Automotive

Acura B16 service requires transmission fluid change?

• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2010 3:04 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 28, 2008
395 posts
4 upvotes

Acura B16 service requires transmission fluid change?

Hello All,

My MDX crossed 20K and showed me I need a B16 service. So I called my local Acura dealer and he quoted me $320 !!! (US counterparts charge $170ish). I know I can do it on my own for perhaps $150, but I dont have the time nor a garage to do it in..but thats besides the point :)

So I ask him to tell me what all is required, and one thing he mentioned was that I need a rear differential flush....I ask him why is it required at just 20K and if the next flush would be much later now that the transmission has "broken" in? he says everyeones mileage will vary, but average is 20K before every differential flush. is this normal? What have other Acura owners with SH-AWD seen? Whats the frequency of your differential fluid change?

Thanks
8 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34852 posts
8819 upvotes
Ottawa
Hate to say this but....no wait, I don't hate to say this..... What does your owners manual recommend?
Everything you need to know about your cars maintenance requirements is in there.

Sometimes I think new car owners must be made to read the manual and then pass a test of 10 or so randomly selected questions before they can pick up their new car. :lol:

Not being snotty or attempting to be snide but the "read the owners manual" is a predominant answer to many threads here.
Oct 20, 2008
131 posts
4 upvotes
Burnaby
Hi
Pete_Coach wrote: Hate to say this but....no wait, I don't hate to say this..... What does your owners manual recommend?
Everything you need to know about your cars maintenance requirements is in there.

Sometimes I think new car owners must be made to read the manual and then pass a test of 10 or so randomly selected questions before they can pick up their new car. :lol:

Not being snotty or attempting to be snide but the "read the owners manual" is a predominant answer to many threads here.

Try reading the Manuals for new Hondas and Acuras , they no longer have the maintenance schedules. You either go on line to Edmunds or go by the onboard computer schedule. Maybe you wish to apologize to the OP?
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2002
1312 posts
93 upvotes
They have a section that tells you what the maintenance codes mean.

As for the OP, yes the service is required to maintain your warranty. I believe the service you mentioned though includes more than just the differential flush though. Ie oil change, brake inspection and a few other things.

The flush alone should be in the $140-200 range. $60 in fluid plus and an hour labour.
[OP]
Dec 28, 2008
395 posts
4 upvotes
PMM1 wrote: Hi

Try reading the Manuals for new Hondas and Acuras , they no longer have the maintenance schedules. You either go on line to Edmunds or go by the onboard computer schedule. Maybe you wish to apologize to the OP?
Thanks PMM...appreciate it man.

Pete_Coach: As PMM said, the vehicle tells you what it wants :) Whenever I've called the dealer for service, they ask me "whats the message on the information display "..and then based on that they tell you what they will do and how much it will cost. A1 is just the regular oil change, B1 is oilchange with tire rotation, if it's followed by a 6 it means it requires a diff flush.

All I wanted to know is if the diff fluid flush is required every 20K Kms or the fact that this it's first dif fluid change and so might be dirty, but the next one will last till 60K Km or such...

Anyone?
[OP]
Dec 28, 2008
395 posts
4 upvotes
Kenneth wrote: They have a section that tells you what the maintenance codes mean.

As for the OP, yes the service is required to maintain your warranty. I believe the service you mentioned though includes more than just the differential flush though. Ie oil change, brake inspection and a few other things.

The flush alone should be in the $140-200 range. $60 in fluid plus and an hour labour.
I've been following some posts on mdxers.org, and they say the fluid for flush is around $80-100 bucks plus 1.5 hours to change the fluid as you need to pump in the fluid and if you dont have the right tools, it takes a while to pump it in (a few mins if you have the proper tools). Plus you need to lower the spare from underneath as well...so most folks say it would have cost them $120- $140 in all parts, plus their time.

Plus, i'm not refuting the dealers charges...they have been very good to me and so I dont mind paying a bit more for service (plus no garage for me)...just curious on why Acura wants this fluid flushed every 20K
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2258 posts
90 upvotes
sweetadad wrote: Hello All,

My MDX crossed 20K and showed me I need a B16 service. So I called my local Acura dealer and he quoted me $320 !!! (US counterparts charge $170ish). I know I can do it on my own for perhaps $150, but I dont have the time nor a garage to do it in..but thats besides the point :)

So I ask him to tell me what all is required, and one thing he mentioned was that I need a rear differential flush....I ask him why is it required at just 20K and if the next flush would be much later now that the transmission has "broken" in? he says everyeones mileage will vary, but average is 20K before every differential flush. is this normal? What have other Acura owners with SH-AWD seen? Whats the frequency of your differential fluid change?

Thanks
This might be of help to you.

http://www.acurasherway.com/en/service/ ... s#dropmenu

It says "12,000 km: Replace rear differential fluid and every 24,000km thereafter if vehicle is regularly driving in mountainous areas at very low speeds, or if vehicle is frequently used to tow a trailer."

I guess you don't drive in mountainous areas often/at all, thus you might need to replace at intervals much greater than 24000 km.
[OP]
Dec 28, 2008
395 posts
4 upvotes
tapanpatel88 wrote: This might be of help to you.

http://www.acurasherway.com/en/service/ ... s#dropmenu

It says "12,000 km: Replace rear differential fluid and every 24,000km thereafter if vehicle is regularly driving in mountainous areas at very low speeds, or if vehicle is frequently used to tow a trailer."

I guess you don't drive in mountainous areas often/at all, thus you might need to replace at intervals much greater than 24000 km.
Thanks tapanpatel88 ..Great find. So I guess the interval will be longer to roughly 40K between changes....aaah..much better.

Thanks again
Nov 28, 2005
921 posts
9 upvotes
Windsor
differentials have gears.
when gears and other metal components are cast, there is flash.
flash is the thin material that is on the edges of gears.
ie a plastic model set pieces.

this flash will flake /grind off when the gears are meshed together.
imagine all those metal bits mixed with the fluid going into the gears.

flushing the fluid will remove the bits.