Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 8, 2007
749 posts
156 upvotes

add a new gas line to the gas range?

hi there:

I am thinking to add a new gas line from the meter to the kitchen and possible leave a outlet for the gas bbq.

how much doe it cost roughly to put it in in BC? Victoria. One guy quoted me 1000 to start with...
Running on hackintosh in 2011: I5 ivy Bridge 3.10 HD3000, Zotac 1030 2G video card, HDMI 2.0 cable, 16G RAM( max out at 1600mhz) on a Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Mobo with ITB Crucial MX500 SSD, With 4K 60HZ UM7300AUE as a monitor> Retina Display
9 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16599 posts
2314 upvotes
I'm not sure about Victoria, but in Toronto, it's about $250 to 300 for 10 feet of 1/2" pipe, then $10 to $20 per each additional foot.

How long is your run?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6264 posts
3329 upvotes
Mississauga
Do they even use black pipe anymore? I thought everyone switched to Gastite.

Five years ago we had a 20' gas line run for a new stove and it was about $750. But this is Toronto where prices for any reno work are always higher.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8710 posts
5091 upvotes
ON
mrweather wrote: Do they even use black pipe anymore? I thought everyone switched to Gastite.

Five years ago we had a 20' gas line run for a new stove and it was about $750. But this is Toronto where prices for any reno work are always higher.
Flex pipe(csst) isn't to be used for going through walls or floors. Not according to code anyhow. Black pipe is much safer against puctures. I wouldn't use it for anything other than exposed connections that can be easily inspected.
http://www.everythinglubbock.com/news/k ... in-lubbock
http://www.classaction.org/csst
Jul 20, 2012
691 posts
225 upvotes
Toronto
mrweather wrote: Do they even use black pipe anymore? I thought everyone switched to Gastite.

Gastite is faster to use. I just re-routed my bbq gas line from the side of my house. I used black pipe. I like using black pipe outside. I threaded pipe for 35 years so for me it was easier, plus I'm retired so I've got nothing better to do. :lol:
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
1710 posts
639 upvotes
Kitchener
dilligafeh wrote: Flex pipe(csst) isn't to be used for going through walls or floors. Not according to code anyhow. Black pipe is much safer against puctures. I wouldn't use it for anything other than exposed connections that can be easily inspected.
http://www.everythinglubbock.com/news/k ... in-lubbock
http://www.classaction.org/csst
What code? You couldn't be more wrong...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8710 posts
5091 upvotes
ON
Jamie_Canuck wrote: What code? You couldn't be more wrong...
Orly ?
B149.1-10 - Clauses Amended;

AMENDED - Clause 6.20.3
When a gas hose is used
(a) for permanent installation, it shall not exceed 10 ft (3 m) in length and shall neither extend from one room to another nor pass through any wall, partition, ceiling, or floor;
Sep 12, 2008
575 posts
198 upvotes
Hamilton, on
dilligafeh wrote: Orly ?

AMENDED - Clause 6.20.3
When a gas hose is used
(a) for permanent installation, it shall not exceed 10 ft (3 m) in length and shall neither extend from one room to another nor pass through any wall, partition, ceiling, or floor;

Is this for the small flex hose at the end, or the entire length? Ive had several stoves installed with (copper) flex pipe no issues.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
4032 posts
1978 upvotes

AMENDED - Clause 6.20.3
When a gas hose is used
CSST (corrugated stainless steel tubing) is classified as tubing not hose!!
And it's not to be confused with the gas flex connecting the appliance.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
1710 posts
639 upvotes
Kitchener

AMENDED - Clause 6.20.3
When a gas hose is used
You rly might want to rethink giving gas advice to people when you have no idea what you are talking about...