• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2018 9:40 am
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 16, 2018
940 posts
894 upvotes

Adding 16 year old as occasional drive

Any one have any idea of a rough estimate of how much of an insurance increase we will see when we add our 16 year old daughter as an occasional driver on to one of our cars?
She will not be the primary driver, just an occasional.

Been trying to get thru to the insurance company all day now, been on hold forever multiple times thru the day and have ended up hanging up each time.

She turns 16 tomorrow, look out!

Thanks
5 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1147 upvotes
This is several years ago, and I'm going to assume Ontario, but when I got my G1 there was no charge for the additional driver. If she gets into an accident it would go on the record of the fully licensed driver. Once she gets her G2 she would need to be added as a secondary driver. I'm sure someone in the insurance industry can confirm or deny if it's still this way.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
3288 posts
578 upvotes
Newbury, ON
If Ontario... once she gets her G2 you have to add her as a now licensed driver in the household. Cost will vary by where you live and what you drive, but it will likely be painful.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8555 posts
1271 upvotes
Ontario
impossible to answer, each company has different rates and this also depends on the type of vehicle, does she have drivers ed, territory etc etc etc.. most companies charge for an occ'l female, but there are some out there that do not charge at all...the good thing is, it will be alot cheaper than if she were a young male

sorry to hear you can't get ahold of anyone.. no excuse
HghSsociety wrote: Any one have any idea of a rough estimate of how much of an insurance increase we will see when we add our 16 year old daughter as an occasional driver on to one of our cars?
She will not be the primary driver, just an occasional.

Been trying to get thru to the insurance company all day now, been on hold forever multiple times thru the day and have ended up hanging up each time.

She turns 16 tomorrow, look out!

Thanks
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
8555 posts
1271 upvotes
Ontario
actually once they get G1 you're supposed to advise your carrier.. there is no charge until the G2 has been obtained
rilles wrote: If Ontario... once she gets her G2 you have to add her as a now licensed driver in the household. Cost will vary by where you live and what you drive, but it will likely be painful.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 35 years experience