Real Estate

Adding Laundry to every floor...Is this floorpan Feasible?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 1st, 2020 9:25 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2007
1028 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto

Adding Laundry to every floor...Is this floorpan Feasible?

Closing on a Triplex few months from now. Just looking and the floorpan and trying to see what i can achieve without any major structural changes.
Here are my goals:

-Add Small 3rd bedroom to Lower unit by clearing out current laundry area and cutting out space from current second bedroom to relocate Laundry room.

-Add Second Bathroom to Basement Unit by Taking a bit away from the Master bedroom

-Add W/D and Laundry Space to each unit (Lower unit as described above. For second and third unit, assuming the entry closet space is large enough, split it in half and put a stacked W/D in one half)

-Open Concept layout on each floor by knocking out wall between Kitchen area and Dining area.

Don't really have much to go by since i won't be receiving the keys for a while. So am just tinkering with the floorplans unprofessionally on my laptop and would love to hear what others think about it.

Below are the current floorplan of the building and my unprofessionally edited floorpan which am hoping is feasible.
Images
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 12.48.26 PM.png
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 12.47.55 PM.png
Stumbled upon RFD by mistake, best mistake of my internet life i must say...... :D
8 replies
Dec 5, 2009
189 posts
87 upvotes
Of course it's feasible. You aren't doing anything too crazy here. It just depends on how much $ you want to put into it. Plumbing/electrical can be relocated almost anywhere but you might end up having to cut up/replace more walls than you think to achieve it.
Nov 4, 2019
50 posts
13 upvotes
olddog wrote: Closing on a Triplex few months from now. Just looking and the floorpan and trying to see what i can achieve without any major structural changes.
Here are my goals:

-Add Small 3rd bedroom to Lower unit by clearing out current laundry area and cutting out space from current second bedroom to relocate Laundry room.

-Add Second Bathroom to Basement Unit by Taking a bit away from the Master bedroom

-Add W/D and Laundry Space to each unit (Lower unit as described above. For second and third unit, assuming the entry closet space is large enough, split it in half and put a stacked W/D in one half)

-Open Concept layout on each floor by knocking out wall between Kitchen area and Dining area.

Don't really have much to go by since i won't be receiving the keys for a while. So am just tinkering with the floorplans unprofessionally on my laptop and would love to hear what others think about it.

Below are the current floorplan of the building and my unprofessionally edited floorpan which am hoping is feasible.
Where is this project?
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3381 posts
2725 upvotes
Are the first floor plans from the actual builder? If so, generally thick interior walls indicate load bearing walls. That will make it costly to remove the laundry room in lower unit.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7258 posts
3422 upvotes
Is there a limit to how many laundry appliances one can install in a single family home? A friend of mine is annoyed because his neighbour has installed so many laundry's in their home and they are always running all day filling his backyard with laundry fumes.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14263 posts
7244 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
In the basement suite, I would make the laundry room a lot smaller to match the size of the upper two suites and use that space either as a closet for that second bedroom or a panty for the kitchen.
Jul 15, 2020
59 posts
50 upvotes
Are you getting a permit to do this? Just curious. I know ppl dont get permits sometimes so not sure whats acceptable and whats not
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2007
1028 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
Chocobrownie wrote: Where is this project?
Somewhere in North York
skeet50 wrote: Are the first floor plans from the actual builder? If so, generally thick interior walls indicate load bearing walls. That will make it costly to remove the laundry room in lower unit.
Yes. The first floorpans are from builder. The basement unit is the only place where i might have to remove some load bearing walls to achieve the open concept for the kitchen and make the 3rd bedroom bigger. I can leave the 3rd bedroom as a 7X7. but i don't think the two load bearing walls in question will be hard to remove if done right and to code.
craftsman wrote: In the basement suite, I would make the laundry room a lot smaller to match the size of the upper two suites and use that space either as a closet for that second bedroom or a panty for the kitchen.
Smart Idea. I like that. Thanks
BearBullBear wrote: Are you getting a permit to do this? Just curious. I know ppl dont get permits sometimes so not sure whats acceptable and whats not
With the exception of the laundry room and kitchen wall in basement , i don't believe the rest require any major reno. Removing non-load bearing walls doesn't require permits from what i know.
In any event, my contractor will get the right permits if necessary. Its not his first rendezvous with a triplex reno.
Stumbled upon RFD by mistake, best mistake of my internet life i must say...... :D