• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2021 8:31 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
3525 posts
645 upvotes

Adding a roof underneath existing deck

I have a 24x12 deck and I decided to use the space underneath it for storage so I am looking for a DIY ideas how I can install a roof underneath the deck?

I considered doing something like the picture below but my concern is the 2by4 would block the water and thus rot fairly quickly and in the winter jam with ice possibly causing problems.
Any sugestions or ideas?
roof.jpg
11 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1209 posts
2200 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
I have an 11x28ft deck. I did what you have in the picture with 12ft non perforated aluminum white soffit. Looks great. 3 years so far no issues. You'll need two people to install it as it comes in 12ft strips and the aluminum bends easy if you're not careful. Go for it. We enjoy the covered space and it looks excellent. You'll need "j" channels on the sides and we put an eavestrough on the inside that runs to a downsput to collect the drainage and out to the grass. Easy peasy. Took a weekend to install with two ppl. (We have a walk out basement)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
3525 posts
645 upvotes
fordmaple wrote: I have an 11x28ft deck. I did what you have in the picture with 12ft non perforated aluminum white soffit. Looks great. 3 years so far no issues. You'll need two people to install it as it comes in 12ft strips and the aluminum bends easy if you're not careful. Go for it. We enjoy the covered space and it looks excellent. You'll need "j" channels on the sides and we put an eavestrough on the inside that runs to a downsput to collect the drainage and out to the grass. Easy peasy. Took a weekend to install with two ppl. (We have a walk out basement)
The 2x4 dont clog the water at all? What about ice issues in the winter?
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1209 posts
2200 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
The water runs down the "ramp" and flows through the gap/valley in the sheathing. It might but I've never noticed an issue.
Mar 17, 2004
494 posts
56 upvotes
whatever celling material/system you end up using, make sure you take into account proper venting to prevent dry rot of the decking joists. I dont know what the rule of thumb would be for prevent such a scenario but I'm sure someone on this forum will chime in with a more informed opinion.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11977 posts
7133 upvotes
Paris
I did exactly what is pictured in 2008 between 2 beams and then it runs to an eavestrough. Still works perfectly. Ice doesnt really have time to form under the deck, as it all melted water. Snow doesnt get in there either. So if it melts then freezes, no more water comes in and a little probably freezes in the “roof”.

I also angled mine for a drop of 2” over 9 feet using strapping that gets a little thicker as it goes.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5555 posts
1775 upvotes
Toronto
Have deck thats about 12ft depth out from house. But the main crossbeam 2x10 is at about 10ft, with 2ft overhanging. Joists are sitting on top on the beam.

Seems like best option would be just cover the 10ft and have a gutter just before the crossbeam to direct water away. Any other better option?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9978 posts
4257 upvotes
Vaughan
Why OP? Is there anything wrong leave it as is? You get more usage space for hooks, open space. It is easier to maintain. May be you can paint/stain with colour you like (outdoor paint).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
3525 posts
645 upvotes
teoconca wrote: Why OP? Is there anything wrong leave it as is? You get more usage space for hooks, open space. It is easier to maintain. May be you can paint/stain with colour you like (outdoor paint).
I want to store stuff under it and right now it gets wet.
Dec 6, 2020
937 posts
1041 upvotes
HammerJoe wrote: I considered doing something like the picture below but my concern is the 2by4 would block the water and thus rot fairly quickly and in the winter jam with ice possibly causing problems.
Any sugestions or ideas?

roof.jpg
The setup shown in the seems like a decent idea provided pay attention to water management and don't live in a very rainy location:

1. Drop the corrugated plastic/metal few more inches below the deck joists to allow for air flow. The more room, the better.

2. Slope everything so water that hits the ceiling-roof runs away from your house. There should not be any water accumulating on the ceiling-roof. Anything that lands there must drain away rapidly.

3. Use water-tolerant wood (cedar or pressure treated) and water-tolerant fasteners (e.g. non-rusting deck screws) for the strapping.

4. You may have water issues through the screw holes where the ceiling-roof is screwed to the strapping. Use rubber washers on every screw if possible, or alternatively caulk around the screw heads.

5. Use chickenwire, or fencing wire, to seal off the space between the ceiling-roof and the structural deck to keep wildlife out.
Penalty Box
Jun 26, 2009
5142 posts
4878 upvotes
GTA
Kiraly wrote: @HammerJoe You are adding a ceiling, not a roof. Roof is what you see from the sky looking down. Ceiling is what you see from inside the structure looking up.
Hi Smartie, so why do they say "roof over your head" not roof under your feet? If I'm looking down I see the floor, not the roof.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)