Expired Hot Deals

Acrobits Groundwire SIP client $6.99 iOS / $5.49 Android

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2017 3:34 pm
Tags:
Dec 29, 2010
101 posts
97 upvotes
alvinma wrote: "When a device receives a push notification about a pending incoming call, it launches the softphone application. The softphone creates a special SIP user agent which communicates directly with SIPIS. Next, the softphone notifies SIPIS about its “readiness” and SIPIS then proceeds by initiating its own SIP call with the device. This new call is constructed using most of the information from the real incoming call, so from the iPhone’s point of view it just seems as if the call came directly from the calling party (while it is, in fact, just iPhone – SIPIS “tunnel”). Once this new call is established, SIPIS relays all relevant signaling information between these two separate calls."
https://doc.acrobits.net/sipis/overview ... light=push
Dude, you skipped the next sentence...
Once this new call is established, SIPIS relays all relevant signaling information between these two separate calls. Note that while SIP signaling goes always through the SIPIS, RTP media streams don’t.
Meaning it's only the SIP signalling that is proxied NOT the actual call audio.
This is not to say that they couldn't log all call audio if they wanted, but so can everyone else on the internet.
VOIP calls aren't encrypted (they can be but you'd have to use ZRTP or something similar and both parties would need to support it)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
nightwalker wrote: If I use this with a VOIP provider like FreePhoneLine
FPL, whose parent company is Fibernetics (also owns Fongo), does not support SMS. Fongo Mobile does.
with a data only plan can I receive text with it?
acrobits-groundwire-sip-client-6-99-ios ... #p28439426
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
alvinma wrote: In short, when you use push with acrobits, you answer your call by having acrobits's push server as a middle man.
there's two downsides:
1. there're security concerns. acrobits could potentially monitor your entire call. they would be able to know the whole call if they want to.
Mobad's response to you is correct. The RTP stream is not coming from Acrobits.

Also, passwords are encrypted.

One advantage Acrobits has is that they can give you the software to admin your own SIPIS server, where you live, if you're willing to put in the work (I'm not) and keep a server running 24/7: https://doc.acrobits.net/sipis/installation.html.
Also, visit https://forum.acrobits.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=101#p391.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Nov 12th, 2017 5:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5242 posts
2103 upvotes
@Webslinger
Is it possible with FPL to have obi logged in to my account in one location, and use this client on the road with the same account on the smartphone?

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
lifeisfuneh wrote: @Webslinger
Is it possible with FPL to have obi logged in to my account in one location, and use this client on the road with the same account on the smartphone?

Thanks
You can't have your FPL account simultaneously registered in Groundwire and in your ATA. Only the most recent registration will be valid. The older registration will not.
You may only register your FPL account on one device at any given time. Only one registration per FPL account is allowed at any time. The most recently registered device will ring for incoming calls. The previously registered device will not. Registration is required for incoming calls. Registration is not required for outgoing calls.

If you don't care whether incoming calls reach your ATA while travelling, then you should be fine. But I would use the server failover method described in the 1.51x PDF guide that (automatic) Obitalk.com provisioning with Freephoneline will not provide: http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 805#p73839.

If you attempt more than 5 registrations within 5 minutes, you may be temporarily IP banned from the FPL SIP you are attempting to register with:

https://community.freepbx.org/t/trunk-s ... ca/22479/8
"As May 2013, our servers will rate limit REGISTER requests to a maximum of 10 requests per 5 minutes. Each authentication round usually consumes 2 requests (digest auth), so it is a fair number given our guidelines. Also, it does not affect INVITES (which are also authenticated)...

This rate limit is applied per IP address as our service is tailored to residential Canadian users (ADSL/Cable). "

What I typically do is choose to not register my FPL account using Groundwire (I have the FPL account set to "Off -- Do Not Register" in Groundwire). I can then make then make an outbound call using Groundwire. But during that call period, inbound calls to the ATA will not work. When I end the call in Groundwire, inbound calls to the ATA work again.

