Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
1262 posts
81 upvotes
oshawa

adding 2 rooms to basement

I looked at the oshawa bylaws and it states that each bedroom should have window with natural light. i know this property has 1 window and i dont want to setup a bedroom but 2 rooms that we will use as home offices.
do home offices count as bedrooms under the law?
https://www.oshawa.ca/residents/basemen ... ations.asp
if you dont have an answer, dont repond to my thread.
I need answers, and thats why i use redflagdeals forums.
6 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9961 upvotes
Edmonton
junkone wrote: I looked at the oshawa bylaws and it states that each bedroom should have window with natural light. i know this property has 1 window and i dont want to setup a bedroom but 2 rooms that we will use as home offices.
do home offices count as bedrooms under the law?
https://www.oshawa.ca/residents/basemen ... ations.asp
Nobody really cares what you do inside your own private home. If you want to set up a desk in your bathroom, knock yourself out. The biggest concern is the fire hazard involved with a basement bedroom with no egress if there was a fire on the stairs in the middle of the night. Since you're talking about offices, this isn't a concern.

It also means you can't market it later as having 2 bedrooms in the basement, but you can leave it staged as an office or exercise room or playroom.

C
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22780 posts
21617 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
CNeufeld wrote: Nobody really cares what you do inside your own private home. If you want to set up a desk in your bathroom, knock yourself out. The biggest concern is the fire hazard involved with a basement bedroom with no egress if there was a fire on the stairs in the middle of the night. Since you're talking about offices, this isn't a concern.

It also means you can't market it later as having 2 bedrooms in the basement, but you can leave it staged as an office or exercise room or playroom.

C
This

Rule of Thumb ... WHAT MAKES A BEDROOM ?

Bedrooms have a closet, and a second exit / window.

In a basement situation, that’s a window with egress

A room with no window, or closet ... is an office, den, reading room, ... or whatever else you wish to call it
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1384 posts
1415 upvotes
ON
I think egress window is not a requirement if your basement has two entry/exit points. A window however is required in the bedroom and the window size requirements vary with the square footage of the bedroom. Home office is not treated as a bedroom by the municipality.

Source: From what I can remember when I had a basement apartment built about 4 years ago. I was treating the second room as a study since it didn’t have a window but later on I revised the plans to a second bedroom with a new window.
”If you buy things you don’t need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2005
1251 posts
73 upvotes
how big do window wells need to be for egress windows in mississauga? and for the bedrooms as well? if they just require bigger windows for light then how big does the well have to be?
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11946 posts
7118 upvotes
Paris
PointsHubby wrote:
A room with no window, or closet ... is an office, den, reading room, ... or whatever else you wish to call it
Home theatre/workout/yoga studio. Its just a room with no window people dont sleep in.

My main floor bath doesnt have a window either.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11946 posts
7118 upvotes
Paris
hello99 wrote: how big do window wells need to be for egress windows in mississauga? and for the bedrooms as well? if they just require bigger windows for light then how big does the well have to be?
Its a whole big thing that differs slightly by municipality. The OBC sets out minimums of at least 15” in either direction with a min square footage plus clear space on either side to get out. Window wells need to be very big on the outside to meet codes and you need a way out on the inside if its more than 42” (I think) off the ground.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)