Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

ADATA Premier SP550 2.5" 480GB SATA III SSD $160 + $6 Shipping

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2016 8:48 am
Tags:
None
13 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 28, 2002
3540 posts
2124 upvotes
In before the TLC sux trolls chime in... :razz:
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
Redscott wrote: In before the TLC sux trolls chime in... :razz:
so I can only assume you are a huge fan of tlc that is priced similar to mlc?

tlc has its place, but only if it's priced at 60% of a similar mlc-based ssd. otherwise, buy mlc.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 12, 2009
29352 posts
20200 upvotes
JackWhyte wrote: so I can only assume you are a huge fan of tlc that is priced similar to mlc?

tlc has its place, but only if it's priced at 60% of a similar mlc-based ssd. otherwise, buy mlc.
How did you come up with this price ratio? For most users, even TLC will outlast obsolescence. But if it is the same price as MLC, I agree why not get some extra P/E cycles for the money.
Banned
Dec 2, 2009
255 posts
75 upvotes
Terrace
I had the 250gb version of this drive and it sucked so much (returned it). Cloning a drive to it took forever, once the data cache is filled, this drive writes data at like 70mb/s which is way worse than an old school mechanical hard drive.
Newbie
May 6, 2011
76 posts
10 upvotes
I have an extra Evo 850 500gb that I'm planning to return to bestbuy. PM if you want to buy it for the last sale price.
Member
Aug 28, 2011
479 posts
184 upvotes
I've had a few Adata SSDs, not bad really. I have a 256GB in my laptop now, works just fine.
Sr. Member
User avatar
May 24, 2007
713 posts
867 upvotes
Kelowna
SSD sales every other day. Where are the msata deals?
Jr. Member
Jul 2, 2007
181 posts
202 upvotes
Toronto
Hexxed wrote: SSD sales every other day. Where are the msata deals?
MSATA is a dying breed :(
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
will888 wrote: How did you come up with this price ratio?
the cost of tlc vs. mlc.

the problem with tlc is that it's 60% (or less) the cost of mlc, yet ssd vendors are trying to pull a fast one and price low-end tlc drives equivalent (or very close) to mlc drives.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
Sphexi wrote: I've had a few Adata SSDs, not bad really. I have a 256GB in my laptop now, works just fine.
but adata makes some very nice mlc-based ssds, and it's not the brand we're worried about, it's the crappy tlc nand used in the sp550 model specifically.
kevinssmith wrote: I had the 250gb version of this drive and it sucked so much (returned it). Cloning a drive to it took forever, once the data cache is filled, this drive writes data at like 70mb/s which is way worse than an old school mechanical hard drive.
that's what most people fail to understand - tlc memory is physically slower than an old mechanical hard drive, and it's only by adding in mlc cache to "fake" the performance results that it even competes on any benchmark. cloning an existing mechanical drive will be much slower than the old hard drive, for sure.

Top