For the most part though, I'm calling into the ATA using its Auto Attendant to place outbound calls (typically for long distance calling only) because jitter and pings usually increase over cellular data.

Again, I'm also using the server failover method described in the 1.51x guide that (automatic) Obitalk.com provisioning with Freephoneline will not provide: http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 805#p73839. The Auto Attendant (AA) section starts on page 25 (step 10 B. i): "But what if you wanted to use your cellphone to make free calls using Freephoneline or any other
service that is configured on your ATA using regular cellular airtime (and not cellular data) by
simply dialing your Freephoneline phone number?"

The AA section continues on page 26.
The Auto Attendant section then jumps to pages 30 and 31 (for enabling AA and using a PIN).
And there's a follow up question covered on pages 51 and 52 for how to enter in a contact on an iPhone or Android smartphone using a pause (or comma).

For inbound calls using Call Forwarding with FPL, visit newegg-obihai-obi200-49-99-free-shippin ... #p28423556.

Alternatively, if you don't care about receiving calls from your FPL number, you could use Fongo Mobile, provided it works well for you (it does not always work well with certain Android firmwares/hardware combinations). That would be the exact same thing as making outbound calls using Freephoneline, except the outbound Caller ID won't be your FPL number. Servers for Fongo Mobile and Freephoneline are in southern Ontario. Server location can affect pings and jitter. Typically, the closer you are to the servers, the less potential there is for problems to arise along the path between you and the servers being used.

Lastly, if you've been using Google Voice, you're going to want to update firmware: google-voice-xmpp-support-may-ending-ob ... s-2139232/.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Nov 12th, 2017 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5242 posts
2103 upvotes
Webslinger wrote: You can't have your FPL account simultaneously registered in Groundwire and in your ATA. Only the most recent registration will be valid. The older registration will not.
You may only register your FPL account on one device at any given time. Only one registration per FPL account is allowed at any time. The most recently registered device will ring for incoming calls. The previously registered device will not. Registration is required for incoming calls. Registration is not required for outgoing calls.

If you don't care whether incoming calls reach your ATA while travelling, then you should be fine. But I would use the server failover method described in the 1.51x PDF guide that (automatic) Obitalk.com provisioning with Freephoneline will not provide: http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 805#p73839.

If you attempt for than 5 registrations within 5 minutes, you may be temporarily IP banned from the FPL SIP you are attempting to register with:

https://community.freepbx.org/t/trunk-s ... ca/22479/8
"As May 2013, our servers will rate limit REGISTER requests to a maximum of 10 requests per 5 minutes. Each authentication round usually consumes 2 requests (digest auth), so it is a fair number given our guidelines. Also, it does not affect INVITES (which are also authenticated)...

This rate limit is applied per IP address as our service is tailored to residential Canadian users (ADSL/Cable). "

What I typically do is choose to not register my FPL account using Groundwire (I have the FPL account set to "Off -- Do Not Register" in Groundwire). I can then make then make an outbound call using Groundwire. But during that call period, inbound calls to the ATA will not work. When I end the call in Groundwire, inbound calls to the ATA work again.

For the most part though, I'm calling into the ATA using its Auto Attendant to place outbound calls (typically for long distance calling only) because jitter and pings usually increase over cellular data.

Again, I'm also using the server failover method described in the 1.51x guide that (automatic) Obitalk.com provisioning with Freephoneline will not provide: http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 805#p73839. The Auto Attendant (AA) section starts on page 25 (step 10 B. i): "But what if you wanted to use your cellphone to make free calls using Freephoneline or any other
service that is configured on your ATA using regular cellular airtime (and not cellular data) by
simply dialing your Freephoneline phone number?"

The AA section continues on page 26.
The Auto Attendant section then jumps to pages 30 and 31 (for enabling AA and using a PIN).
And there's a follow up question covered on pages 51 and 52 for how to enter in a contact on an iPhone or Android smartphone using a pause (or comma).

