• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2019 10:40 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54750 posts
19542 upvotes
MikeM21308 wrote: Under NO CIRCUMSTANCE should she EVER get to fiddle with YOUR CREDIT!

EVER.

Have her apply for a secured credit card. END OF STORY!
MikeM21308 wrote: Or, get a new girlfriend who's RESPONSIBLE.

Serious.

Why do dudes fall into this sh?t?
could be the ex-husband's fault.

maybe OP knows this GF is a keeper once these minor issues are done.

If she's spendthrift though, that wouldn't be a good thing.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1556 posts
872 upvotes
Make her get a secured card. No use getting you head cut off for a piece e of tail
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
3794 posts
3300 upvotes
elpaso wrote: I wouldn't touch her credit issues with a 10ft pole !
Jebesus, it's bad credit, not syphilis
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
1660 posts
1355 upvotes
Montreal
BiegeToyota wrote: Jebesus, it's bad credit, not syphilis
I wouldn't let her touch my credit either way.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9097 posts
10457 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
alanbrenton wrote: could be the ex-husband's fault.

maybe OP knows this GF is a keeper once these minor issues are done.

If she's spendthrift though, that wouldn't be a good thing.
It could be all the ex BF, but 90% it’s not. It is in most cases both of their fault and there’s also a chance it’s all her fault. But the OP is wired right now to believing everything she’s says against him. So the ex is the root of all evil.

Also with 2 kids and the way support deals go now, OP could eventually be on the hook for support.

To be honest though, stuff like this happens all the time. Sometimes things work out, sometimes they don’t.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2005
10012 posts
1884 upvotes
Toronto

Serious.

Finally someone with the courage to say the truth.

Being a guy, looks attracts me first, then personality, but after a few months, I wanna meet her family, and soon her financial situation. If I see anything bad, I would rather move on.

Unless I'm pretty unattractive, then maybe I have not much choice. But the beauty of women is, looks isn't their first criteria. Personality is. That my friend you can improve.

Seriously, there are many fishes in the sea. You can't tell me there isn't another girl out there that has the same personality as the one you fell in love with that has a better family, financial credit, etc.

Sorry it's off topic, but this is to everyone's who's reading this and isn't already committed into a relationship.

As I mentioned in another thread, how to achieve financial success, is to marry a richer person than you. Especially in Toronto, it makes a huge difference. I see friends that married a rich dude, goes on vacation a few times a year, Dubai, Paris, Venice, Vegas.

Dating is like hiring a new employee. You have to look at everything. Or reap what you sow
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2005
10012 posts
1884 upvotes
Toronto
cartfan123 wrote: It could be all the ex BF, but 90% it’s not. It is in most cases both of their fault and there’s also a chance it’s all her fault. But the OP is wired right now to believing everything she’s says against him. So the ex is the root of all evil.

Also with 2 kids and the way support deals go now, OP could eventually be on the hook for support.

To be honest though, stuff like this happens all the time. Sometimes things work out, sometimes they don’t.
Ya, financially speaking, it's not gonna be easy. Dating and marrying another with kids from previous marriage. Just know what you are getting into and you have no excuse to complain later.

Also, think of the kids. Are you gonna be able to properly provide them a brighter future? If not, then let another wealthier guy/girl marry her. Even for the kids.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4125 posts
2042 upvotes
Toronto
TomJ29295 wrote: Hello all! Creating a burner account for this. The short version of this is I want to help my long term girlfriend build and repair her credit. Her ex husband totally ruined her credit (complete deadbeat) and left her with 2 kids completely high and dry. She is awesome and I love her and I want to try and help her. My credit is between 740-760 depending on TransUnion or Eqifax, so its not bad.. I've been separated myself and have slowly over time built it back up from the 600s. We are starting a new life together and blending families, she wants to completely cut ties with her ex and finances and start over (which is mostly done now). I've been doing some "googling" and it seems like if I add her to one of my credit cards as an authorized user, that can quickly bring her rating up... true? Or would we have to apply for a credit card together?

It doesn't seem like either of these options will hurt my credit....unless things aren't paid off etc. What I have been doing this last year is using my credit card for 99% of payments and at the end of the month, paying it off in full.

Does anyone have any thoughts of the best and safest way for me to help her and bring her credit up by using my credit to assist?
As mentioned by numerous others, "authorized users" do not count for credit reporting. You can put anyone's name you want on an "authorized users" card, heck even a pet's name if you want. It's just another card linked to your account. The credit card company doesn't really check anything against them.

What is good about authorized users is that you can manage their spending limits for your own safety. So even if you have say a $10K limit on a card, you can set the max amount on an authorized user card to say $500. At least this feature was available on the account I had an authorized user on a while back.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
3292 posts
1838 upvotes
OP in 1-2 years.

Help! My Ex-Girlfriend ruined my credit, is suing me for alimony and cheated on me with her deadbeat ex-bf.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12669 posts
9281 upvotes
Edmonton
Perhaps people could comment on the OP's original question, and not focus on his relationship? After all, he did post in the Personal Finance forum, not the Relationship forum...

This thread is an example of why there's lots of "one and done" posters, IMHO.

C
Oct 29, 2018
279 posts
158 upvotes

Serious.

Some guys wanna be a hero baby
Banned
May 7, 2007
13912 posts
5679 upvotes
TomJ29295 wrote: Hello all! Creating a burner account for this. The short version of this is I want to help my long term girlfriend build and repair her credit. Her ex husband totally ruined her credit (complete deadbeat) and left her with 2 kids completely high and dry. She is awesome and I love her and I want to try and help her. My credit is between 740-760 depending on TransUnion or Eqifax, so its not bad.. I've been separated myself and have slowly over time built it back up from the 600s. We are starting a new life together and blending families, she wants to completely cut ties with her ex and finances and start over (which is mostly done now). I've been doing some "googling" and it seems like if I add her to one of my credit cards as an authorized user, that can quickly bring her rating up... true? Or would we have to apply for a credit card together?

It doesn't seem like either of these options will hurt my credit....unless things aren't paid off etc. What I have been doing this last year is using my credit card for 99% of payments and at the end of the month, paying it off in full.

Does anyone have any thoughts of the best and safest way for me to help her and bring her credit up by using my credit to assist?
Burn Baby, Burn! ))
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2017
5826 posts
4333 upvotes
Find a new girlfriend who is responsible. As a good man, you deserve a better companion.
💳 Amex Cobalt - CIBC Aeroplan VIP - Brim WEMC
Jul 30, 2018
74 posts
43 upvotes
I love how everybody is getting way off topic giving this dude relationship advice etc. Pretty sure he didn’t ask for your opinions on that.
Jul 30, 2018
74 posts
43 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: Perhaps people could comment on the OP's original question, and not focus on his relationship? After all, he did post in the Personal Finance forum, not the Relationship forum...

This thread is an example of why there's lots of "one and done" posters, IMHO.

C
Right?!
Temp. Banned
Apr 20, 2018
151 posts
72 upvotes
Wrong.

The advice given re girlfriend is VALID and goes hand-in-hand with the credit issue. You can't separate the two.
Temp. Banned
Apr 20, 2018
151 posts
72 upvotes
The answers given are how one should go about solving the "issue". This should not be mutually exclusive !
Temp. Banned
Apr 20, 2018
151 posts
72 upvotes
Let's put it this way, chances are really, really, really good, OP is gonna get screwed with someone like this.