Home & Garden

Adding new wall to divide a room in Montreal. Do I need a permit?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2020 6:55 am
Tags:
[OP]
May 19, 2015
29 posts
141 upvotes

Adding new wall to divide a room in Montreal. Do I need a permit?

Hi.

I'm looking to add a wall with a door to an existing long room to create a new office space. It would require no electrics or plumbing and is not load-bearing.

I've tried to figure out if this needs a permit but I'm struggling to get an answer.

I've tried contacting the permit office for Ville-Marie in Montreal without any luck and I can't find anything regarding adding new walls and permits online.

Does anyone have any insights?

Many Thanks!
9 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4618 posts
4052 upvotes
Toronto
Technically you should likely get a permit for this, but 90% of people wouldn't bother.

However, you do need to concern yourself with fire codes etc. for egress etc. especially if it were ever to be used as a bedroom. You don't want to be blocking off an escape route in the event of a fire.
[OP]
May 19, 2015
29 posts
141 upvotes
Thanks for the advice. The page was exactly what we were looking for!
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9961 upvotes
Edmonton
RussellL083 wrote: Thanks for the advice. The page was exactly what we were looking for!
Keep in mind that to pass your building permit inspection, you'll need to meet electrical requirement as well. In your case, a wall typically needs a certain number of outlets on it. Which means an electrical permit and inspection as well.

C
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2014
4218 posts
9619 upvotes
45° 36' 44.9964'' N …
plus the room will need two exits ...part of the fire code
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5045 posts
2734 upvotes
GTA
2Riskit wrote: plus the room will need two exits ...part of the fire code
Does a walk in closet need another exit?
Apr 8, 2020
716 posts
467 upvotes
Maybe some Ikea "system" floor to ceiling to divide the room ?
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13458 posts
2747 upvotes
Toronto
shabby wrote: Does a walk in closet need another exit?
My bathroom only has one exit. Is the second exit technically through the ceiling fan? Just curious if that’s a thing
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1339 posts
916 upvotes
London, On
shabby wrote: Does a walk in closet need another exit?
It's an interesting question, because at my last house, I had to have an inspection done on my basement. I had a room in the basement with a window, that also had another room off it, which was about the size of a walk in closet and in fact that's what it basically was. However, the basement window in that room wasn't a legal egress size (so I couldn't call the room a bedroom). The inspector said the closet needed it's own separate exit that didn't go through that other room. If the window in the room was legal egress size, then the closet would have been fine. As it happened, I never did anything about it because the inspector didn't look at that part of the basement the next time he came, although I was prepared to cut a hole in the drywall between the closet and the hallway to satisfy his inspection if needed, and just fill it back in after he was gone.

So, I believe that as long as the walkin closet exits into a room with 2 egress routes, then it is fine.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)