For inbound calls using Call Forwarding with FPL, visit newegg-obihai-obi200-49-99-free-shippin ... #p28423556.

Alternatively, if you don't care about receiving calls from your FPL number, you could use Fongo Mobile, provided it works well for you (it does not work always work well with certain Android firmwares/hardware combinations). That would be the exact same thing as making outbound calls using Freephoneline, except the outbound Caller ID won't be your FPL number. Servers for Fongo Mobile and Freephoneline are in southern Ontario. Server location can affect pings and jitter. Typically, the closer you are to the servers, the less potential there is for problems to arise along the path between you and the servers being used.

Lastly, if you've been using Google Voice, you're going to want to update firmware: google-voice-xmpp-support-may-ending-ob ... s-2139232/.
WOW, CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH !

Thanks!
Aug 18, 2011
161 posts
73 upvotes
What the difference between this and the other Acrobits app Softphone? I've been using the latter for a couple of years w/ no issues.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
Korkyjohnson96 wrote: What the difference between this and the other Acrobits app Softphone?
https://forum.acrobits.net/faq.php#f0r0

Or you could search this thread for where your question has been answered before on page 3
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2514 posts
1097 upvotes
alvinma wrote: Biggest would be
Push notification so that the app will not need to maintain a constant connection to the server and thus save battery.
If this is the biggest pro then what's the big deal? CSIPSimple hardly chews battery of my phone (compared to other apps.)
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Dec 29, 2010
101 posts
97 upvotes
bogolisk wrote: If this is the biggest pro then what's the big deal? CSIPSimple hardly chews battery of my phone (compared to other apps.)
Another pro is that it will reconnect the call if you switch from wifi to data and back.
Zoiper didn't do that for me, it would just go silent forever.
That might have more to do with using UDP over TCP though.
Jul 20, 2012
199 posts
99 upvotes
Ottawa
Are there any other sip clients that use push other than linphone and acrobits. Linphone apparently doesn't support voip.ms (From a review in the playstore. I also tried but couldn't get it to register).
Nov 15, 2012
311 posts
232 upvotes
Mississauga
VitaXllent wrote: Are there any other sip clients that use push other than linphone and acrobits. Linphone apparently doesn't support voip.ms (From a review in the playstore. I also tried but couldn't get it to register).
Bria mobile, but it has .99 monthly subscription. You get g729 with it. I use it and think the sound is great. They have a trial, so you can try it yourself.
Apr 30, 2015
207 posts
48 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Bought acrobits today after zoiper missed a couple of calls (I got the call in history, but it didn't ring for me). I noticed that acrobits had a slightly longer voice latency than zoiper. Voice quality was comparable.
So far no missed calls.
My VoIP.ms settings with Zoiper:
Disabled Echo cancellation
Sip
Transport= TCP, registry=300
Dialler integration, always on
Sep 11, 2011
604 posts
675 upvotes
Toronto
Not seeing the deal price in the iOS App Store, even though their description still mentions the sale.

Also, I’m guessing since this app doesn’t mention it supports Family Sharing, I’d have to buy a separate app purchase for anyone else in my family? Unless of course I sign in their iOS device and download the app, which isn’t favourable.

Although from what I gather from briefly reading some of the previous pages, I can’t have the client signed in to a SIP provider on different devices at once? I was hoping to have a client on two phones and a device at home to emulate the idea of a home phone.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15441 posts
4604 upvotes
London
ApocDeals wrote: ..
Although from what I gather from briefly reading some of the previous pages, I can’t have the client signed in to a SIP provider on different devices at once? I was hoping to have a client on two phones and a device at home to emulate the idea of a home phone.
I think it has to be specifically supported by the sip provider.

VoIP.ms does this with a separate sub account for each device. You put all the devices into the same ring group and they will all ring simultaneously,. The first device to pickup gets the call.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)