Automotive

add "accident forgiveness" to my car insurance?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 15th, 2019 12:06 pm
Tags:
Jun 17, 2017
249 posts
35 upvotes

add "accident forgiveness" to my car insurance?

The agent strongly recommend this, is it necessary? Does it really help to maintain previous premium and to forgive accidents in case of accidents?
17 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
healsio wrote: The agent strongly recommend this, is it necessary? Does it really help to maintain previous premium and to forgive accidents in case of accidents?
Yeh it does work. As long as you stick to the same company (they honor the forgiveness).
Its very cheap coverage. I think its worth it.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1168 upvotes
I had an at fault about 10 years ago. I had the coverage back then and still do now. Definitely get it. The only thing is, don't use it on a small parking lot mishap etc, use it on a real accident. So if it's a small fender bender, be prepared to pay out of pocket if you caused the damage to maintain the coverage.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12399 posts
4935 upvotes
Toronto
Get it, one day you will come thanks us.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21245 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
healsio wrote: The agent strongly recommend this, is it necessary? Does it really help to maintain previous premium and to forgive accidents in case of accidents?
What it's worth depends on how much it is and how likely you are to need it. How careful of a driver are you? Never text or let yourself get distracted? Or are you one of the many fools who can't stay off their phone?
Insurance co. has done the math and know they will statistically make money off this, You might never need it, or your might need it tomorrow.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Nov 13, 2013
112 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
When renewing I took it, as careful as a driver you can be ( never had an at fault accident , only one not at fault 8 years ago), mistakes can happen. The price per month is negligible.

My broker also offered minor conviction protection, I believe it was somewhere in the 4-5$ a month for this option.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21245 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
MitSLo wrote: When renewing I took it, as careful as a driver you can be ( never had an at fault accident , only one not at fault 8 years ago), mistakes can happen. The price per month is negligible.

My broker also offered minor conviction protection, I believe it was somewhere in the 4-5$ a month for this option.
I think I got accident forgiveness for free 1-3 years ago? Seems fair as I've been with TDMM for 20+ years with zero claims. I've probably paid them almost $40k in that time.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4533 posts
5071 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
It's good if you don't make a lot of claims. TDMM (at least on my plan) has 6 years with no at fault claims means you get a forgiveness of something at fault.

Literally 2 weeks after passing the 6 year mark i got in an at-fault accident. Rate stayed the same. I get accident forgiveness back in like another 2 years.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9505 posts
1457 upvotes
Ontario
absolutely worth it.. keep in mind if you have an at fault accident this coverage is non transferable to another company. It will only be honoured by the company you are with at the time of the accident with this coverage.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9505 posts
1457 upvotes
Ontario
this coverage does not protect the rates, it protects you from being rated for your first at fault accident. If FSCO approves a rate increase you will still see those reflected on your policy.
Ecsta wrote: It's good if you don't make a lot of claims. TDMM (at least on my plan) has 6 years with no at fault claims means you get a forgiveness of something at fault.

Literally 2 weeks after passing the 6 year mark i got in an at-fault accident. Rate stayed the same. I get accident forgiveness back in like another 2 years.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9505 posts
1457 upvotes
Ontario
minor conviction protection is a good coverage as well. It protects against the oldest conviction you may have on your record. ex if you have 2 tickets, you'll only be rated for 1 as the oldest one is non rate-able.
MitSLo wrote: When renewing I took it, as careful as a driver you can be ( never had an at fault accident , only one not at fault 8 years ago), mistakes can happen. The price per month is negligible.

Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
3083 posts
1445 upvotes
GTA
I love how insurance companies give us the option to pay for insurance on our insurance :)
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2007
2393 posts
2116 upvotes
Waterloo
Viperoni wrote: I love how insurance companies give us the option to pay for insurance on our insurance :)
I see you've got some nice insurance there...it would be a real shame if something bad was to happen to your insurance :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9505 posts
1457 upvotes
Ontario
or you can call it, purchase insurance so we don't get rolled over on premium in the event of an AF or conviction :rolleyes:
Viperoni wrote: I love how insurance companies give us the option to pay for insurance on our insurance :)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
Insurance is one big scam and the FSCO is a mockery with their hands in the industry's pocket.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2014
1192 posts
475 upvotes
GTA, ON
COSMIC5 wrote: absolutely worth it.. keep in mind if you have an at fault accident this coverage is non transferable to another company. It will only be honoured by the company you are with at the time of the accident with this coverage.
I was told that I needed 6 years of insurance history with my current provider to be provided accident forgiveness with my provider.

My question is if i switch insurance providers in a few years, would I have to wait another 6 years for them to offer this?
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
830 upvotes
Waterloo
wolfpack27616 wrote: I was told that I needed 6 years of insurance history with my current provider to be provided accident forgiveness with my provider.

My question is if i switch insurance providers in a few years, would I have to wait another 6 years for them to offer this?
you need a period ( 5-6 ) years of (atfault )accident free history. Insurance provider doesn't matter.
----
Pay it forward.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
9505 posts
1457 upvotes
Ontario
each company has their own requirement for you to qualify for their accident waiver protection... you do not start counting again if you choose to switch providers..
wolfpack27616 wrote: I was told that I needed 6 years of insurance history with my current provider to be provided accident forgiveness with my provider.