Computers & Electronics

Acer Aspire T3 PC / i7-6700/3TB HDD/16GB RAM/AMD R9-360 - $899 Hot or not?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 26th, 2017 6:34 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
1912 posts
24 upvotes
Richmond Hill, Toron…

Acer Aspire T3 PC / i7-6700/3TB HDD/16GB RAM/AMD R9-360 - $899 Hot or not?

Acer Aspire T3 PC (Intel Core i7-6700/3TB HDD/16GB RAM/AMD R9-360 2GB Graphics/Windows 10) $899 hot or not?

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a nice and fast desktop that can do some lite gaming but most of the time gonna be for work so i don't need the video card to be very expensive. Saw this one using an AMD R9-360, can anyone tell me what does it equivalent to in terms of GeForce GTX? Maybe a GTX 950?
i7 6700 and 16GB ram seems pretty solid for my needs.

Saw this deal on bestbuy on sale for $899
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/ace ... 5a365fen02

Looks decent to me but any advice is much appreciated.

There was a great deal that I also considered back then when it was boxing day but obviously that deal is gone, but i just wanted to see how you guys think of this bestbuy deal compare to the last door crasher deal from canadacomputers:
(only an i5 instead of i7, 8gb ram instead of 16, no DVD rom, but it has GTX 1060 and a 128GB SSD)

Thanks!! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
8 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15168 posts
6179 upvotes
Well, if you want to know what the actual parts are worth:

i7 6700 $300
motherboard $100
case $50
keyboard and mouse $30
windows 10 $100 (but can be obtained much cheaper)
3tb hard drive $100
16gb RAM $120
radeon 360 $100
power supply $80
--------------------------------------
total $980

So it's actually not a bad value. I will say, however, that despite the fact that the radeon 360 sells for around $100, it's not worth that price at all. It's horribly outdated and the new cards like the radeon 460 are much better for around the same price. As for Windows 10, there have been multiple threads where you can buy it for under $10. Granted, those keys are "grey market" but really at that price it's worth a shot IMO. So realistically you could build something better and nicer for around the same price, if not a bit cheaper. Then there is also the fact that you could get the 6700k chip which will overclock and give you more resale value down the line. Plus there are the new AMD Ryzen chips to consider. There will be chips in the Ryzen lineup that will directly compete with the 6700k CPU for maybe $150 (less than half the price). They are being announced on Tuesday.

I'm a big fan of custom builds but I have been building computers myself since I was quite young. If you're not handy with computers your best option might be to shop at one of the Dell Refurbished sales. You can often get an Ivy Bridge or newer system for dirt cheap. There will be a very minimal difference between an Ivy Bridge i7 and the 6700k. The 6700k might be 15-20% faster overall. But this will not reflect the price difference. I have seen good quad core systems selling on Dell Refurbished for around $200. You can really save a lot of money that way. All you would need to do is drop in a better GPU if you want to do some gaming, so long as the PSU can handle it. With a low end card like the Radeon 460 or the Geforce 1050 Ti, I don't think you will even need a bigger PSU.

I hope that helps! Good luck!
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
3639 posts
846 upvotes
I was looking for a cheap PC for work. I might pick this up. Does anyone know if there's enough outputs for triple monitor on the video card it ships with?
Thanks op +1
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15168 posts
6179 upvotes
EEE2 wrote: I was looking for a cheap PC for work. I might pick this up. Does anyone know if there's enough outputs for triple monitor on the video card it ships with?
Thanks op +1
I would say almost definitely, plus can you not use the integrated graphics in tandem to give you even more outputs?

Don't kid yourself, though. This is not a cheap PC. A Dell Refurbished machine would cost maybe $300-350, and it would offer similar performance. I'm sure it would do everything you need it to do.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15168 posts
6179 upvotes
wilson.311 wrote: Thanks for the input.
How so would you say AMD R9-360 is equivalent to a GTX 950 or lower?
Do you think SSD for the OS is important?
The R9 360 is about equivalent to a GTX 750, the vanilla non Ti version. A GTX 950 would be faster. If you're looking at budget cards like that you should be looking at the current generation. nVidia has their GTX 1050 and GTX 1050 Ti cards, and AMD has the Radeon 470 and 460 cards.

And yes, you should absolutely 100% buy an SSD for the OS.

What kind of gaming are you planning on doing? Which games do you want to play, and at what resolution?

The best value in terms of a gaming card that I have seen recently is the Radeon 480 4gb card that has been on sale for $210 with a free copy of Doom. If you are at all serious about gaming I highly recommend you go that route.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
4536 posts
1112 upvotes
wilson.311 wrote: Do you think SSD for the OS is important?
Like night and day :)

My PC (built in 2014 with SSD) boots up in 14 seconds. Everything installed on my SSD loads nearly instantly. An SSD for your OS drive is a life changer.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
3639 posts
846 upvotes
Mulder and Scully wrote: Like night and day :)

My PC (built in 2014 with SSD) boots up in 14 seconds. Everything installed on my SSD loads nearly instantly. An SSD for your OS drive is a life changer.
If I purchase this. First thing I'd do is swap main drive to SSD.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15250 posts
3605 upvotes
Toronto
SickBeast wrote: Well, if you want to know what the actual parts are worth:

i7 6700 $300
motherboard $100
case $50
keyboard and mouse $30
windows 10 $100 (but can be obtained much cheaper)
3tb hard drive $100
16gb RAM $120
radeon 360 $100
power supply $80
--------------------------------------
total $980

So it's actually not a bad value. I will say, however, that despite the fact that the radeon 360 sells for around $100, it's not worth that price at all. It's horribly outdated and the new cards like the radeon 460 are much better for around the same price. As for Windows 10, there have been multiple threads where you can buy it for under $10. Granted, those keys are "grey market" but really at that price it's worth a shot IMO. So realistically you could build something better and nicer for around the same price, if not a bit cheaper. Then there is also the fact that you could get the 6700k chip which will overclock and give you more resale value down the line. Plus there are the new AMD Ryzen chips to consider. There will be chips in the Ryzen lineup that will directly compete with the 6700k CPU for maybe $150 (less than half the price). They are being announced on Tuesday.

I'm a big fan of custom builds but I have been building computers myself since I was quite young. If you're not handy with computers your best option might be to shop at one of the Dell Refurbished sales. You can often get an Ivy Bridge or newer system for dirt cheap. There will be a very minimal difference between an Ivy Bridge i7 and the 6700k. The 6700k might be 15-20% faster overall. But this will not reflect the price difference. I have seen good quad core systems selling on Dell Refurbished for around $200. You can really save a lot of money that way. All you would need to do is drop in a better GPU if you want to do some gaming, so long as the PSU can handle it. With a low end card like the Radeon 460 or the Geforce 1050 Ti, I don't think you will even need a bigger PSU.

I hope that helps! Good luck!
You can get windows 10 for about $20 or less. Search for the deal on RFD
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless