• Last Updated:
  • Feb 26th, 2018 2:56 pm
[OP]
May 20, 2012
104 posts
9 upvotes
VANCOUVER

Adding multiple businesses under 1 CRA login

Hi everyone. I have an existing business that I can access through CRA's website. I use my SIN to login to the Business Account service, then I can see all the accounts and everything else I need.

However, I'm now incorporating 2 more businesses, and I'd like to access them the same way. There's a drop-down at the top of the Business Account dashboard, which seems to suggest that I can have multiple corps linked to my SIN. But I can't figure out how to add them. Has anyone been able to add multiple corps?

If I go down the route of registering a new corporation from scratch, it asks me to create a whole new User ID. But I already have a User ID, and what I want to do it attach the new companies to this ID.

I know I can probably call CRA, but I don't have 3 hours to sit on hold. If anyone knows the answer to this, that would be awesome :)
8 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2007
1912 posts
299 upvotes
Calgary
It will happen automatically. After you incorporate the new entities, you will need to register each of them to get a new BN for each and link the various CRA accounts you want for each (corporate, GST and/or payroll). It used to be on the old RC-2 form but I see they've now put it online with a tool called BRO to make it "easier". This old cynic always smiles when an enterprise tells me something online will make it easier; but I digress.

After you complete the registration plus whatever processing time is required to get it validated and entered in the CRA systems, your new BN will magically appear in that drop-down list.

One last piece of advice: don't register for a particular CRA sub-account until you really need it. It is easy to add one later but much more complicated to drop one.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2007
1912 posts
299 upvotes
Calgary
I forgot to mention you can only get 10 BN's in the drop-down. The 11th company associated to your SIN throws the whole thing into a tizzy. IBM must have used the same programmers that developed the Phoenix payroll system, couldn't possibly conceive that someone might have more businesses than they had fingers.
Mar 30, 2016
72 posts
45 upvotes
Get this question all the time. When you get your business number login to my business account, on the left side click profile, then click add business number.
No external links in signatures, please see the forum rules - Moderator.
[OP]
May 20, 2012
104 posts
9 upvotes
VANCOUVER
ardonn wrote: Get this question all the time. When you get your business number login to my business account, on the left side click profile, then click add business number.
Thanks! I just tried that and it said this:
"Error: According to our records, you are not listed either as a primary contact or the owner of the business associated with this Business Number (BN)."

However, I am both the owner and the primary contact. Does it take a few days for the system to get the new information?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 21, 2007
5652 posts
589 upvotes
Markham
van800 wrote: Thanks! I just tried that and it said this:
"Error: According to our records, you are not listed either as a primary contact or the owner of the business associated with this Business Number (BN)."

However, I am both the owner and the primary contact. Does it take a few days for the system to get the new information?
can be hit or miss...

call 1-800-959-5525...hit * and talk to an agent...mention your issue and they will correct so that you can get it added
[OP]
May 20, 2012
104 posts
9 upvotes
VANCOUVER
adeel wrote: can be hit or miss...

call 1-800-959-5525...hit * and talk to an agent...mention your issue and they will correct so that you can get it added
Thanks! They didn't have my SIN attached to the account. All fixed now and I was able to add it
Mar 30, 2016
72 posts
45 upvotes
Glad you got it sorted out. As Adeel said it can be hit and miss, sometimes CRA misspells your name or the system doesn't correctly link you up.
No external links in signatures, please see the forum rules - Moderator.