Computers & Electronics

Acer aspire desktop refurb?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2022 6:18 am
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jan 21, 2013
846 posts
242 upvotes
in a bubble

Acer aspire desktop refurb?

Was thinking of giving to a friend, her son is 16 doesnt have a laptop for on-line school. it currently has win7. im not sure if its even worth saving? its 10 yrs old. can i even update it to win 10?
son wants to install linix but i know Nothing about that.

any suggestions?
Images
  • Acer.jpg
  • ACEr_sn.jpg
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 29, 2001
5399 posts
1208 upvotes
rural ontario
ammaretto wrote: Was thinking of giving to a friend, her son is 16 doesnt have a laptop for on-line school. it currently has win7. im not sure if its even worth saving? its 10 yrs old. can i even update it to win 10?
son wants to install linix but i know Nothing about that.

any suggestions?
I have this, its pretty slow. Yes it can do Windows 10 but I found RAM was too tight. I had ubuntu installed on it and it works much better.
I now use it as a pFsense router.
Deal Guru
Jun 20, 2020
12027 posts
14480 upvotes
Toronto
rilles wrote: I have this, its pretty slow. Yes it can do Windows 10 but I found RAM was too tight. I had ubuntu installed on it and it works much better.
I now use it as a pFsense router.
Did you upgrade it with a SSD?
Destiny is all
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 29, 2001
5399 posts
1208 upvotes
rural ontario
Dhanushan wrote: Did you upgrade it with a SSD?
yes. without an SSD this system would be brutally slow. take the system apart, pull out the hard drive and I used a zip tie to attach the SSD to the drive cage.

The CPU fan is cheapo - mine was very creaky sounding... I found an exact fit replacement on aliexpress should it die.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jan 21, 2013
846 posts
242 upvotes
in a bubble
is ubuntu the same as linix? Black Question Mark Ornament
Deal Guru
Jun 20, 2020
12027 posts
14480 upvotes
Toronto
ammaretto wrote: is ubuntu the same as linix? Black Question Mark Ornament
Ubuntu is a Linux distribution based on Debian

Debian is one of the oldest operating systems based on the Linux kernel
Destiny is all
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 6, 2001
16156 posts
3968 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Windows 11 will work on it. Linux is pain the ass frankly
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35123 posts
8544 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
ammaretto wrote: is ubuntu the same as linix? Black Question Mark Ornament
I would just give the computer to the kid. Sounds like he knows what he wants

… and yes, Ubuntu is a distribution or brand of Linux

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)