• Feb 10th, 2019 10:40 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14613 posts
12652 upvotes
Going to the Moon
OP looking for advice, not opinions. Maybe girlfriend is a keeper. Maybe they want to buy a house and need mortgage approval...

OP...
  1. still food for thought...do your girlfriend's spending habits match yours?
  2. As mentioned, supp cards in Canada won't do any good. But, please "test-drive" her on prepaid cards. Get her Koho and Stack. Koho will soon allow joint accounts. If she spends fast on prepaids, you can decide together how much and how often you fund the card(s)
  3. If you want to get her a real CC, rather than a secured card, you can: get a GIC in her name at Oaken Financial, then she can apply for HomeTrust Preferred VISA. HomeTrust should see the Oaken GIC as a security deposit, and approve a more generous CL. It's also an awesome card. Else have her apply for CTFS (if she hasn't already fudged the relationship with them) and she can start with a lousy, <$1k CL
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1786 posts
1367 upvotes
Bay Area
MikeM21308 wrote: So an opinion can't be used as advice?
Not an uninformed opinion no.

Some posters are making baseless assumptions about OP's gf based off of stereotypes and god knows what else. Their opinion is worth as much as the paper I wipe my ass with.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1786 posts
1367 upvotes
Bay Area
I'll save you the trouble, here are some choice selections.
mech9t5 wrote:
Give OP a break. He's about to destroy his credit... LOL
MikeM21308 wrote: Or, get a new girlfriend who's RESPONSIBLE.

Serious.

Why do dudes fall into this sh?t?
rfdrfd wrote:
Finally someone with the courage to say the truth.

Being a guy, looks attracts me first, then personality, but after a few months, I wanna meet her family, and soon her financial situation. If I see anything bad, I would rather move on.

Unless I'm pretty unattractive, then maybe I have not much choice. But the beauty of women is, looks isn't their first criteria. Personality is. That my friend you can improve.

Seriously, there are many fishes in the sea. You can't tell me there isn't another girl out there that has the same personality as the one you fell in love with that has a better family, financial credit, etc.

Sorry it's off topic, but this is to everyone's who's reading this and isn't already committed into a relationship.

As I mentioned in another thread, how to achieve financial success, is to marry a richer person than you. Especially in Toronto, it makes a huge difference. I see friends that married a rich dude, goes on vacation a few times a year, Dubai, Paris, Venice, Vegas.

Dating is like hiring a new employee. You have to look at everything. Or reap what you sow
Dpack22 wrote: OP in 1-2 years.

Help! My Ex-Girlfriend ruined my credit, is suing me for alimony and cheated on me with her deadbeat ex-bf.
All baseless speculations (along with subtle judgement) without any substance.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14613 posts
12652 upvotes
Going to the Moon
MikeM21308 wrote: So an opinion can't be used as advice?
arkane wrote: Not an uninformed opinion no.

Some posters are making baseless assumptions about OP's gf based off of stereotypes and god knows what else. Their opinion is worth as much as the paper I wipe my ass with.
arkane wrote: I'll save you the trouble, here are some choice selections.
All baseless speculations (along with subtle judgement) without any substance.
Big +1 this!!

OP doesn't care what others on this thread think. OP (a seperated/divorced gent) has made the decision to combine his life (at least in common law) with his new girlfriend, who is also separated or divorced. Not that it matters, but OP claims that girlfriend's financial history was ruined by her ex.

OP would like "advice" on moving forward (improving girlfriend's credit history...maybe they'd like a joint mortgage down the road, even still, doesn't matter). Out of the W's, OP doesn't care about what others think about the "who", the "why", the "where", the "when", or the "what". OP is only seeking advice on the "how".

@arkane too bad you left the maple leaf state, since here you could have got toilet paper free via redeeming eCTM earned through a plethora of ways thanks to CTFS. That said, others' opinions are worth less than the free Canadian Tire toilet paper.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1786 posts
1367 upvotes
Bay Area
titaniumtux wrote: Big +1 this!!

OP doesn't care what others on this thread think. OP (a seperated/divorced gent) has made the decision to combine his life (at least in common law) with his new girlfriend, who is also separated or divorced. Not that it matters, but OP claims that girlfriend's financial history was ruined by her ex.

OP would like "advice" on moving forward (improving girlfriend's credit history...maybe they'd like a joint mortgage down the road, even still, doesn't matter). Out of the W's, OP doesn't care about what others think about the "who", the "why", the "where", the "when", or the "what". OP is only seeking advice on the "how".

@arkane too bad you left the maple leaf state, since here you could have got toilet paper free via redeeming eCTM earned through a plethora of ways thanks to CTFS. That said, others' opinions are worth less than the free Canadian Tire toilet paper.
I literally lol'd Face With Tears Of Joy
May 1, 2015
838 posts
600 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The answer is no, adding someone to your credit card as a supplementary card holder does not help that persons credit. Only way for someone to improve their credit if by using credit in their own name. Get her to apply for a secured card in her name.

Everyone else has already given enough relationship advise so I shall refrain.
Running successful Spotify group buy since June 2018
Running successful Netflix group buy since Dec 2017
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2018
1914 posts
1019 upvotes
I think only RBC and maybe one of bank allows the “add user with sin” and it starts reporting, 99% of cards now though only do supplementary. I had this exact thing recently with the wife except she’s was new to canada so they had an offering for her.

Get a capital one secured card, even if you have a card that allows you to convert to joint account it only reports current not old history, so it’s no different than her getting a capital one secured card and doing it on her own then upgrading to a second card etc
Temp. Banned
Apr 20, 2018
151 posts
72 upvotes
Do you know the OP? No you don't. So therefore you can't speak on his behalf.

You don't know his motivations really. He may decide, eh, she ain't worth the trouble based
on my comments. Right?
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
2828 posts
1359 upvotes
Pure entertainment ... free and priceless.
Loose lips sink ships. | Her Majesty's Naval Service
Temp. Banned
Apr 20, 2018
151 posts
72 upvotes
And yet, there are people here who don't get that, nor want to hear that. Yup, help out the girlfriend with BAD CREDIT.
Temp. Banned
Apr 20, 2018
151 posts
72 upvotes
BUT, said girlfriend can still screw you over on the supplementary card...HELL NO!
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14613 posts
12652 upvotes
Going to the Moon
MikeM21308 wrote: BUT, said girlfriend can still screw you over on the supplementary card...HELL NO!
Don't need a supp card for screw-up's to happen in a relationship.
Temp. Banned
Apr 20, 2018
151 posts
72 upvotes
Those two go hand-in-hand. And sadly, a lot of people don't seem to get this...
Banned
May 7, 2007
13912 posts
5671 upvotes
You do the dishes ... She'll do the fishes )))
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
35343 posts
4387 upvotes
Winnipeg
cyberbruce wrote: I love how everybody is getting way off topic giving this dude relationship advice etc. Pretty sure he didn’t ask for your opinions on that.
it may be the question he should have asked instead.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2016
1468 posts
1123 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Has OP even replied to this thread?