• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2021 10:45 am
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 17, 2006
617 posts
329 upvotes

Adding calcium to pool

So whenever I go to the pool store at the beginning of the season to have my water tested (like now lol), the print out always includes the addition of calcium (along with the usual ph and alcalinity products). Do I need and should I be adding calcium? One guy once told me if the water doesn't have enough calcium, it will leach elsewhere. I guess this would make sense on purely concrete pool. My pool is concrete with a vinyl liner, so the water doesn't touch any concrete.
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5986 posts
3540 upvotes
Ottawa
I've been told that soft water can prematurely age the vinyl liner. Calcium is cheap so I add it.
Dec 1, 2006
154 posts
44 upvotes
There is no need to add Calcium to a vinyl pool as there is no concrete to etch. However you do need to be careful that Calcium does not get to high. Pool store results are highly inaccurate and the kids that work there don't know how to interpret the results. Invest time in learning about your pool's chemistry and you will save $$$, time, effort and have crystal clear water - head over to troublefreepools - a wealth of information over there, and a great active forum.

On the other hand to low of a PH will cause pool liners to wrinkle.