Computers & Electronics

Is Acronis still best for Windows backup software?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2019 8:29 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2002
1080 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto

Is Acronis still best for Windows backup software?

I need to install backup software on a Windows 10 PC and am trying o figure out what to get. I have a lot of experience with Acronis, but am wondering if I should be looking at other options. The software needs to support incremental backups, restore from bootable USB and shouldn't impact system performance when backups aren't running.

All suggestions are appreciated.
9 replies
Sep 1, 2009
316 posts
252 upvotes
gta
Macrium has always been good to me . Less forgiving mind you but , pretty accurate.
“I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”-John Galt 😎
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4669 posts
4720 upvotes
Vancouver
Acronis is no longer good. Macrium Reflect is the best of the ones I've tried, although the free version has some unfortunate limitations like no encryption and no incremental backup. I tried half a dozen other options after giving up on Acronis, finding issues with all of them before settling on Macrium Reflect. The UI isn't the most intuitive, but at least it works reliably. The others were exasperating, doing things like spontaneously forgetting where they were in an incremental backup set for no apparent reason, or taking a ridiculously long time to complete a backup.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2002
1080 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like I should check out Macrium. I'll give the free version a try, then hope there's a sale for Black Friday for the Home edition.
Nov 23, 2001
572 posts
120 upvotes
OP, check Veeam. It's one of the best out there.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5967 posts
1285 upvotes
Montreal
I used to use Acronis until my version was no longer compatible with Windows 109.

I've tried both Macrium and Veeam and prefer Macrium.
I think Acronis is still very good however I read a review a few years ago that it actually modifies a PC's boot record - a big no-no that caused the reviewer to not recommend it.

I do a complete image/verify with Macrium every weekend and it has worked very reliably for me.
Phils
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2760 posts
918 upvotes
Windsor
Macrium is the first piece of backup software I have ever purchased; I've always used free versions of everything, but was very impressed with how well it works. It does a really good job of managing backups, and when you need something? Pop into the software, pick the day you want, and it mounts the backup as a read-only drive .. then you can use Windows Explorer to go get what you want. This is the first time I've been happy with backup software, and it has saved me plenty of headaches (I work from home, so being able to go back in time to see a previous snapshot of my drive is very useful).
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
Acronis was best at one point? That's news to me...
Personally I abandoned them in like the XP days.
Jun 21, 2008
541 posts
144 upvotes
mississauga
one more vote for macrium, used it when i got my state of the art top of the line no expense spared ismart 4100 from cc, to transfer os to 240 Gb nvme ssd
previously been using clonezilla, powerful but ui not user friendly, does a mighty fine job though
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13109 posts
2361 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Phils wrote: I think Acronis is still very good however I read a review a few years ago that it actually modifies a PC's boot record - a big no-no that caused the reviewer to not recommend it.
I installed Acronis once on an XP machine. After uninstalling, it left a bunch of crap on my system, including registry settings. It took work to get rid of the crap, but then my system would f up and not recognize a HDD. Avoid, unless you're running Acronis off some kind of boot media.

Old article/post, but I believe it relates to what I experienced:
"Many users of Acronis (and some other) backup software are unaware of the fact that merely installing it, even on a trial basis, completely changes the way in which your system handles ALL storage devices and volumes."
-- https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads ... es.316447/

You know it's bad news when the software company has a special clean-up program for their crapware: https://kb.acronis.com/content/40366

I haven't touched their stuff since then, so maybe they've cleaned up their act.