it's consistent!
But wait. I hold onto a 1 lb item, now it shows 160.6
I drop the item, and get on the scale again, it shows 150.8
I hold onto the 1lb item, and now it shows 160.5
I drop the item and it shows 150.3

So what happened? My scale seems to know that I'm stepping on the scale repeatedly and just shows the previous weight. It is fooling me that the sensors are consistent, when in reality, the scale varies up to about 0.5 lb even though I'm just stepping on and off.

I wonder if your scales do the same thing. I think this is kind of a dirty trick to fool you into thinking the scale is more consistent than it is. For the record, mine is a $60 Soehnle (German brand) scale

On some other scales, I have seen scales that show a different weight depending on which part of it you are standing on.....if you stand on one side a bit, it shows a different weight. But because of the trick above, you might not notice
RFD is not just for cheapskates. Those who want their expensive toys don't want to pay full price either.
Aug 8, 2019
343 posts
198 upvotes
Scales have an accuracy rating; for example mine is +/- 0.2 lb. It is written in the manual and on the box.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
3063 posts
1859 upvotes
warpdrive wrote: I haven't found any scales that are very good at being absolutely consistent.

I had a scale that did this:

You step on it, it shows 150.5
The next time you step on it. it shows the same 150.5.
Step on it again...it shows 150.5. Great it's consistent!
But wait. I hold onto a 1 lb item, now it shows 160.6
I drop the item, and get on the scale again, it shows 150.8
I hold onto the 1lb item, and now it shows 160.5
I drop the item and it shows 150.3

So what happened? My scale seems to know that I'm stepping on the scale repeatedly and just shows the previous weight. It is fooling me that the sensors are consistent, when in reality, the scale varies up to about 0.5 lb even though I'm just stepping on and off.

I wonder if your scales do the same thing. I think this is kind of a dirty trick to fool you into thinking the scale is more consistent than it is. For the record, mine is a $60 Soehnle (German brand) scale

On some other scales, I have seen scales that show a different weight depending on which part of it you are standing on.....if you stand on one side a bit, it shows a different weight. But because of the trick above, you might not notice
this is exactly what im talking about.